Nerve fibre protection

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Nerve fibre protection

Post by bromley »

Dear all (couldn't keep away as I'd hoped),

Article from the UK MS Society's website. Key point is that the article claims that the research team have identified an effective therapy to protect nerve fibres. It says that the therapy appears to work well, and it should be safe and inexpensive. Annoyingly they are seeking funding to conduct a full clinical trial in MS patients (why can't they ever fast track the stuff - I'd be happy to sign a form and take the risk if it would potentially protect my nerve fibres from getting damaged). Anyone have any ideas what they might be considering? Looks like it is an existing drug. I'm sure that I've also seen that one of the major drugs companies is investing in neuro-protective drugs.

I assume the current thinking is to reduce attacks (which hopefully Antegren will do), help protect the nerve fibres that are attacked - by a neuro protector and, eventually, re-myelinate. Seems sensible to me (a layman) but I'm sure one of you (probably OddDuck) will come up with a very bright reason why this won't work.

OddDuck - what's your view on neuro protection?

Also, are there any plans to use stem cells to repair / replace damaged nerve fibres or will they only be used for creating myelin?

Bromley

Professor Kenneth Smith is Professor of Neurophysiology at Department of Neuroimmunology, King’s College, London.

Achievements in research:
I think it is best if other people describe this subject, as they have better perspective. However, in general I have tried to find out how demyelination changes the properties of nerve fibres, causing them to generate the symptoms of MS. Research from several laboratories has revealed that demyelination initially blocks conduction, causing symptoms such as visual problems, weakness and numbness, depending on which groups of nerve fibres are affected. However, nerve fibres can adapt to the demyelination and then conduction can be restored, leading to recovery from the symptoms.

Recovery does not always occur sufficiently, and then some residual symptoms can persist. Sometimes demyelinated nerve fibres can become hyperexcitable, and then they can generate tingling sensations, which are sometimes initiated by body movements. The demyelinated nerve fibres are sometimes repaired by remyelination, and when this happens normal function can be restored.

Together with my colleagues in the research community, I have tried to uncover why and how these changes in function occur. Most recently we have tried to understand why nerve fibres degenerate in MS. Once degeneration has occurred, function is likely to be permanently damaged because nerve fibres do not regrow in the brain and spinal cord. It is therefore very important to try to find ways to protect the nerve fibres from degeneration. We have found a potential reason why degeneration occurs, and we have identified an effective therapy to protect the nerve fibres. The therapy appears to work well, and it should be safe and inexpensive, and we are seeking funding to conduct a full clinical trial in MS patients.
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Hi, Bromley! Glad to see you back!!

Actually, I'm totally supportive of neuroprotection. As a matter of fact, that's part of my overall "broad spectrum" theories in helping MS.

Raising BDNF is only one of many ways to help provide neuroprotection. Maintaining neuronal (via ion channels) sodium density is also a form of neuroprotection. (Keppra - i.e. levetiracetam - helps to provide neuroprotection, also.) Most of the AEDs have neuroprotection mechanisms of action. There are several neurotrophins that will help provide neuroprotection.

And can/should it be inexpensive? Absolutely! It's fairly easy to find substances/drugs that will assist with neuroprotection.

Neuroprotection is a major part of helping MS.

Deb

EDIT: Oh, and Bromley. I get the feeling you haven't read many of my past posts over the last few months regarding my research (?) My whole focus is not "debunking" EVERYTHING. My focus has been strictly on showing what things HELP MS. This week, though, my research may appear to be "debunking", but that is strictly focused on doubts (verified and substantiated by what I have posted) about Antegren.

SECOND EDIT: "Neuroprotection" in MS is nothing new.
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

(Follow-up, as always)

Also, there are several dietary, antioxidants (i.e. vitamins, etc.), and even exercise regimens that help increase various neurotrophins, which help provide neuroprotection in MS.

Deb
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Oh......I forgot to give you my thoughts on the stem cell research.

Well, it's a little early to tell regarding stem cells. I think, though, that you can think of the stem cell research more in the lines of "regeneration" and/or even "prevention" perhaps. Once they refine things and find out more, and IF the various governments will allow stem cell research (the U.S. only allows limited stem cell research), I think we'll find some wonderful beneficial discoveries.

(And stem cell research is a highly controversial subject, by the way. :wink: Especially politically.)

Deb
adjanimals
Family Member

Post by adjanimals »

I know this won't be taken good. I just had to say it.

Stem Cell use in the US. Don't hold your breath
with BS-Bush in office.
At least Arnold is for it in California.
Strange, he's a republican.

Good info from both of you.

Did either of you sign the Aimspro Lobby petition?
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Yea, I hear ya, adjanimals. Like I said..........stem cell research is a "hot" political topic! :?

I'm sorry, I have to admit I have not signed any petitions. I try to stay away from aligning my support TOO heavily behind something (especially drugs - even for the drug I suggest be put into clinical trials), because most times I just don't find enough "facts" or substantive clinical evidence that makes me feel comfortable enough. That doesn't mean I do NOT support people having as many medical options as possible, I totally do; but I suppose I have to admit that in most cases, I'm a fence-sitter, with a wait-and-see cautious attitude until enough evidence comes in to make me feel comfortable.

But once I do.....you can bet I can become passionate and active! HAH!

Thanks for your gracious comments, by the way, on our discussions!!

Deb
wilson
Family Member

Post by wilson »

As a community board, I believe this site is the best site to read and gather important information that affects me and others with this horrible disease. I believe we all should be tolerant on thoughts and ideas that are different from our own regardless how much we disagree with those ideas. As for or myself, it annoys be subjugated to articles that have the internet parochial jargon as “lol” and “Hah”. However, (Aaron, please correct me if I am wrong) this is NOT a political site. I can safely say that many of us do not wish to hear a user’s political viewpoints, whether it be right or left side of the political spectrum.

Thank you
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Wilson,

A lot of times, since "tone" of voice is lost in writing - especially in online forums - the use of "emotional" acronyms and/or the emoticons helps the reader to put a "feel" to way the person speaks.

Otherwise, there is a HIGH risk of something being able to be taken several different ways, and not always the correct way.

As far as politics, etc. go? This is an unbiased site, right? Shoot, we talk about many things. We get into political discussions often! The only thing that is highly stressed is to try to refrain from personal "attacks" on others (which I COULD assume this was one toward me).

:wink: :? :roll: 8O :evil:

Deb