Music...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Music...

Postby cheerleader » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:53 pm

I'm kinda reticent to do this, because I'm sensitive to everyone's varying levels of ability/disability and in general, I'm a bit wary of making proclamations... but I had a mini revelation this week...

We had a good report from my husband's neurologist. She's pleased with his lack of exacerbations or attacks since his dx last March. In trying to understand why his function is so high, especially with his high lesion load (over 20 on brain and spine) we have been very thankful for science, medicine, and our faith, but I think we may have over-looked one of the most obvious and important factors in both our lives...music.

My husband and I are both professional musicians; daily creating, performing and listening to music. There's been so much research done recently on brain plasticity and music, and music therapy is now an accepted complimentary treatment. I know that music has been a balm for me this year, losing my 40 year old brother to a heart attack, and having my husband diagnosed. Listening to Anonymous 4 singing Hildegard von Bingen, or toe-tapping to Earth, Wind and Fire-have provided catharsis and healing.

Maybe there's more to music than we understand...just wanted to encourage everyone to turn on the stereo or ipod, pick up the guitar, find a music therapy class, tickle the ivories or sing in the shower. We may not know what the future holds, but music makes the present moment better.

best,
AC
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby carolew » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:04 pm

I just want to say that if i dance to the sound of music, my left leg gets better. It is like physiotherapy for me. Keeping the beat seems to tell my brain how to work. So, every time I have a chance, I dance. Maybe it's the music like you said but I listen to music as often as I can. If I dance to it, the results are even better. So, happy swinging everybody, Carole
carolew
Family Elder

Postby Loobie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:11 pm

There is no doubt that it stimulates different areas of the brain than anything else. I have always been a major fan of music. Like over the top with it. Before we sold them, I had over 500 albums. I was a Hi-Fi freak and used to play the piano. Not anything major, just the usual lessons as a kid.

The only time I stay out late anymore is to go see my friend's band play. I've completely quit drinking because of my dizziness so I didn't go to a club for a while. I am hosetly unable to stay out late unless I'm listening to live music. I pay for it every time the next day but I don't care. He is a really good blues and classic rock (Trower, Hendrix, the Meters) guitarist who does some covers but mostly originals. Check him out at http://ericjerardi.com. His music will instantly put me in a good mood. I don't know if it's that I really like it loud, but it really is one of the few times that I don't think about my MS.

I hate that I'm almost constantly aware of my MS. Sometimes I think I'm obsessing about it, but then I just turn my head or start walking and it's almost impossible not to think about it all the time. So the escape music gives me is kind of unique. I'll listen to almost anything but old country and new hip hop. I was listening to a really good version of Bach "Air" the other day. I swear that song is close to perfect. I just closed my eyes and absorbed it. It might be that I can really live "right now" as you say and appreciate it more than I used to, but music has been good for me too. Put on some early Elton John or some Beatles on Sunday morning and I sometimes don't notice (or care) how shitty I feel until I'm done. Music is definitely good MoJo for me.

I think it also has to do something with the way it stimulates your memory. I always think about the good times or whatever that the song reminds me of. If there is a song that I connect with a bad memory, I don't listen to it. You talking about Earth, Wind and Fire made me think of being at Junior High dances at the rec center and doing "the white man shuffle" (I can't dance well at all) to September and hoping to have someone to make out with when you weren't dancing. I will get out my trusty Chicago Transit Authority and listen the the first disc non-stop and just get lost. I'm waxing nostalgic now, but it really does help me. Thanks for reminding me how much I appreciate it!
Loobie
Family Elder

Postby ssmme » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:30 am

I love to listen to music at home, in the car, virtually everywhere and this is definitely something I am going to be cognizant about. I wonder if it helps give me more energy. Hmmm...

I'll keep you informed. Gee another experiment.

Marcia
Marcia
ssmme
Family Elder

Postby Terry » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:20 pm

I'm going with it. What could it hurt? IPOD in my ears as I type.... Oh Puff the magic dragon...... HA!
Terry
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:49 pm

Author/neurologist Oliver Sacks has a new book out on music and the mind- "Musicophilia"
Looks quite interesting. There's some info on his site

http://oliversacks.com/news/category/music/

Hubby just started provigil to help with fatigue...he's got more energy and is composing as I write. Hope Marcia and Terry are humming along!

best,
AC
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: Music

Postby NHE » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Regarding Oliver Sacks, he recently gave a talk which was broadcast on NPR and is available from their website.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion