I can't stop yawning

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MattB
Family Elder

I can't stop yawning

Post by MattB »

Over the past week it's been getting worse, I just can't stop yawning. I yawn every minute or so no matter how tired or pumped up I am. I've been doing the magnesium thing but it's just not helping and it's driving me crazy!
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

Excessive yawning (1-4 yawns/minute) is associated with a variety of conditions. The majority of these are disorders of the central nervous system, and include epilepsy, encephalitis, brain tumors, multiple sclerosis and progressive supranuclear palsy. Excessive yawning is also associated with opiate withdrawl and the consumption of a variety of drugs that affect neurotransmitters, such as drugs prescribed for Parkinson's disease or depression.
So it could be the MS or meds.

Terry
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bummer matt - what kind of mag and how much daily? i never had the yawning prob, just plain old shortness of breath was what the mag fixed for me...
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattB
Family Elder

Post by MattB »

jimmylegs wrote:bummer matt - what kind of mag and how much daily? i never had the yawning prob, just plain old shortness of breath was what the mag fixed for me...
The breath thing actually seems to have improved, it's just the yawning.

I sure hope this is something that passes because it sure is annoying.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

here are some interesting tidbits:
The researchers also looked for a relationship between breathing and yawning by having people exercise. Exercise, obviously, causes people to breathe faster. However, the number of yawns during exercise was not different from the number of yawns before or after exercise. Therefore, it appears that yawning is not due to CO2/O2 levels in the blood and that yawning and breathing are controlled by different mechanisms.

So, the question remains - why do we yawn? Dr. Provine suggests that perhaps yawning is like stretching. Yawning and stretching increase blood pressure and heart rate and also flex muscles and joints. Evidence that yawning and stretching may be related comes from the observation that if you try to stifle or prevent a yawn by clenching your jaws shut, the yawn is somewhat "unsatisfying." For some reason, the stretching of jaw and face muscles is necessary for a good yawn.

In 2007, researchers proposed that yawning is used to cool the brain. They found that people yawned more often they pressed a warm or room temperature towel against their heads than when they pressed a cold towel against their heads. People who breathed through their noses (thought to reduce brain temperature) did not yawn at all.
kind of speaks to both the aforementioned thermoregulation idea, and also that maybe your system could be getting used to being able to stretch and fill up those lungs again after a bout of lesser muscle functionality?

Return to “General Discussion”