Got the flu,scared of relapse

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Got the flu,scared of relapse

Postby Waterbear » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:15 am

Hi,

My girlfriend has the flu i think (sore throat,fever,running nose),and we are scared it might trigger a relapse.She had her first ever relapse last month,and we are not sure if this makes it difficult for another relapse to occur so quickly-any strong views on this?

Also,does anyone have any tips about getting some protection from a possible relapse?

Thanx!
Yannis
Waterbear
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby Wonderfulworld » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:30 am

I seem to remember that Symmetral which is used for MS fatigue, is also anti-viral and is indicated for influenza. Ask your GP or neuro but I think you have to take it early on when you get flu.
Hope she manages to stay clear of the relapse
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:19 am

I have a cold/flu as my only known trigger for a relapse. Recently I have found that a medication called "Tamiflu" works wonders (on certain virus). I now keep a pack in the shelf, and do not hesitate to take some if I think I am developing symptoms of an infection.

I have used it now about 2-3 times for stopping a cold/flu VERY successfully. I also recently went on a one month vacation through 3 countries, and took it for the month as a prophylactic (half the standard dose), and didn't catch anything; I was on about 6 planes trips. I didn't notice any side effects whatsoever. It is now my best friend.

I also have Amantadine (Symmetrel), which I use as a precaution if someone is sick at work, or I sat close to someone sneezing on the bus. It comes in packets of 100, while there are only 10 in a pack of Tamiflu.

If only I had known 10years ago what I know now. :evil:
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:10 am

Stress, lack of sleep and colds/viruses all seem to be potential triggers. Help her avoid all 3. Keep your girlfriend well hydrated, rested and if you're a cook, some homemade chicken soup is the best for antiviral and anti-inflammatory propeties. Made with fresh veggies will only help:
Here's a terrific recipe and explanation of chicken soup's healing powers...
http://www.naturalnews.com/021260.html

Some supplements that I believe have kept my husband cold and virus free for eighteen months are: curcumin, vit. A,B, C, D, and E, resveratrol, quercitin, glisodin, omega 3 and 6 oils, and lots of anti-oxidants. We're also rather OCD about handwashing now. Just hot water and soap after being out in the world.

Good luck to you both.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby Terry » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:20 pm

This might sound odd, but for me, letting the fever run its course is better than medicating against the fever. The last two times I was sick, I took nothing, and came out just fine.
Terry
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:26 pm

because it guaranteed for me to relapse after a flu/cold its so strange to hear of people who aren't affected, but you are not the only one Terry. Not everyone relapses after a cold or flu, just like stress or lack of sleep do not trigger a relapse in me; nothing I know of except the cold/flu (and Flagyl) acts as a trigger.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby Waterbear » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanx for all the advice!

My girlfriend was away for the weekend at a place in the middle of nowhere,so no access to drugs or doctors.She took antibiotics on Monday,3 days after the first flu symptoms and so far (day 5 now i think) she didn't have any MS-related symptoms so fingers crossed no big trouble from the flu.
Waterbear
Family Member

Return to General Discussion