Note we may have some server downtime today and this weekend as we perform some upgrades. Please save a copy of any posts you make during this time in case we have any server trouble. Thank you!

EBV research

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

EBV research

Postby bromley » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:07 am

Last edited by bromley on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bromley
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:25 am

I would tend to believe this. At one point in my workup, I had a blood test fro EBV antibodies, and it showed high levels on the IGG test. The doctor didn't flag this at all, said it just showed past exposure and a lot of people have it. I wonder if doctors in general should be looking at more closely at EBV levels on their MS patients.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby Wonderfulworld » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Very interesting.
I too developed EBV at age 19 and dx with MS at 25.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Postby Terry » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:28 pm

I don't know how old this is, or if it has been posted before, but it is interesting.

www.medlink.com/web_content/index/MLT000FL.asp
Terry
Family Elder

Postby rainer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Encouraging to see people are still pursuing this angle.
rainer
Family Elder

Postby bromley » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:41 am

A piece on the Australian MS Society website about this research:

http://www.msra.org.au/news/index.php
bromley
Family Elder

Epstein Barr & MS

Postby Cojack » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:14 pm

In my case i'm positive it's Epstein barr roaring up my spine/or the anti bodies.....i had it about 20 yrs ago for a year and a half...extreme fatigue...i've asked to be tested for it/to no avail/i suppose nothing they can do anyway...however...i eventually got over it for the most part on time release vit c,forcing myself to exercise an increment more each day, and tagamet...if you google tagamet AND MS....from memory...i think there's a plethora of links mentioning that that was the going treatment back then...something about tagamet...mollifying the suppressor t cells? i think the doc told me to take it the rest of my life...but of course i discontinued it 20 yrs ago...if any of you can make sense of that...

jack
Cojack
Family Member

Re: Epstein Barr & MS

Postby CureOrBust » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:44 am

Cojack wrote:i eventually got over it for the most part on time release vit c
That caught my interest a bit. It was over 20 years back I had EBV. I remember that my glands were swollen for a few days, and then the lethargy hit me like a ton of bricks. I took MEGA doses of Vitamin C and over the next 2 days the lethargy (and the swollen glands I think) were gone. The doctor I saw (just before the lethargy) told me I would be hit for 7-14 days. Its interesting you may of found VitC just may of helped also. :?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby Cojack » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Cure,

you had it for that short a time? Hmmm...i had the lite sore throat, cog, fatigue for over a year or so....finally got tested for it/came back "reactive" ...evidence of a past infection with EBV"....does this mean anything? do tests come back with stronger or active results? i'm wondering if tagamet would do anything positive again...considering the inciting Aussie study that certain immune systems are susceptible to it...i'll quit rambling.

jack
Cojack
Family Member

Return to General Discussion