Weird visual symptom...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Weird visual symptom...

Post by Wonderfulworld »

8O
Had a really odd visual thing last night - went up to check on my son asleep and as I looked at his face in the near-darkness I could see his eyes, nose and mouth, but then all his features disappeared and I was looking at a blank face-shape. God MS is so horror-film-ish sometimes. Then as I kept looking his features reappeared, then disappeared etc.
I presume it's just my eyes playing up again, and not some weird ability of my son to morph into a blankness :lol:
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Post by Toyoterry »

Back in 2004 when I was first dx the same thing happened to me. Sometimes I would look at someone and half of their face would disappear. It seemed to happen only to faces and it seemed to past fairly quickly but it was very strange and thankfully it has not returned.
Terry
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

thanks terry, it does seem to have passed now. it gave me a real fright when it happened - very odd symptom!
Cyclops
Family Member

Post by Cyclops »

I have that all the time in one eye. I find it very difficult to recognise people in the street - its as though their faces are 2 dimensional.

I also means that when I look at girls they all seem to have a perfect complexion so its not all bad news ;)

Cyclops.
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

Your son may be an alien from another galaxy. I believe I recall seeing something like this on Star Trek once. If this is true, you should definitely try to make some money off of this!

Otherwise, there does not seem to be anything in your description to cause undue worry. If this occurs infrequently and lasts only moments I would tend to chalk it up to MS. Your optic nerve is likely having trouble, and in low light situations may give you weird symptoms like that.

As is my standard warning, I would get a full eye exam if the symptoms persist. Certain tests like visual fields can be helpful in making sure there are no other causes.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Thanks Cyclops and Eyedoc!

I am so well versed with all the symptoms of MS - but even after 10+ years with it, it can still take me by surprise sometimes, you know?

I just had an eye exam 2 weeks ago, so I think everything is in order as the optician I go to is very thorough. Will have to get the hubby to check if it is a quirk of my sons :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: then if it is the cash can start rolling in, hehe!

Return to “General Discussion”