25-foot walk rules question, is jogging allowed?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

25-foot walk rules question, is jogging allowed?

Postby notasperfectasyou » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:56 am

So here's the shocker of the week.

Last night Kim "reacted" to my racing around before bed (turning off the lights and locking the doors, etc.) by racing me to the stairs. Kim was just trying to be faster than me, but without thinking about it, she ran. I saw her run. You could call it a light jog, but for the briefest of moments, she was completely airborne!

I looked at her in shock and said "how long have you been able to do that?" She said, "two seconds, you think if I could run, I'd wait to tell you?" Husbands are geniuses, aren't we?

So at 1:00 am last night there we were, timing Kim's jogging/running across the 25-foot course we have in the kitchen.

Obviously, I'll have more to say about this in my thread. But, my question for everyone is:

It's called the 25-foot walk, does that mean, by definition, timed walkers MUST walk, or can they run or jog?

Here's the best link I could find: The significant change for the Timed 25-Foot Walk in the Multiple Sclerosis Functional Composite.

We are very excited, we just woke up, this was only 9-hours ago. Ken
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Lyon » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:15 am

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

walk means walk

Postby notasperfectasyou » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:14 am

yup, I found it in the Dictionary of Multiple Sclerosis By Lance D. Blumhardt, Xia Lin, Serono Symposia. Page 212.

Oddly enough, I have this book.

Is the patient allowed to run? No, the patient should walk quickly but should not run.

Thanks Lyon, we will still be testing this out over the weekend, but will continue to walk for the official weekly taping. Ken
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Re: walk means walk

Postby Lyon » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:22 am

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby robbie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:55 am

i think the neuro wants to look at any changes in your gait, i don't think running would work.
Had ms for over 19 years now.
robbie
Family Elder

Postby Loriyas » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Ken
Walking or running, this is awesome news! So happy for Kim!
Lori
Loriyas
Family Elder

Postby MrsGeorge » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:43 am

That is fantastic news for Kim - I am really pleased for you. I suspect tho that the 25 foot walk is a walk tho! Tell her to keep up the jogging at all other times though! :D
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Postby antifreeze » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:04 pm

I am newly diagnosed but have had episodes for 20+ years. I found it curious that during the times I had problems walking on the beach it was much easier to jog. I thought it had something to do with static versus dynamic balance. Standing still I get an off-balance or falling feel that I don't feel while moving around. I think my boyfriend at the time thought I was just being ornery.
You cannot make a crab walk straight - aristophanes
antifreeze

Return to General Discussion