First injection of Copaxone

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Nenu
Family Elder

First injection of Copaxone

Post by Nenu »

Completed! Didn't use the autoinjector... just did the needle with the nurse here, all by myself! :) Didn't hurt at all (tummy injection). After, the medicine burned a little, but overall it wasn't bad. I didn't even ice/heat before or after, and if the injections are like this each time, I don't think I'd need to bother with that.

:D What can I say? I'm proud! :) I've had a long standing fear of piercing my own skin, but that was nothing!
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

good for u nenu!!
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Thanks ;)

I'm empowered now, cackle. Watch out! :twisted:
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
GeoGuy
Family Elder

Post by GeoGuy »

Nenu,

Glad to hear you are on one of the CRABs. I take Rebif myself. You are braver than I lass, it took me almost a year to switch from the auto injector to just the syringe. Definately easier that way. Hope everything stays copacetic with your shots.

How did the move work out for you?

Jack
RRMS since 01/07.
Punchy
Family Elder

Post by Punchy »

Yay Nenu! I never learned to self-inject, I always used the auto-injector for my Rebif.

I will warn you though, the tummy is usually the least painful spot, so when you get to doing your thighs you may want to try the Advil ahead of time.
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Thanks for the head's up. I'm going to try each one free of cold/heat/pills first week and see how each site reacts without outside interference. ;) From what the nurse told me, the autoinjector is more painful than only the syringe. So that's a plus! Besides, if I learn early not to rely on the autoinjector, it makes things easier if I plan to travel or be anywhere where I need to take my meds... because I can just leave the a.j. at home.
Jack, no move... long story, basically the people who put in the offer could not get a mortgage, their bank messed up and told them they were preapproved, and then came back and said oopsie, actually you aren't, wewps! :oops: So yeah. I had to cancel my apt. I had gone to see and was accepted for, basically start back at square one, and that threw me into a bout of complete stress (plus my nana's funeral this mo. and having to face my shots today), and I basically went into relapse with symptoms. NOT FUN!

But I'm doing a lot better these last couple of days. Still symptoms, but they seem to be clearing up some :)

Edit to include Jack's name, which admittedly I'll probably forget because my mind's horrible like that! :p ~ Laura ~
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: First injection of Copaxone

Post by HarryZ »

Nenu,

Just checking to see if your doc advised you about keeping an eye out for possible lipoatrophy when using Copaxone. If not, then definitely ask.

Harry
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Yes, I discussed that with my nurse today... definitely am keeping an eye out for it, but it was explained that choosing different injection sites is the key to helping prevent it.

While that would suck, living with the symptoms and thought of disease progression sucks more :)
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
RedSonja
Family Elder

Post by RedSonja »

The great thing about the auto-injector is you can jab one-handed in many more places than two-handed. So when your stomach is full of bumps, you can start on hips and thighs. Just a thought for the future.
Bibo ergo sum
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Congrats on your first injection Nenu.

Can you believe I've been injecting either Rebif or Copaxone now for 9 years and I STILL can't manage a manual injection, so hats off to you :lol:

Just a word of warning, all the Copaxone nurses say that blurb about lipoatrophy being to do with rotating sites but I am sceptical. I have very extensive lipo on legs/hips but I was absolutely disciplined about rotating. I drew up a chart with over 50 sites on it and I always stuck (sorry for the pun!) to those sites in sequence, yet I still ended up lipoatrophied.

It didn't really start until I was on Copaxone for more than 2 years.

I just keep remembering how ill I was off Copaxone, and how my legs were not working properly. Now my legs won't win any beauty competitions but they work. That wins hands down for me.
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Surprisingly I haven't been ill on Copaxone. Thankfully. I am really hoping this drug works for me. It seems to be the easiest of the bunch to manage the side effects of.
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

Nenu, Congrats on getting #1 out of the way!!

I starrted with Avonex, that's a scary needle to jab yourself with, but at least it was just 1 x per week.

I switched to Betaseron last year for 6 months and was sick the whole time.

I've been on Copax for 6 weeks now, I've really no side effects to speak of.

Do want to warn you about the thighs though. I bruise and redden there.

I'm going to experiment with technique, AI vs manual etc.

Also, as an aside, the nurse who trained me to inject works for my neuro, does all of his injection training. Most of what she told me I heard or read before except that she advises rubbing the injection site vigorously with the alcohol wipe for a full minute before the shot.

The purpose is to bring additional blood flow to the area to help disperse the drug more quickly, so it doesn't hang around the site long enough to cause severe reactions.

Please post with re to further areas...
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Sorry this thread was 'bumped' so to speak, and I'm actually on injection number 16 or so now.

As far as the injections go... tummy is painful (site reaction), arms are EASY, thighs are odd... right thigh seems to consistently have a lump after injection for up to 24 hours after, left thigh has no issues, hip/bum area is TOUGH to reach (I have to turn myself into a human pretzel to reach it) but really no discomfort there compared to the stomach.

The stomach seems to be the most pain from the medicine after injection of all the sites. I do that injection site on Saturday, so when I return to work, hopefully I won't be working Saturdays, because I'd like it if this site were on a day I didn't have to work :)
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
Kerplunk20

Good job!

Post by Kerplunk20 »

Good job Nenu!

I have been on Copaxone for 8 years and it is a good drug.

Some helpful tidbits - be careful about using the back of your arms - lipo seems to occur here more than anyone else.

Try very hard not to directly hit a vein. You will know when you have - you will flush head to toe and feel warm and short of breath. Don't worry it only lasts 15 minutes or so. Just lie down and let it run its course.
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Oh yeah, I am very careful about avoiding the veins, which I can see quite well on my legs at least. Fact my right leg has a ton of them that I can see.

Makes picking a spot rather tricky.
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.