Up all night

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 12, 2008 4:52 pm

plus i hope you keep gettin better all the time!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby Artifishual » Tue May 13, 2008 6:21 am

Thanks Homeskillet
Seems to be a continued sleep pattern as last night I again slept all night long and hard. HEHE
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue May 13, 2008 6:27 am

lolol that's great arti
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Terry » Thu May 22, 2008 3:39 am

I had never had this issue before a couple weeks ago. Oddly enough, I just added nightly magnesium and zinc to my supplements. I kept thinking, why would this have the opposite effect on me than others? This morning, awake while the world slept, (at least on my side of the world) I realized that I also added B12 to my morning ritual. I'm wondering if B12 is responsible for my inabiity to sleep the night through.
Terry
Terry
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Thu May 22, 2008 4:40 am

Terry , I also am taking the b-12 and the last few nights I haven't had but about 3 hrs each night worth of rest. I have had to take provigil lately just to keep my eyes open. What up homeskillet?
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby Nenu » Thu May 22, 2008 4:55 am

On the sleep topic, I always have my radio on low. If I'm feeling extra crappy, I keep a soft lamp on. It's a comforting thing for me :)
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
Nenu
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu May 22, 2008 7:52 am

hi folks, okay arti did you start your b-12 after the mag-zinc routine? how many days have you been on b-12 before noticing disturbed sleep again the past couple nights?

terry, did you add b12, and the mag-zinc at bedtime, at the same time? have you had trouble sleeping for the entire two week period since? have you been eating something with tryptophan at bedtime? have you tried switching the b12 to the bedtime ritual?

without knowing exactly what you both are doing i can only hypothesize that you might need to change up your timing or combinations. could try b-complex rather than b12 alone. i mean by all means do take whichever sublingual b-12 you have but maybe consider putting it in at the same time with a b-complex?

i have taken a boatload of b-100 complex along with my magnesium and zinc this week, say 4 of them per day, with the only other thing i'm on right now being E. i'm sleeping like 10 babies.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Terry » Thu May 22, 2008 10:35 am

Hey JL,

So, I've been taking the B12 for a couple weeks, and increasingly, I am waking during the night and getting up earlier.
I am not taking a B complex, only B12.
In the a.m., I take probiotic, fish oil, multi, B12, and 2X a week, D.
At night I take the mag and zinc.
I've been taking the probiotic, fish oil, D, and multi for quite some time, although my multi is a new brand.
I didn't take anything today. If you have suggestions for me, I'll try that. If not, I'll remove the B for a while and see what happens.

Thanks JL.
We should send you gifts!
Terry
Terry
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu May 22, 2008 11:27 am

okay interesting. can you tell me your bedtime dosage of mag and zinc? i'm guessing your am b12 is 1000mcg is that correct? what amounts of b-complex vitamins are in your morning multi?

i think the first thing you could try at bedtime is adding some tryptophan, if you don't already. such as a glass of warm milk, or someone has suggested a banana. banana milkshake maybe ;) (ewwww i can't stand bananas!!!!)

lol gifts! please, just write my academic papers, this stuff is waaay more interesting :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Terry » Fri May 23, 2008 2:33 pm

JL,
I had to have the multi bottle AND my reading glasses at the same time to get you the info you asked for, and for some reason that was hard for me to accomplish. I've now done it, and here is what I'm taking.

B12 is 2,000 MCG in the morning
Mag is 400 mg at night
Zinc is 75 mg at night

The multi B's are B1 15 mg; B2 17 mg; Niacin 20mg; B6 17 mg; folic acid
400 mcg; B12 50 mcg.

I had a hard time reading that even with glasses on, but I think I have it right.

I didn't take any supplements yesterday or today. I slept fine last night.

Whatcha think?

Terry
Terry
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri May 23, 2008 3:28 pm

terry possibly you're getting too much b12 relative to your multi, taking it at the wrong time of day, or both.
b12 affects the pineal gland, melatonin release and circadian rhythm. such a large a.m. dosage could be setting you up to be asleep by day and awake by night.
you could consider one or all of the following: take at bedtime, half the dosage, combine with a b-50 or b-100 complex to adjust the balance somewhat.
thanks for the heads up on this issue!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat May 24, 2008 1:22 pm

hey there terry, any progress?
what about you arti, what's happening with your sleep?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Artifishual » Sat May 24, 2008 2:26 pm

sleep, whats that?
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sat May 24, 2008 4:54 pm

so what time of day are you taking your b12? did you get a complex yet or are you still taking plain b12?
and from before...
did you start your b-12 after the mag-zinc routine?
how many days have you been on b-12 before noticing disturbed sleep again the past couple nights?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Terry » Sun May 25, 2008 8:09 am

Hey JL,
I only took my multi yesterday. I think I'll cut the B12 in half, and see how that goes. I am thinking you said the mag and zinc should be taken apart from the other supps, so I'm not sure how to time it all. I didn't sleep well the night before last, but I was awy from home. Much better last night.
So, how are you, JL? Am I correct that you take no meds?
Terry
Terry
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion