Depression and MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
helpforms

Depression and MS

Post by helpforms »

Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone is taking an antidepressant for MS symptoms. If so do you find it helps to cope better. I am feeling overwhelmed by my symptoms at the moment and I am considering asking my doctor for something. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I tried Prozac, but not for depression. I had read many articles of neurogenesis (in mice....). I didn't notice ANY emotional change when I was on it (twice). When I told my Dr, he said that it is thought in some circles if your not serotonin depleted, it wont make a difference.

Other things you might like to look into is DHEA. It has been found to "elevate mood" and is low in people with MS (I hear). There has also been some positive studies with depression and Omega-3; again considered good for MS.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Hello helpforms,
I tried Prozac about seven years ago to try and cope with those overwhelming feelings you mentioned, and had a reaction to it: after four days, (normally way too soon for it to take effect), I experienced the most incredible feeling of euphoria I've ever had in my life. It lasted for about 4 hours, never came back, and never showed any anti depressive effects even though I remained on Prozac for several months, (I really wish I could experience that again, never mind its neurogenetic potential!), and now I'm on Citalopram which I find seems to keep me on an even keel, I hope you are able to find something which will help you to get through this, but you may have to try a few different things before you hit on the right one and remember it can be weeks before you notice any effect,
Dom
helpforms

Deppression & MS

Post by helpforms »

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm going to try Effexor, I had very good luck with it a couple of years ago and things have gotten a little worse since then. I can't determine if I have low seratonin, low coping skills (pain, situational problems, going into that next phase of life) who knows?
(To Dom to bad we couldn't squeeze life into that 4 hours you felt, wouldn't that be the cats a**) :lol: I'll keep you posted.

Bye for Now
Nancy
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Is depression from a chronic disease different from someone that is depressed because of a chemical imbalance in the brain and if so how do the drugs like Prozac ect work on us, people that may not have a imbalance but just have a disease that has taken most everything from the life . Doctors jump to give you these feel good drugs but can they work for those that aren’t necessarily depressed but just tired of things.
When you get a disease like this does your brain automatically create the chemical that makes you feel depressed or lower your seratonin levels and are these the chemicals that all the happy drugs work on to correct.
Do they have a drug that can make you feel better being a cripple? I think I already have this drug and it’s not Prozac and it’s not made in a test tube.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Those are damn good questions Robbie. I have ofter pondered similar thoughts. A co-worker told me - Clinical Depression is when you are depressed for no real reason. You are just super bumed out because you got screwed with MS. Very profound!?

I kind of agree a bit with that angle, but I am depressed for sure. I take 150 md daily SR Wellbutrion which helps. Prozac was awful for me and gave me ED which further bummed me out. That was temporary and abated once I stopped that stuff. I agree that everyone reacts different to those drugs and trying a few might be the best bet.

The MS & depression link is clear and also the interfeurons alsop make people depressed. You may want to look at my post MS Depression & Me. There were some good responses to that.

Good luck
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

gave me ED
Hey Grumpster, tried Prozak and Effexor a long time ago, it didn't give me ED but the years of ms have (like trying to stuff a marshmallow into a piggy bank) it's been a couple years now and i really miss it as i'm sure any guy would. Really having a hard time but i know these kind of drugs are not for me, to far along for most anything.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helpforms

Post by helpforms »

Sorry, the Effexor is getting to me just wondering if we're talking about the muppets :P
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Try it all. Depression, in my opinion, is a VERY slippery slope when coupled with MS. I mean we already have all the self doubt, the feelings of not mattering anymore and all that. We definitely don't need anymore of that than is already there for us. Whatever it takes to stave off depression; be it drugs, therapy, a good friend, whatever. Just try and keep from getting too depressed (that sounds easy :roll: ). I just don't think we all need anymore help in the getting screwed by MS dept. It's already taking away so much physically that it can kiss my ass when it comes to taking my attitude and outlook.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

My husband's depression became a problem in 2001...it was six years later he was diagnosed with MS. I believe his severe depression was the the first symptom of his disease progression. He began Effexor in 2001, and has remained on the lowest dosage for six years. It has made a huge difference in his ability to deal with anxiety and stress. He has been proactive and positive since his MS diagnosis, and although he continues to have normal highs and lows, the debilitating depression is gone.
AC
missvicki
Family Member

Post by missvicki »

From what I've read, depression is common for those that have MS. I've been on Effexor for 5 years and am now titrating over to Cymbalta to see if it will help with my nerve pain. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if it is working.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssmme
Family Elder

Zoloft

Post by ssmme »

I have been on Zoloft since the birth of my triplets 5 years ago. I had a lot of birth issues that probably directly related to my MS diagnosis but that's another whole issue. Anyhow, I liked the way the Zoloft made me feel. It took the edge off my "must do it myself or it won't be done right" attitude. I guess this has also helped me with facing the MS diagnosis and the fact that I have to let others help me with some of the things I used to do myself but am no longer physically capable of doing.
Marcia