Anyone out there with their Brainstem affected by MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Anyone out there with their Brainstem affected by MS?

Postby Fighter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 pm

I have experienced neurological symptoms since 2001. However, I did not receive my diagnosis until Dec. 2007. My MRI showed significant damage to my Brainstem. It does explain my tachycardia and neurogenic bladder.
Has anyone experienced Brainstem damage?
A fighter of MS
Fighter
Getting to Know You...

Advertisement

Postby GeoGuy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Fighter,

I was diagnosed last January when a large lesion formed in my brainstem. It gave me vertigo and double vision which was treated with Solumedrol and physical therapy. I have not had bladder issues or tachycardia. But as they say, everyones MS is different.
RRMS since 01/07.
GeoGuy
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:46 pm

i can't remember.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby CureOrBust » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:24 am

My last MRI talked of lesions in my "pons", which if i am not mistaken, is on the brainstem.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby lamom » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:36 pm

I don't have a diagnosis, but do have a one cm lesion on my brainstem- midline of the midbrain I believe. The symptoms that brought me to the nuero were dizziness and ringing in the ear-
lamom
Getting to Know You...

Postby lamom » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:38 pm

what is considered a large lesion btw? I can't ever seem to get a good answer- nuero described my 1 cm lesion as "a tiny spot"...
lamom
Getting to Know You...

Dizzyness and ringing in the ears

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:11 am

lamom, the symptoms you mention
The symptoms that brought me to the nuero were dizziness and ringing in the ear-
seem quite commonly associated with other problems. For example, were you checked for sinus problems--sinus infection or sinusitis?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Brainstem

Postby Fighter » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:55 pm

I believe 1 cm lesion is considered small.
I guess this discussion shows that neurologist do not explain to patients where their lesions are and how their symptoms relate to where the lesion is in the brain.

I just wanted to know how people where doing with Brainstem involement since that is where my lesions primarily are.
A fighter of MS
Fighter
Getting to Know You...

Postby scoobyjude » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:07 pm

I have a lesion on my brainstem that was found 4 years ago. I don't know if it was considered large or small but I had various major symptoms. Not sure which were from that lesion and which were from cervical lesion. I don't know how much permanent damage I suffered but on my last MRI my neuro told me it is almost indetectable now.
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Re: Dizzyness and ringing in the ears

Postby lamom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:53 pm

lyndacarol wrote:lamom, the symptoms you mention
The symptoms that brought me to the nuero were dizziness and ringing in the ear-
seem quite commonly associated with other problems. For example, were you checked for sinus problems--sinus infection or sinusitis?

Yes- I'd been seeing an ent for over a year when he ran out of tests to do and sent me to a neuro. I go back tomorrow for a follow up from spine/brain mris- only had a brain mri in sept which showed the brainstem lesion. A month or so later I developed pain and weakness in my left hand which lasted for several weeks and prompted him to do another mri as well as the spinal. I also had an lp 2 weeks ago that did not show any o bands.
lamom
Getting to Know You...

Return to General Discussion