does flu = relapse?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
missvicki
Family Member

does flu = relapse?

Post by missvicki »

I'm at home with the flu :(

The last time I had the stomach flu was 3 years ago and right before my dx. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days with dehydration. I think I've read some prior posts that indicated others have experienced relapses while dealing with the flu. Needless to say...I'm worried. I haven't left bed, just trying to get rest and drink water. Should I take my Rebif shot tonight? I'll call MS Lifelines and see what they say.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Lyon wrote:There are people who have said that their only exacerbations have been brought on by the flu, which is probably a combination of fact, self fulfilling prophecy and out and out coincidence.
It took me a couple of years to realise i had relapses after a flu, before I even knew it was MS. After over ten years, it has been my only trigger for one. I have also read it in medical articles that it is considered a risk for relapse. I would definitely put it in the fact pile with no dilution of "self fulfilling prophecy" or "coincidence". For me it is the only trigger for a relapse (apart from flagyl)
Lyon wrote:If anything, interferon is reputed to have an anti-viral effect.
I have read that too, but my worst relapse was after a flu, while on rebif.

I am not sure exactly what a "stomach flu" really is? I once had food poisoning which the doctor said was viral, but I cant remember that it actually triggered a relapse.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Lyon wrote:It's funny that you mention that Cure, I don't know either!
Lyon wrote:... and later I had the stomach flu so bad I thought it was going to kill me.
So now you thought you would try to confuse me huh... :?

I did a quick bit of research, and I think the base of it comes down to a viral infection of the gastric tract, by a virus that inst the influenza strain. ==>Reference
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Lyon wrote:I still don't understand why, if the flu is a virus and stomach "flu" is a virus, why they can't just throw a little of that in the flu vaccine and make me happy?
And while they are at it throw in one for polio, and ... and ... They probably have financial limits on research somewhere, and the stomach flu is obviously not what drives the market. Or maybe its like HIV, and there is no vaccine.