Constipation as a Symptom of Multiple Sclerosis

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby Lyon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 am

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Lyon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:12 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Bob, you have such a way with words. I can read your posts and its like I am watching a movie, detail, detail, I love it! Here are a few FARTING smileys fer ya:

Question: When you were young, or even now, have you ever farted in the bathtub.... And bite the bubbles?

I have to tell you... You are like my Hero!
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:24 pm

What I am saying is, the detsil in your "Elevator" drve-by is so good, I can almost smell it!!!
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 am

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby Wendigo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 am

Lyon wrote:One of the guys I work with has never typed a word in his life, but he forwards every email joke known to man and I have the misfortune of being on his email list. This one seemed fitting though.....

I was in the pub yesterday when I suddenly realized I desperately needed to fart. The music was really, really loud, so I timed my farts with the beat.

After a couple of songs, I started to feel better. I finished my pint and noticed that everybody was staring at me.

Then I suddenly remembered that I was listening to my iPod.

Lyon, nobody could make that joke up - it had to have really happened to someone. I was laughing so hard I had to lay down on the floor and my kids, who are iPod addicts, got a kick out of it.

There's something to learn for everyone from a news story I heard this morning on the radio. A guy in the stall of a public restroom was taking too long, others were banging on the door with no response and decided to call 911 to summon the police. The police pepper sprayed and tazered the guy taking too long in the stall. Turned out the poor guy was deaf. What a lawsuit. Maybe he should have sang or hummed?

To Robbie, the original poster, my digestive system has slowed down but so far not too much trouble with constipation. I ate a half a peach yesterday and might as well have eaten a huge meal so my eating style has evolved into grazing. I can't stand feeling stuffed, it takes forever for that feeling to go away, like I can't breathe, gave up all soda which is like swallowing air, and lost 40 pounds over about a year. I'd rather be overweight and without MS. Constipation is a double whammy for me - the discomfort of being bound up plus aggravation of hemorrhoids from having borne six children. To avoid feeling full I don't drink enough water. At least I get a choice in which discomfort I prefer - drink water and feel stuffed but not constipated or discomfort of constipation and hemorrhoids but not "stuffed."
Wendigo
Family Elder

Postby peekaboo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:20 am

Bob -

i borrowed your pub/fart joke and sent to my friends...needless to say it was a big hit!

Holly
peekaboo
Family Elder

Postby robbie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:20 am

Once a week for me if I’m lucky I take codeine so that doesn’t help. Take lots of fiber to help. The less bathroom visits the better 1 or 2.
Had ms for over 19 years now.
robbie
Family Elder

Postby Loobie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:21 am

This has been one of my symptoms I've had from the get go. It sucks to also have bladder problems because you have to drink enough water also. My motility has slowed so much that things like a "fruit only" diet and taking psyllium, and even things like Colon Cleanse, don't even work. So I have just taked to the practice of always eating like a horse (grains, friuts, veg) and not a lot of 'binding" foods. It helps, but it still sounds like someone dumping rocks into the loo when I go. I use laxatives very sparingly, but those are the only times I can have a good one. A bowel routine I think is the best bet to hope to have a good dump. Eat breakfast about the same time every day and make sure you're on the pot a half hour later whether you feel the need to go or not. And include a gycerin supp. if needed, they're not habit forming. Isn't this one fun?
Loobie
Family Elder

Postby OhKay » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:06 pm

cheerleader wrote:Also, women's GI tracts are affected by hormones. Lots of us are constipated when progesterone is high mid-cycle and it causes a relaxation of the smooth muscles. Then progesterone drops with the onset of menses, and it's easier to go. You can bump up the mg dosage after the ovulation part of your cycle.

AC

Wow, thank you for explaining that! I often wondered why I was more regular when I was menstruating...

After a recent trip to the ER for constipation (no BM for 8 days couldn't even fart), my neurologist told me to stop taking my regular 200mg of colace and start a fiber supplement. So, I ended constipated (5 days) with pretty bad upper abdominal pain. My PCP prescribed benefiber, 200mg colace, and lactulose up to 3 times a day; I'm seeing some good results now.

-Kay
OhKay
Getting to Know You...

Postby OhKay » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Lyon wrote:Sure us guys ruin a lot of underwear, make a lot of noise and (if we're lucky) a little odor, but any guy knows his best efforts are going fall a distant second to the mythical female "silent but deadly". What I've never understood is how they can create a work of art like that and then deny to the death that it was they who dealt it. Me personally? I'd be bragging "hell yeah I crapped my drawers. pretty impressive isn't it?"

I remember shopping at the outlets with my mom several years ago...
We were going store to store, having a grand old time, when my mother turned to me and wispered, "Do you see that lady over there? She's been in every store with us and so has that AWFUL smell!" I had to admit to her that it was me, and I was forever banned from having french onion soup again.
OhKay
Getting to Know You...

Postby Lyon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Lyon
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Lyon wrote:Sure us guys ruin a lot of underwear

Thats not ruining the underwear. Around here, thats a badge of honor! He who dies with the most "Racin Stripes" Wins... 8O

Back to the constipation deal.... It's been three weeks for me on the colonix program. Finally Regular (every 2 days vs. 10 days) I have 1 more week to complete. I did buy another kit though. I think I am going to go right into it once I complete this kit. I cant tell you enough about the new found energy I have. The plus side of it is.....The Smell is horrible, I can clear out a mens restroom in 5 seconds flat! :lol:
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Lyon
Family Elder

Postby euphoniaa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Lyon wrote:
Bubba wrote:The plus side of it is.....The Smell is horrible, I can clear out a mens restroom in 5 seconds flat! :lol:
AWESOME!! That's when you know you're the big dog.....when the wimps start wipin', flushin' and leavin'

Thank the Lord for sauerkraut, picked eggs, mexican food and these newfangled dark colored underwear!

Ah...thought-provoking, scientific research by an "exceptional community" of scholars answers the "tough questions that others might shirk at." :D :D
(Just quoting the welcome from notasperfectasyou)

Signed,

BrainTalk Semi-Refugee (I come here sometimes anyway.)
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
euphoniaa
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion