any advice?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

any advice?

Post by RuSmolikova »

Have you ever had a touchless fingers/palm? Does anything help?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

if by touchless you mean numbed, yep i have that... it's not as bad as it used to be, and the only thing that helped me to improve a little bit was the "modified klenner protocol" which really made me able to tell where my fingers were in relation to each other, without looking. and i could tell how tightly i was holding objects again. which meant i could type and play guitar and stuff again. pass bowls down the dinner table one-handed. and pick up my water glass without really thinking about it. all kinds of earth-shattering (?!) progress after a couple days on this system.

how bad are your fingers, r? can you feel pressure? can you target objects you reach for properly, or do you overshoot or have to correct your direction all the time? can you tell what's in your bag when you reach in for a wallet or camera, without dumping it all out to look at it?
or are they just feeling kind of asleep?
if you have some of the more debilitating problems, the klenner protocol may help (in modified oral supplement form, otherwise it's a huge pain in the ass involving multiple vitamin shots each day, that only a very rare doctor - or patient for that matter - is likely to agree to).

if you can't feel pain or temperature, that is more severe than i have experienced so i wouldn't be able to advise.

if you just have general numbness but otherwise full functionality, welcome to the world of "ms oven mitts". i'll let you know when i figure out the solution. so far i've only recovered as far as oven mitts that aren't hypersensitive and puffy. they are just normal hands that can't feel properly. sometimes i still can't tell what the heck is in that pocket, but my hands are about the best they've been in ages.

i think i have to do something serious with my neck to get it to improve. do you have any neck pain? do you have any spinal lesions around C7 and/or C8? i do. C8 affects the pinky and ring fingers, C7 hits the thumb through middle fingers.

when i first lost my hands, they were about the last things to go during my dx episode. i had very noticeable l'hermittes sign, which is all gone now - but was consistent with my cervical lesions that came up on mri. i also have a bulging disk at that location which i definitely associate with my ongoing sensory probs in the hands. gotta get this sorted out!

hope you can too r!! good luck -
JL
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Post by RuSmolikova »

Thanks JL!

I do control my fingers at the moment but I can't feel properly (the right hand is worse). I feel pain, pressure and temperature too but I feel myself like a ski mitts on. I never know what I´ll put out reaching in my bag for the wallet or in my pocket for the key. :twisted: Paying in a store i a nightmare as far as I belong to the minority of people who refuse to use cards!
I don´t have any neck pain, never have had the l´hermittes sign 8O althought I have a cervical and spinal lesions (C2, C4 and Th3-7 at the beginning MRI two years ago, now waiting for the second MRI).

Thanks for the explanation, I think that my present problems could be associated with the C5-6 osteophytes.

Have a nice day!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

r, a lot of that sounds pretty familiar *sigh* hehehe
just wondering: is you cranial mri clear?
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Post by RuSmolikova »

No, unfortunatelly. But the last cranial MRI on May 08 said: no active lesions. So the spinal cord lesions started to be active... :(
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

thanks for posting this. This started for me about a week ago but mainly in my finger tips. I can feel pain, pressure and temp but they are numb at the same time. Makes typing interesting! My grip is abit awful too and I am rubbish at gripping pens etc. I accidentally threw a garlic at the security guard in the supermarket last week because i din't get a good enough grip!
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Post by RuSmolikova »

This started at my finger tips too. One finger by one week, though the doc tried to stop it by "double" (infusion of 1 g cyclophosphamide + 1 g methylprednisolone).
... Unfortunatelly it didn´t help and numbness has spread down the palm and the forearm.
The doc tried injection into the spinal canal (80 mg DepoMedrol + 50 mg Cytosar) and the spreading has stopped! Middle ages miracle... :roll:
I try to believe that it will be gone one day and I´ll put the ski mitt off... :)