How much are spending on supplements and medication a month?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Abe
Family Member

How much are spending on supplements and medication a month?

Post by Abe »

Hi,

I've just been going through my accounts and realised that I am spending considerably more than I thought on supplements. I'm starting to wonder if I've got a little carried away and spending unnecessarily...

How much do you guys spend on supplements and medication a month? And what do you take and buy.

Thanks, I'll give a breakdown of my spending when I have a little more time!

Best wishes, Abe
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hey Abe-
$240 month on co-pays for pharmas,
$200-250 month on supplements,
+ surplus on organic, whole food (extra $200 month)
Here's Jeff's program-
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-4975.html
yikes...having a chronic illness ain't cheap,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
VodooDoll
Family Member

Post by VodooDoll »

Hi Abe,

$75 a month on pharmas
$50-60 a month on supplements

I'm also on a modified SWANK diet.
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

- $65/month copay for Rebif
maybe a few dollars a month on a multivitamin and fiber

I don't take many supplements. I don't fully believe that taking many different supplements will have much of a benefit on my MS. I have tried some in the past but experienced no change.
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

I don't have to pay anything towards my copaxone (and i'm glad because it costs £550 a month here!)

As yet I don't take any supplements. I guess I am concerned that I could end up spending more than I can afford. I do spend more on obtaining a healthy balanced diet though. I need to look into organic veg / meats and whether they make a difference..... any thoughts anyone?
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

MrsGeorge wrote: I need to look into organic veg / meats and whether they make a difference..... any thoughts anyone?
Every now and then I will see a news report on the foods that a person really needs to buy which are organic. I remember that peppers and strawberries are among those which should be organic because too many pesticides are used on these veggies if they are not organic.

There are about 10 fruits and vegetables usually listed and I don't remember the others because they were some that I didn't eat and never bought. You should be able to find some of these lists online to help you decide which to spend the extra money on. Most of the time it is not worth the extra money because you can peel the skin off and avoid a lot of the pesticides.

gwa
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

good thought - there is a local organic food co-op here that sells food at a reasonable price (i've been told) so i might have a look at them (they're in my area tonight anyways).

I eat quite a bit of fruit so that might be a good thought! Am in a raspberry kick at the mo!
Abe
Family Member

Post by Abe »

EyeDoc wrote:- $65/month copay for Rebif
maybe a few dollars a month on a multivitamin and fiber

I don't take many supplements. I don't fully believe that taking many different supplements will have much of a benefit on my MS. I have tried some in the past but experienced no change.
Hi EyeDoc,

I'm always interested to read your posts, thanks for contributing. I have been taking supplements such as Alpha Lipoic Acid, CoQ10 and Acetyl-L-Cartine as I believe neurological degeneration, could in part by due to oxidative stress and free radicals in the brain. What do you think about this?

Hey cheerleader,

Yep 'having a chronic illness ain't cheap'... It's really messing up my finances! Like your husband I've also change my diet beyond recognition and started spending a lot more on food too. No bad thing.

Good tip gwa,

I'm going to have a root around the Internet for that list. I've heard bagged salads are pretty much the worst thing you can eat in terms of pesticides.

Abe
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Abe, I spend about $250 a month on high dose curcumin, skullcap and moderate dose capsaicin and bioperine to aid absorption. I take much smaller quantities of a chinese medicine tea which is principally rehmannia. I think that these are all exceptionally effective in my MS and so am glad to have spent more in the past experimenting on herbs to see which work. :)
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

Because we live in a country where there is little access to high dose vitamins, and a for a couple of years we couldn't have afforded them anyhow, we haven't been taking supplements. Have just been to the US though and spent about $250 for what should last 3 months. So, about $80 a month. Also taking non MS specific medicine....$10 bucks a month more maybe. (That's all for my husband)...foodwise it's all expensive everywhere...I try to eat less, so he has more, I can spare the fat!
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

MrsGeorge,

Here is Danish study on organic foods which is interesting. The basic premise is that organic is a lot more expensive and not any better than other foods.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/117628.php

No proof Organic is Best

gwa
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

umm...respectfully, gwa-
this study was published in the society of chemical industry's journal, and was a study to test nutritional content in the food, not pesticide residue.

It's just worth it to me and my family to reduce our toxic load. This also applies to cleaning products, water, and food. I realize this isn't financially feasible for many. I live in a mediterranean climate, and am able to buy fresh and locally organically grown produce. But this might not be possible for many. It's all about personal choice. And for many, organic is best.

as in most things MS related, you have to pick your battles.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

The third way did have allowable pesticides in the research.

"The first cultivation method consisted of growing the vegetables on soil which had a low input of nutrients using animal manure and no pesticides except for one organically approved product on kale only.

The second method involved applying a low input of nutrients using animal manure, combined with use of pesticides, as much as allowed by regulation.

Finally, the third method comprised a combination of a high input of nutrients through mineral fertilisers and pesticides as legally allowed."

It is just another study for people to read and add to their info to decide whether organic is better or not. You are right, a lot of people cannot justify spending the extra $$$ for organic, which is why I posted the article.

gwa