Industry / academia collaboration

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Industry / academia collaboration

Post by bromley »

Biogen and Johns Hopkins are collaborating. Seems a good idea (please don't mention to Harry Z)

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j11 ... 5&w=464753
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Industry / academia collaboration

Post by HarryZ »

bromley wrote:Biogen and Johns Hopkins are collaborating. Seems a good idea (please don't mention to Harry Z)
Too late! :D

There has been some speculation on this side of the pond that some other big pharmas may be purchasing Biogen/IDEC. At the same time others have said that Biogen's neuroscience division is sadly lacking in innovation and pipeline drugs so buying into John Hopkin's research division seems like a good idea.

Harry
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Here is the Biogen press release.

http://www.biogenidec.com/site/news-and ... PR_184.htm

Harry,

Further mergers in this sector wouldn't surprise me. It's difficult to work out who owns who. Merck now own Serono. Campath (my tipple) was invented at Cambridge University, then sold to Ilex Oncology, now owned by Genzyme, and Bayer also seem to have some involvement! Many of Biogen's products e.g. Rituximab seem to be jointly owned with other companies.

Hope you are well. I know you like dabbling on the stock market but (my advice) don't buy shares in a UK bank called Northern Rock.

Ian
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Bromley,

When there is so much money within big pharma, it's no wonder that these companies are buying other competitors to try and get that slight edge. Just a few percentage points in a particular market can mean millions and millions of dollars.

I'm fine but Marg isn't. She's been in hospital since last Wednesday with Pancreatitis and a blood disorder. Bad enough one has to cope with SPMS and now this. She's quite sick to say the least and will likely be in the hospital for a number of more days.

Harry
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Harry, sorry to hear about Marg. I hope she makes a full, speedy recovery.
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

Harry,

I also hope that your wife gets well soon and back home.

gwa

Return to “General Discussion”