Uninsured and Unsure

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
LiquidSkin
Family Member

Uninsured and Unsure

Post by LiquidSkin »

Suggestions
Last edited by LiquidSkin on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Uninsured and Unsure

Post by NHE »

The following info may be of some help. Biogen, along with the other MS drug companies, have an assistance program for low income people. Biogen's program is called The Avonex Access Program. I am temporarily unemployed and get Avonex shipped to my doorstep through the Access program. They have a sliding scale but at your income level they can probably help out.

NHE
Punchy
Family Elder

Post by Punchy »

Posts like this make me so happy to be Canadian. Our system is far from perfect, but the idea of not being able to survive due to medical problems is just so alien to me. :(

I am so sorry you have to go through this stress on top of your medical issues. How long ago were you diagnosed? It sounds like your parents are having a hard time coming to terms with the diagnosis. When I first found out, my father pushed me a lot. He feared I would just give up and use the MS as a crutch of life excuse. It took time and a major relapse to scare him into realizing that this is an extremely difficult, serious disease.

I hope that your parents come around eventually. How involved are they in your medical care?

I am not from your country so I don't have any advice insurance-wise, but maybe you can try calling your state's MS Society? They would know the best channels to getting you on your feet again.
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

cause they were dropped off there insurance because of me
Once on an insurance policy, you cannot be "dropped" because of a new illness. If that were so, then none of us would be covered. What company would wish to pay the expenses? They have to.

You can be dropped off their's for being too old or for not being in school anymore.

If they had health insurance before you were diagosed, I don't see any way that you could be responsible for them losing their insurance.

I hope you figure this out. I don't think I'd want to be around people who were mad at me for having MS.

Terry
LiquidSkin
Family Member

Post by LiquidSkin »

Syptoms started begininng of Feb. I was dianosed end of Feb. of this year.
I give myself the shots and do all the paperwork adn stuff, so really they do much of nothin in when it comes to my medical.

The insurance company dropped them cause they had to many claims, for my MRI then a spinal tap and so on
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

That just doesn't sound like you are being told the whole story. Like Terry said, if too many claims were reason to drop you, then every pregnant woman would get dropped right after 'diagnosis' of being pregnant, or people with cancer would be dropped after they got the first chemo. bill. It's not like auto insurance and I would investigate with that company and get the rub. You probably won't be able to find out details of a policy you were riding on that wasn't in your name, but you could probably find out if what you were told in general holds true. What about people who have renal issues and people with COPD and chronic heart conditions and what not due to smoking? Your insurance company can not drop you just because you came down with MS. If that's really the case and it was me, I think I would be thinking I hit the lottery because I would sue the hell out of them and win.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Uninsured and Unsure

Post by NHE »

Liquidskin,
I agree with most of the other comments regarding your parent's situation. They should not have been dropped from their own policy. It sounds like you need to contact your state's insurance commissioner and file a complaint. Some insurance companies think people will roll over and play dead and won't stand up for their legal rights. Surprise them! Note that there may be some other legal actions that can be taken but I'm not a lawyer so you may want to consult with one.

NHE
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

If you were dropped from your parents insurance because of your age or because you aren't in school, that makes sense to me. I still don't think you could possibly be responsible for your parents losing their insurance.

There is always COBRA, but you have to act quickly. This is temporary insurance for those who lose theirs (lay-offs, etc) and need continuing coverage for a while. It is kind of expensive, but worth looking into. Maybe that would get you through until you find something else.

It is here.
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html

Also, a large company will not be so "harmed" by taking someone with MS. You probably won't even need to tell them you have it , just sign up for the insurance. Maybe you could look for work with a large company and slide right into their plan. For company plans, pre-esistings are usually covered and medical questions are not asked.

Terry
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i'm still confused about the workplace insurance. did you have some coverage in the first three months, and as soon as you would have to be covered for MS pharmaceuticals, the insurer dropped you altogether?

i was lucky enough to be covered (i mean for the interferon prescription - i live in canada near punchy so the diagnostic mri stuff is a non-issue), but i opted not to take any drugs for my ms. for now.

there is a lot you can do for yourself if you can't get the drugs that are recommended for ms. i've helped myself most with nutrition. i don't think that will necessarily work for everyone, but i had good reason to believe it would help me, and it did. i'm not totally recovered, but i'm a lot better. i haven't had a relapse since my jan 2006 dx attack (at that time i lost a lot of sensory, up to the collarbone, and had the "ms hug", and i couldn't type or write normally, or play guitar, and i was paying people to wash my hair?!?! it got fixed with a load of vitamins, and i haven't had any issues like that since)

if you want to ask me anything about nutritional tactics for ms, my door is always open.
JL
LiquidSkin
Family Member

Post by LiquidSkin »

Alright I asked my parents for more information on teh insurance thing, the insurance company gave them like a choice pay like 3000 dollars to make up for all the claims that were filed to upgrade there status or be dropped, which sounds weird to me

I tryed to ask my doc about natural treatments, cause I am having horrid side effects ot all the drugs he has me on (which I stopped tkae all but the inferon and I feel so much better thank you) he said he didnt believe any of that worked, but I dont trust him, he is the guy who tryed to give me nerve numbing patches...-hisses-
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Effective drugs?

Post by lyndacarol »

LiquidSkin--I agree with your doctor's opinion on the MS drugs, as you wrote,
he said he didnt believe any of that worked
I don't think science can offer effective drugs until scientists know their target, the cause of MS. Consequently, I choose not to use any of them. Please do not feel deprived if you have no way to pay for them.

I think that diet and lifestyle are the most effective treatment we have at the moment--anything that reduces the body's insulin production, of course (since I am the site's resident believer that hyperinsulinemia is fundamentally involved in MS.
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

My husband and I are self-employed which means we have to have our own coverage...no large group policy. When we got our renewal this year the monthly premium went through the roof. My insurance rep tried to contest the increase but they said we filled a lot of scripts the previous year and had had a major dx therefore they wouldn't back down from the increase. We had to look at other options and were absolutely totally honest on our applications. We ended up finding the best plan for the price with Anthem BCBS. It cost a little more (75 bucks more a month) but our copays are less for office visits and scripts. Find a local insurance agent and ask them to help you look. The only issue you will have is that if you aren't currently insured and aren't getting insurance through your current employment it may be hard to get coverage at a decent rate. It's sad to think you have to be insured to get insured.

Marcia
Marcia
MattB
Family Elder

Post by MattB »

You're about the same age as me and I can't imagine not having insurance. I really feel for you! :cry: I'm lucky to be on my mother's insurance until I graduate from school and I'll be getting into a public school teaching job after I graduate(hopefully). I hope you're able to find a way to deal with these things. I wish I could offer more but I'm still new to the "real" world.
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

"Also, a large company will not be so "harmed" by taking someone with MS. You probably won't even need to tell them you have it , just sign up for the insurance. Maybe you could look for work with a large company and slide right into their plan. For company plans, pre-esistings are usually covered and medical questions are not asked. "

I agree completely. This is how I am covered, under my office's insurance poilcy. We have approximately 35 employees. I did not have to answer any health related questions when I applied to the insurance, and they cannot drop me because I have MS.

Hang on. You can get insured.

Return to “General Discussion”