New day New surprise.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:34 am

hi terry, actually i'm not getting a warm fuzzy from reading that bazi supplement info :( sorry.

i'd say, keep up your daily regimen PLUS add the bazi, at a minimum. if the total mineral blend is only 50mg.. that sounds really low. really really low. compare to ms recommendations on calcium, 1200mg per day, magnesium, 600-1200mg per day.

the b-group vitamin levels are also pretty low - when i used b complex successfully the therapeutic doses were in the hundreds of mg per day, vs. .5 mg in a bazi serving. it has 1.5 mcg b12, meanwhile i imagine your routine b12 dose is more like 1000mcg?

the E is your typical d-alpha tocopherol, but the best E supplements will have at least 4 mixed tocopherols, or even an 8-blend containing 4 mixed tocopherols plus 4 mixed tocotrienols.

i think bazi has a very good variety of ingredients, but not nearly enough of each thing... except maybe the vitamin A as beta carotene. even if you go up to three servings per day.

your morning routine looks pretty good. i imagine your D supplement is D3... how much do you take on those two days per week?

how much magnesium and zinc have you been taking at night?

to change the subject slightly - is your multi adequately addressing your iron status? have you gotten that tested recently at all?

okay i had better get back to work in "real life" ;) take it easy
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby Terry » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:17 pm

JL D3 5,000iu
mag 400mg
B12 2,000 mcg (sometimes I only take half)
zinc 75mg (I skip this sometimes b/c you warned against taking too much)
fish oil 1,000 mg
My multi has 18mg of iron.
Occasionally I take chelated iron 25 mg. It has calcium also- calcium 45mg.
I don't take the iron pills often- afraid to. Just once in a while.
The Bazi... I noticed the minerals were just 50mg. I did like the wide array, though. I've thought about taking silver, gold, and copper, but was afraid to megadose them, so it seems a safe way to get them.

She did bring the Bazi this morning and I took it only once today. (Then forgot it at work)
Thanks for looking this over. Any input appreciated.
Terry
Terry
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:27 pm

hey there,
ok good to see those amounts.

were u one of the folks i advised not to take too much b12 in the morning? due to sleep disturbance?

you can take that much d3 every day, or say 5 days out of 7, easy, with no trouble.

DON'T take 75 mg zinc every day. get a test ASAP, no matter what you've been doing with supplements - gotta know where you are and where to go on from.

fish oil, lookin' good.

i know you have worries about the iron - can you get another test though? we established that you can't end up in damaging iron excess through supplementing to address deficiency..

i agree the bazi has benefits regarding diversity. but i don't think you should take it as a super-pill and ignore other supplements..!

hope that info is useful!!
JL
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Terry » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Very useful JL.
I'm not in a hurry to go back to the doc, but when I do, I'll have him test the zinc and iron.
What problems are caused by an overload of zinc?
Terry
Terry
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 am

i didn't notice anything particular when my zinc got too high (just high sex drive but not sure if they are linked), but you need a good zinc-copper balance. too much zinc means not enough copper. that can screw up your iron metabolism too. here's some info (although i haven't checked out the journals) http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C542179.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Terry » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:51 am

I read that MSers tend to have higher copper stores in their hair than normal. I wonder what would cause it not to absorb and end up in the hair. Maybe the zinc thing? Maybe other?
It is all such a puzzle, JL. I think you are the best ever at sorting all this out. I appreciate you.
Terry
Terry
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 am

aww, shucks! lol ;)
i will have to look into the copper and hair and ms literature. interesting!
JL
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Previous

Return to General Discussion