Does anyone experience dizziness?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
LindaR
Family Member

Does anyone experience dizziness?

Post by LindaR »

I was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago. I am currently on Avonex and take Low Dose Naltrexone. My biggest sympton of my MS is a feeling of dizziness. Does anyone else experience dizziness and what treatments do you use to help combat that?
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Definitely have it and it is a relatively new symptom for me.
Also one of the most annoying. The only thing I have found that has helped me is glucose tablets. It may have something to do with low blood sugar. Nothing else has worked (Dramamine and prescription). If you find anything else that works please let me know.!
Lori
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

I know that Xanax does help me when I experience the dizziness. Right now I take one .25 mg. in the morning and then by the afternoon I usually end up taking a half of a .25 mg. My neuro said that helps because it tends to "relax" the nerves.
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

Lori tell me more about the glucose tabs you are taking. How much, etc.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

I only take one when I feel the dizzyness is strong enough to do something. I just picked mine up at the grocery story in the diabetes section. There isn't a set amount to take, as far as I know. I just did trial and error. I have always had trouble with low blood sugar so I have found this to be helpful. You can just pick up some and give it a try (unless you are diabetic, then you will need to do what the doctor tells you).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

could be related to magnesium/b12 among other things...

haven't gone over these with a fine toothed comb BUT:

<shortened url>
Magnesium: nutrition and metabolism
Jürgen Vormann 2002
The symptoms of magnesium deficiency are variable and associated with non-specific clinical signs. Very often neuromuscular hyperexcitability, cardiac arrhythmias, increased muscle tension, muscle cramps, increased stress susceptibility, and headaches are observed but also paresthesias, irritability, decreased attention span, mental confusion and dizziness might occur (Iannello and Belfiore, 2001).
no abstract unfortunately. but i can get full text possibly, if anyone wants it sent by email.
<shortened url>
Geriatrics. 1999 Mar;54(3):67-8, 73.Links
Magnesium deficiency and dizziness: a case of electrolyte imbalance.Santinelli V, Ferraiuolo M, Modano P, Oppo I, Chiariello M, Fornaro P.
and recalling the earlier magnesium/fibromyalgia compilation post:
Also note that B vitamins are necessary for proper utilization of magnesium. Some people with fibromyalgia might have B vitamin deficiencies, especially B12. One study, has shown that homocysteine levels are high in the cerebrospinal fluid, and this indicates low levels of B12 in the brain. Additionally, homocysteine causes a depletion of intracellular free magnesium:, and according to the following study, only a combination of B6, B12, and folate acid can stop this depletion of magnesium. Thus, some people with fibromyalgia might benefit from B vitamin supplementation. (However, certain B12 deficiencies require B12 shots, as some people are unable to orally absorb enough B12.)
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

Everyone, thank you for your input. I will certainly investigate these.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi Linda

dizziness is a recurring and significant relapse symptom for me - although in my case it's not relieved by uping blood sugar - it's to do with the location of lesions that effect the balance centres - and I have tinnitus and some deafness too so my ears are affected by MS. It depends what is causing your dizziness.

I found that "retraining" my brain helped to a great degree - I did very gentle exercises that promoted balance. At first I had to put cushions all around me, because I kept toppling over, but over time my balance came back. If you are able for it, I also found exercise like Tai Chi and Pilates great for overcoming dizziness, and aqua aerobics good too - sometimes I could only do an exercise by hanging on to something but I really noticed improvements over time.

Return to “General Discussion”