The Fight Against MS- Friday, April 11 on Montel

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
cheerleader
Family Elder

The Fight Against MS- Friday, April 11 on Montel

Post by cheerleader »

FYI- For those of us in the states-
Montel William's program for Friday, April 11
Featuring Clay Walker, recording artist and Ann Boroch, naturopath and author of Healing Multiple Sclerosis
From his website
http://www.montelshow.com/show/today/friday/

The guests on today's show say have multiple sclerosis but multiple sclerosis doesn't have them. We'll talk with Clay Walker, a multiplatinum recording artist about his career, his struggle with MS and with the charity work he does to fight against the disease. Ann Boroch was diagnosed with MS and told she'd be confined to a wheel chair. She was determined not to let the diagnosis keep her down. She's now a natural health and wellness expert who, through diet and exercise, has kept her symptoms at bay. Kelly's father was diagnosed with MS in 2006 and she immediately began to raise money and awareness for the disease, even swimming 3 miles in the Hudson River to fundraise. Montel’s MS Foundation has been working hard to find a cure. Redirecting 100% of all money raised from individuals toward MS research, Montel has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars through events such as the annual bike-a-thon and most recently, the inaugural MS Gala.
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

This might be interesting. I will try to watch it. It will be interesting what Ann B. has to say.
Longing4Cheese
Family Member

Montel's show in reruns - ?

Post by Longing4Cheese »

I just went to set the TiVO to record tomorrow's Montel show, and it says it's an episode in which guests discuss their views on the presidential candidates -- dated 2007.

I remember a story about Montel leaving the airwaves supposedly because of his MS, but (off the record) likely because of his "uppity" statements about the lack of coverage of the deaths of Americans in Iraq.

Clicking to yesterday, the day before, and next week's episodes, it appears that most are dated 2007, and nothing related to MS.

I'll be interested to hear if there's an alternate Montel show universe where this show is going on. TV programming can be weird.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hey L4C-
Just checked my tivo....full of John Adams episodes on HBO, so no room for Montel. oops. Man, that Adams series is l-o-n-g!

Here's the link...it talks about the show, so I guess maybe someone, somewhere, somehow caught it. My girlfriend is a client of Ann Boroch, so I'll ask her if she made a recording.

http://www.montelshow.com/show/today/friday/

Not sure about the Montel story. He's a cool guy in my book....but I'd hate to think his leaving the airwaves was about censorship. First, my Randi Rhodes, and now Montel!!!

later,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
Longing4Cheese
Family Member

Montel on telly

Post by Longing4Cheese »

Cheerleader,
I see it on the Web, but not on the schedule on the TV.

Could the TiVO schedule be wrong? But...but I pay lots of money per month for my DirecTV, so it CAN'T be wrong.

You wrote:

Here's the link...it talks about the show, so I guess maybe someone, somewhere, somehow caught it. My girlfriend is a client of Ann Boroch, so I'll ask her if she made a recording.

We ARE talking about TOMORROW, right? Unless the MS episode is a re-run, how could someone have caught it? (I mean, unless they work for the show and smuggled out a copy before it aired...the shows are taped, not live, I assume.) :?: :?:
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

DOH!
no wonder it wasn't on the tivo yet, today is Thursday!
It's been a long week, L4C
Guess I was hoping it was FRIDAY already :)
We'll see what shows up tomorrow....and how accurate that very expensive direcTV is!

AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
missvicki
Family Member

Post by missvicki »

Thanks so much for the heads up! I have my dvr set to record!
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

One hour of prime time and this is what I got from it.

-Clay Walker is a country music singer
-he was poor as a kid
-has had ms for 12 years an been in remission for 10
-mentioned taking a needle every day

Montel says he has ms but ms doesn’t have him
- he also said that some with this disease just sit back and let it ravage their bodies and just give in. This really pissed me off!
- had a fundraiser poker tournament with good food and dancing
- gave everyone in the audience a waist purse

Anne Boroko says she cured her ms mostly by removing toxins in her body
-had bad attack every day for a year
-previously had epstein barr
-was bedridden at 24 years of age
-says she had a near death experience
-says chemo and steroids actually cause an imbalance in the body and therefore cause you ms symptoms, Chris won’t like this one
-oh ya and most important she’s selling her book

Kelly who’s dad is a mess with ms
-says fundraising is fun (swim,walk)
-got a new golf bag and putter +$100 from Montel
-people have given Montel’s foundation 1.3 million for ms research

New scanner(OCT)at JH is able to see disease activity better and a new device developed to measure muscle function better
-doctor says a cure is within reach
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

Oh Robbie, you make me LAUGH!
I blocked an hour from my schedule at work today and turned on the TV. I got from the show EXACTLY what you got. I said, "well, THAT was a waste of time".
Funny!

Terry
rainer
Family Elder

Post by rainer »

guess there's no such thing as bad publicity :roll:
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

I have yet to watch the tivo, and although I'm sure Robbie's take on the show is pretty close to the truth, I want to be clear...

I'm not advertising anything. I'm merely the wife of a terrific guy who has MS. I'm also a very positive person (but as my teenage son has repeatedly told me, it's only the "emo" kids that are cool. http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Emo) So, without any shred of coolness- no acerbic wit, blithely biting humor, or darkness- I post on these boards. I'm not being ironic....I really do cheerlead.

Hoping maybe to inspire or help someone else. Montel has done alot for the MS community, by giving MS a face and voice. Whether or not we agree with his approach, he has inspired alot of people to change their diets, look into treatments, and be proactive with their docs. He's raised a boatload of money for MS research, which is more than I've done. It appears this is all working for him, and I refuse to fault him for his attitude.

So if anyone found inspiration in this program, take heart. Hope it helped you. And if you didn't- it's super easy to erase the tivo, and you can have that hour back on your dvr- if not in your life :)

the incredibly dorky AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

hi Cheerleader i know he is for the legalization of marijuana :D
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

Cheer,
I have his books which are full of substance, which is why I was so surprised that the show didn't have much. I turned the TV off and got back to work. I didn't think much more about it, came home and pulled up THISISMS. Robbie's post made me laugh! I read the other day someone's post about the folks' humor here making her (him) spit coffee at the computer. If I'd had coffee in my mouth I'd still be cleaning!
I love Montel. I have MUCH respect for him. I didn't care for the show today.
I appreciate your cheerleader attitude, Cheer. I am a single mom of 4. Raised them myself from the time my youngest was 2. She is almost 22.
I have 3 grandkids with 2 more in the "oven".
I am and have always been, their best cheerleader, helper, always steady, never waivering.
I just didn't like the show.
Terry
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I had much the same reaction to the show and, as always, appreciate Robbie's candor. I just want Montel to have a bunch of real MS'ers on his show. You know, those of us who are fighting like hell, eating right, exercising, taking our meds and keeping the "I have it but it doesn't have me attitude", but still dealing with progression. There are plenty of people with MS who get paraded in front of us who seem to have CIS. Those are the people who fall short, but almost come out and say that they're cured. I felt like that for five years, but I know the variablility in this disease and I'll be damned if/when I have remission that I would go about espousing anything I was doing that was responsible for making it "go away".

Some people do everything right and it still knocks their dick in the dirt. Others do the same and it seems to leave them alone. It just gets frustrating when you hear someone talk about almost exactly what you've been doing and it works for them, but it hasn't done s&%# for you. I know I'm being a real sourpuss about that show, but I felt like I was watching one of those Rebif ads with the person on the mountain bike just kicking life in the ass; and then you read the fine print (has been dealing with MS since '05). Hell, after only a few years with MS, the photographer wouldn't have been able to slow me down enough to get my damn picture for an ad. We just don't, and never will at least for now, understand why it hits some of us hard and some of us not. Look at Chris from the Revimmune thread. He's only had it since '03 or '04 and look at how far he had progressed.

Just once, they should have a show about someone like Chris. I think it would be safe to say that he is not taking his MS lying down. Put some "real folk" on there and then Montel will get my attention. Putting a bunch of best case scenarios on and almost saying "you can be like this too if you do this or that" just leaves me nonplussed.

I'm sorry I'm being so negative about this. And AC, don't take any of this personally since you started this thread, you are one of the best posters on here; the way you think things out and keep track of things deserves high praise. I love your posts, I just had a shite day yesterday and watching that made me feel like John Stossel on 20/20; I just wanted to say "give me a break". It's not that I doubt they have MS or anything like that. It's just that I know that there is no right answer. Everyone's is different and I applaud these people for finding what works for them, I just know there are many of us where that "right thing" seems to just be out of reach. Mine may be Tovaxin, someone else's might be Copaxone, but I think that shows like that can leave the uneducated thinking MS is really not all that bad. There are plenty of people out there who try and do EVERYTHING right that would beg to differ.

Once again, sorry for the negativity.

Lew

Return to “General Discussion”