Michelle Obama: Her Father's MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Michelle Obama: Her Father's MS

Postby cheerleader » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am

It was incredibly moving to listen to Michelle Obama's speech at the Democratic national convention last night. She described how her father was diagnosed with MS in his thirties, and how he struggled, everyday, to get up and get to his job as a blue collar employee at the local water plant. He ultimately died too young, from complications of MS- but remains an inspiration to his daughter. He taught her and her brother the value of hard work in the face of adversity, and the need for hope.

For those who missed it: Scroll down to watch video-
Michelle Obama's speech

hopefully,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby HUTTO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:45 pm

nice find. im not a big obamma fan but this is interesting. its also very interesting that if mcain picks romney for his vp then that means both parties have a direct relationship to ms. thats crazy. romney's wife has it. maybe this is more prevalent then what they think..
HUTTO
Family Member

Postby Loobie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Maybe we'll get some serious NIH $$$ and get this damn thing figured out!
Loobie
Family Elder

no politics here in DC

Postby notasperfectasyou » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:15 pm

I saw the speech. I think MS is important to her. Regardless of who gets elected, I'd like to see more attention on MS. I realize that we will not get a full press push like we had for polio, but wouldn't it be great to have a government that wanted to cure MS.

What struck me was the importance of MS to her. She didn't gloss over it. MS is a part of her life that can't ever be taken away. For all of us here like me, it's helpful to be reminded that you don't have to be the one taking the drugs to experience MS.

I hope this doesn't just fade away like old newspapers..........
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Re: no politics here in DC

Postby cheerleader » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

notasperfectasyou wrote:
What struck me was the importance of MS to her. She didn't gloss over it. MS is a part of her life that can't ever be taken away. For all of us here like me, it's helpful to be reminded that you don't have to be the one taking the drugs to experience MS.

I hope this doesn't just fade away like old newspapers..........

I agree completely, Ken. My husband was out for a business dinner, and my 13 yr. old son and I watched her speech live on TV. He was really touched by her perspective- as a daughter, watching her father struggle.
"Hey, that's like my Dad...he doesn't give up, either," was my son's comment. I don't think this experience of MS ever leaves our children. Or us.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby rainer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:16 pm

very poetic, Bob :roll:

Some counter examples: Nancy Reagan and Jack Danforth. Both pro stem-cell Republicans, both personally witnessed a family member afflicted with a neurological disease.
rainer
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby Lars » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Bob,
I agree that MS may not become the cause Obama's administration will become known for but I am hoping that health care reform will be.
GObama
Be Well,
Lars
Lars
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby robbie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:58 pm

they say that the cost of 7 months in Irac would pay health care for everyone.
Had ms for over 19 years now.
robbie
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:02 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Healthcare Reform

Postby NHE » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:23 pm

For an intelligent and informative discussion of healthcare reform, you may be interested in watching the PBS Frontline documentary "Sick Around the World." It discusses how several other countries have dealt with the healthcare issue and how their solutions are working out (or not).

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby cheerleader » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks for that link, NHE. Looks like an interesting program. From just reading the introduction page, I learned something.
The one thing in common with the five countries profiled: the UK, Japan, Switzerland, Germany and Taiwan- all capitalist democracies- was that health insurance companies can not make a PROFIT from covering people. US insurance companies have made corporate profit job one....

America needs to decide what our priorities are. Robbie's right....we've chosen to prop up foreign oil and corporations over taking care of our own citizens. Shame on us.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby rainer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Lyon wrote:Sorry rainer, I didn't mean to imply that the relatives and people directed affected would lose interest in the cause, but my meaning was that it's near impossible to get and keep the attention of the general public to the point that they will also accept something as "their" cause..........until it affects them or someone they love.

Bob

I hope you caught that my eyeroll was directed at your fart in a hurricane metaphor :)
rainer
Family Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion