Waiting for diagnosis

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Waiting for diagnosis

Postby woodchipper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi,

I am a 32 year old white male and I am currently undergoing several neuological tests. My symptoms include: headaches, extremely week legs in the AM, numbness in legs, lack of coordination, dizzy spells, pain in hips, back and side, extreme fatigue, and spells of confusion and inability to properly form sentences. I am awaiting results from blood work and an MRI/MRA. My father was diagnosed when he was younger than me, his first cousin has it, and his sister is also undergoing tests. While I realize that MS is not heriditary, I know that it can be genetic. Does anyone have any similar family history or suggestions and thoughts on my situation? Any advice would me much appreciated.

Bob
woodchipper

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:04 pm

heya bob, sorry we've got such a no-fun club here, but welcome anyway - we make the best of a bad job. those symptoms sound like a whole lot of no fun that's for sure. if you think you want to try any self-treatment with pretty ordinary vitamin and mineral supplements, myself and a few others can post some ideas for you. let us know if you are interested :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby MrsGeorge » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:09 am

It sounds like you are having a pretty rough time with your symptoms at the moment. i hope that you get your answer soon. I don't know much about the genetic link in MS but I do have a cousin with it.

take car & welcome to thisisms!
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Postby MaggieMae » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:04 am

Yes, my husband's family has a similar family history. Do have your Vitamin D levels checked. Make sure it is the 25(OH)D test - not the 1,25(OH)D test. Our neurologist still says chances are slim of other members getting MS. I don't believe it.
MaggieMae
Family Elder

MRI results back

Postby woodchipper » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:35 pm

My MRI shows no evidence of MS yet my doctor still referred me to a neurologist. What are the chances of having a clean MRI and still having MS?

Bob
woodchipper

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:50 pm

i think there are a couple of people on here treated as ms patients with clean MRIs. with all the dx in your family they might load you onto that bus too.
however, if you haven't had much peripheral investigation done they may move on to that next.
a few tips on your lifestyle might point up some ideas to go forward with on your own, if you care to do so, while the docs hunt for answers.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion