Impending dx

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Hi Mrs.G

I am really sorry that (probably) your worst fear is about to be confirmed - but Bob is right, I think (though it pains me to admit it!) - when you know that you are sick, it is better to finally have a label so that you can make informed decisions regarding your care and have access to any treatments available. It will take a bit of time for you to get your head around this, and you have some time before you see your Neuro, so you won't have to spend the whole of that first valuable visit in a numb haze of disbelief and shock - you can go there fully informed and ask whatever needs to be asked (Dom is also right, and again it pains me to admit it!).
Best Advice:
I think that you are blessed to have a great GP who is prepared to tell you what the Neuro letters say (most would avoid that unpleasant task)- maybe a meeting with him/her is called for and he/she can help you come up with the questions you need to ask.

I know how you feel - I (and my Neuro, funnily enough) clung to the possibility of ADEM as a diagnosis for me following my first definite clinical event and MRI. Then my LP results came back and I had another relapse, then another, and we had to accept that it was ms. Strangely though, at that time my symptoms gradually cleared up and my ms was so mild for the first 6 or so years, that I didn't need to consider the CRAB or any other drug or treatment options. Then things went downhill in a big way and didn't get much better (for me anyway), so I went on Avonex - I have had some progression (possibly elements of SPMS?), but apart from some concern of a relapse at the moment, I have again been pretty stable. I say this to establish that things don't always immediately get worse after diagnosis...

I would want to know the details of my scans and test results - what type of ms they think it is, what the available treatment options are for that condition, what to do in an 'emergency' i.e. if/when you have another relapse (if you have RRMS) - do you just go to the casualty department, or call the neuro, or call your GP for the IV steroids? Can they make a stab at your prognosis (based on stats)...Also, what can they prescribe for any other symptoms you have - such as pain, muscle spasms, vertigo etc - who does your scripts, how often, when do you see the neuro again...so many questions :lol: whew :!:
Shit - go back to my 'Best Advice' above - much more sensible and coherent!
All the best and if you need to chat some more, we are here for you.
Al
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

… And don't forget rule 24, paragraph 9, clause (i): " … The phrase, 'Bob is right', is hereby banned as being offensive to all right minded, upstanding and virtuous citizens of planet earth ".
Dom
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Hi Bob & Domenico!

Hey guys - good to see that you are both still awake and reading the posts :P

Thank you so much for directing me to the rules of the Board - I seem to remember having a similar conversation with Bob before (he is SO sensitive!), he is such a stickler for rules! Dom, however, seems to be much less rigid....
My British breeding is very much of the stiff upper lip variety and it prevents me from responding as I would like, however, I very much believe in fighting the system from within and therefore must now lobby to get the rules changed! All those who wish for the abolition of the "rule" about being unable to pick on Bob - please sign the petition... :lol:

And Dom - you will see that I qualified that statement regarding the correctness of Bob with a comment - to which Bob objected, but I bow to your superior wisdom in regard to Bob :wink:

Mrs.G - sorry for the off topic whining from Bob and Dom - I had to deal with it and I do apologise for hi-jacking your thread. In spite of the bitching from the two stooges, I stand by what I said in my earlier post and admit that a) Bob WAS right - sorry Dom; b) I had to qualify that compliment with a comment because I did not want him to get carried away with emotion; c) Dom was right - sorry Bob. What can I say? I have to be honest no matter how controversial. Bob & Dom - nice to chat to you both again and get caught in the middle of your verbal sparring - it is such fun and I must say I have missed it (sick, hey?)!

Mrs.G I really hope that things go well - take care & I hope you enjoyed the bit of fun these two old timers seem to have at my expense - at least it demonstrates that they still think they have a sense of humour...
Al
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Mmmm - it seems, based purely on available data, that Dom joined the site before you, Bob, which may be the basis for this totally irrational war, though way two such good looking and (apparently) intelligent men should spend so much time on this is beyond me, a mere woman! And why I have such fun pursueing this is also beyond me, except to say that a little light humour is an occasional relief when dealing with such a serious condition and I hope that the other members don't mind us indulging ourselves now and then - you know me, I am always apologising for something (other than to Bob and Dom, who shamelessly encourage me).
I suspect that Bob and Dom are really the same person (maybe multiple personality disorder?), and go to such elaborate lengths to throw the rest of us off the scent :roll: We never have seen a real picture of Bob....Dom is probably the 'real' person - Dr. Jeckyl - and Bob is his alter-ego, Mr. Hyde....This is why there is such a love/hate relationship going there!
Maybe I should get a poll going on this?
Al
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

rofl

Maybe Dom and Bob are long lost twins :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”