MRI Cervical/Thoracic This AM - Thoughts?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
justmeandmytingling

MRI Cervical/Thoracic This AM - Thoughts?

Post by justmeandmytingling »

Had my cervical/thoracic MRI this AM. It was ordered "with contrast", however the tech said they may not need the contrast. I said "I thought the contrast made lesions brighter and more noticeable"? She said, "well, if the radiologist feels he has enough info to make a diagnosis, we won't need the contrast". We DID NOT need the contrast. So, this tells me they found lesions? What do you guys think? I have to wait two days and give them a call for results. The tech is also aware that I have spine (deg disk disease). This was a VERY long MRI - I was almost at my wits end, I was hurting all over the place and I squeezed the ball and asked her how much more longer. She said we are done. I spent 1.5 hrs in that tube, uuuugggggh! My neuro appt isn't until 12/5.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

"Contrast" was explain to me as showing currently "active" lesions.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Hello tingling,
When I first read what the tech said to you I thought exactly as you did: that MUST mean the lesions are big and bold and clear enough to not need enhancing, but I suppose the opposite could be true; the scan might be so clear that there is no suggestion of anything more to look at. I hope that's the case but whichever, that 90 minutes in the tube sounds like a nightmare!
Dom
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i had contrast on my dx mri and no contrast on the follow-up one. they pretty much look the same, except for the healing that's happened. you can see the lesions or focal areas, whatever, either way.

i have a few crap disks too, ting. which ones are going bad on you? mine are all in my neck. the neuro says my neck is 'ratty'. i have been starting to look into that whole process and how to get blood supply and nutrients into those difficult inner areas.
justmeandmytingling

Post by justmeandmytingling »

Hey Jimmy. Well, let's see, where do I start. I'm 38 years old and have osteoarthritis/degenerative disk disease YIPPEEE!!

In my neck, I have bulging disks, some stenosis on left side along with facet arthropathy. I also have reversal of cervical lordosis, neck spasms, etc. That was from MRI 2 years ago.

Lumbar, I have 1 herniation and several bulges with one annular tear in a sac, that I think has healed. I have facet arthopathy all over the place. also have bilateral sacroilitis (sacroiliac joints). I Have had NUMEROUS injections in both. Ironically, my back is feeling pretty good now adays unless I over do it. I just have to be careful. That was also from MRI 2 years ago.

I don't know about my thoracic spine, never had an MRI of that area until yesterday. However, in the past xrays did reveal deg disk changes.

I can't wait until I get my results.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yikes, ur barely older than me. i have spent a bit of time on that spine-health site, you must know it backwards and forwards. know what you mean about anxious for results! good to know what's going on in there. what can u do for it besides the injections? what do they inject into you?