Insulin Resistance and MS ??

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
harry1
Family Member

Insulin Resistance and MS ??

Post by harry1 »

I'm curious if others here with MS also have Insulin Resistance. I have it really bad and whenever i eat junk food/ fast food or high carbs my MS really flares up worse. When i tell my neuro this he says that diet has nothing to do with my MS but i'm wondering.

Thanks....
harry...
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Hey Harry, I suggest checking out this thread as a starting point:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-1878.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

omg!!!! diet has so much to do with "MS"
for your situation, search for pretty much any post by lyndacarol
harry1
Family Member

Post by harry1 »

Thanks Dignan and Jimmylegs as i really appreciate your answers and i'll do more research on this. I wonder since i was tall and skinny all my life i ate tons and tons of fast food and junk food as i never got fat and thought i was lucky but that my diet got me sick in both diseases. I believe it was on Science Daily yesterday that i read about a study showing skinny people with Insulin Resistance are more likely to die sooner than Obese people as Obese people can store the excess energy as fat and yet us skinny ones don't store it so it then wrecks havok on our cells and our bodies etc...

Anyway thanks again as i'm really enjoying all the postings on here by everyone as i'm learning alot.
harry.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i just found a very interesting read by someone who from first impression at least, is pretty close to being my brain twin (except for the gluten thing. i had to avoid wheat for a while but i think it was because i was low in a couple of other things that you need for it to go down all right - i don't have trouble with it now).

anyway, a nice little overview of some of the nutrition links to ms:
http://www.nhfw.info/multiple-sclerosis.html
http://www.nhfw.info/magnesium.html

there are other diet and ms things which i imagine you've been reading about like the swank diet, the best bet diet, the klenner supplement protocol, etc, which are far more complicated but those links above are kind of a good intro, i think.

AND i learned for the first time about the links between low magnesium and more severe insulin resistance. fascinating.
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Hi guys

I have insulin resistance and am considered 'pre-diabetic'.
My doc got me on a chromium and cinnimon combi-pill, plus magnesium and also the omegas - obviously some dietary changes too - low GI carbs (and limited at that), and a hugely increased fibre intake - it seems to be helping stabilize my blood sugar, and it seems likely I will avoid becomming type II diabetic, provided I persevere of course!

Hope this helps.
Al
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Wife's father died from type II diabetes and she has MS.
I believe both illnesses have common base and although my wife hasn't elevated blood sugar I give her every day 300mg chromium and add cinammon to her eveyday herbals, it helps also in candida and gastrointestinal problems and is immunomodulatory.
Sugar in every form plays a huge role in MS im my humble opinion as leptin (hormone secreted for fat absorption) does.
That's why a diet low in fats and sugars helps a lot.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

this is interesting i had never looked up chromium with respect to ms before. i don't even know anything about chromium at all (YET).
even on this ms encyclopedia site it talks more specifically about chromium and diabetes than chromium and ms...
http://www2.healthtalk.com/go/multiple- ... 002418.htm
however, an interesting case study... link to neuropathy at least...
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/4/531
"Chromium deficiency, glucose intolerance and neuropathy reversed by chromium supplementation in a patient receiving long-term parenteral nutrition,"
this info is piquing my interest in chromium for sure. there's no diabetes in my family but looking at the food sources, most of which i avoided between 1991 and 2006, it is probably time to investigate.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

If you read Dr Bob Lawrence fact sheets you'll see he suggests as last but not least important supplement the chromium in doses much higher than what I give to my wife!
Insulin (actually sugar) is inflammatory and if you can control it at least you have better health and probably less MS symptoms.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i will check it out. just got back from a hike and stopped in for groceries on the way home, picked up some chromium, just took one. i will read the fact sheets you mention and see how often they need to go in :) good to know.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i guess i'm not finding the right info re: fact sheets, but i did find a pdf by another fellow selling an ms blend of goodies, containing 400 mcg chromium. so that's no biggie, mine are 200 mcg per.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Jimmy 400mg is the optimal dose if I remember right, check www.ldnresearchtrust.org about this.
harry1
Family Member

Post by harry1 »

I noticed that is not an ''Exercise Forum'' on here but i wonder how exercise affects MS good or bad? Sometime i'll do a Google search on MS and Exercise success stories and read about some people with MS who took up Bodybuilding and diet change and are doing much better. I know Montel swears that exercise is a big helper in his fight.

Anythoughts and thanks again !!
harry...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

thanks dim, sounds like a plan, 400 it is. i checked my multivitamin/mineral product, which gives 200 chromium per day (if you take all three per day) so i'll take those this week plus an additional 200 chromium.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

harry, in my limited experience exercise can have both positive and negative effects.

i definitely feel that i've benefited from diet change, but the exercise can still really take it out of me.

in the heat i go from jimmy to gumbylegs. i went on some bike rides in the heat last summer and that was tough, my legs would not cooperate once i got heated up with exertion. same thing happened on a 2hr hike last summer. i'm used to being the fastest hiker but i was with athletes that time and i was the slowest. i was really messed up by the time we got to the caves and i had to send them ahead for the return trip.

swimming is good because even though i can feel my hands deaden when i exert myself, and even though i might stagger when i get out of the buoyancy, at least it's keeping me cooler than other options.

that said, i'm quite positive it's better for those who are able to do as much as they can, for as long as they can.