Depression and MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Depression and MS

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I am sure depression has been a topic of discussion many times before on this board. But, with the dark cold months on winter fast approaching I wonder how many of us with MS face special challenges? I know I seem to be effected more by depression in the winter. How do others deal with this? Meds? Run off to warm sunny places for mid winter vacations? Although I have read it time and time again that people with MS face a high risk of depression, I still not sure I understand why? Other than the fact that we have MS, is it a chemical problem? Well, with many things associated with MS, more questions than answers.
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Depression and MS

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hey Dave-
Depression was Jeff's presenting symptom, some 15 years ago. He waited many years to take an antidepressant. Of course, now seeing his MRIs, we understand. Most of his lesions are in the corpus callosum, the part of the brain which connects emotion and language. Hard to talk about how you feel when your brain is being disrupted. Effexor helped him function.

I believe he suffered from a form of "vascular depression" found in the elderly with circulation issues. Depression is often the first sign of neurological illness. He's been so much better with improved circulation, nutrition, exercise, supplements and understanding he has MS....but he'll probably be on Effexor the rest of his life.
hope you find your own answers...
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
MattB
Family Elder

Post by MattB »

I was depressed for the longest time and I didn't see anyone for it. Finally this summer after I got my heart broken I went and saw someone. After a month or so I started to feel better generally and it got better throughout the fall. Now that winter is here I'm feeling down again and I'm thinking about going back to the doc to see what they think. I just can't stand being depressed like this, I have no reason to be really as I'm mostly over things.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Shortly after MS diagnosis and onset of major symptoms I became really depressed. The interferon and the MS both are known for that effect. I had some really dark days where I just wanted to take a permanent dirt nap. I started some therapy and meds which seemed to help. Now I am entering a new phase of MS F-ed upness and the depression is creeping back in like a vampire on a full moon. I know not what to do. More meds? I think not. It is not seasonal mood disorder as I live in San Diego and I think it is never going to rain or be cloudy again. It has still been in the high 70s and low 80s here. Boo hoo :wink:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Depression and MS

Post by NHE »

Grumpster wrote:It is not seasonal mood disorder as I live in San Diego and I think it is never going to rain or be cloudy again. It has still been in the high 70s and low 80s here. Boo hoo :wink:
As I look out my window, the sky is as gray as the concrete, current temperature 48°F (8.9°C), and drizzling rain all day. :roll:

NHE
Cojack
Family Member

Post by Cojack »

Hey grumpster...dirt nap? :lol: thanks for the laugh...i needed it...i'm not sure which came first the depression or the MS actually....i blocked most of my symptoms over the years with a healthy dose of self medication...i always thought i felt so crappy from a hang over (AKA beta blockers extraordinaire)...and was so coffee fueled during the day...San diego...don't blow my theory...i'm now in vancouver and am planning on doing LA for a couple of months to get over the blues

Jack
rasnet6
Family Member

Post by rasnet6 »

well winter is fast appproaching, and that means all i want to do is go to sleep in my lovely comfy bed...

my hubby drags me out by my feet most morning to me wailing 'i dont wanna get up'- btw im not a teenager anymore either (he he)

im sure this is a form of dark night depression ... perhaps one of those daylight lamps will help....

but the summer will come again and im sure i will start to feel like i have had enough sleep to face the world....