Having surgery tomorrow, first since MS dx

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
flora68
Family Elder

Having surgery tomorrow, first since MS dx

Post by flora68 »

Tomorrow morning I'm having a general anesthetic for throat surgery. I haven't had surgery since I developed MS, and I'm wondering if there's any reason to expect anything different. The NMSS site says it's no biggie, but I have sometimes found their advice lacking in the past.

I'd appreciate anything you guys would care to share regarding MS patients having surgery with a general anesthetic. If you had surgery since you developed MS, do you think your MS was affected by the surgery and/or the anesthesia? Do you think your recovery was affected by your MS? What if anything would you suggest under the circumstances?

Don't worry, you can't scare me. I was a midwife :wink:
Jill
Family Member

Post by Jill »

hi flora, i have not had surgery since the m.s. dx, but i just wanted to say i wish you the best with your surgery and a fast, gentle recovery!! {{{{{flora}}}}}
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

We will be thinking about you tomorrow, wishing you an uneventful surgery and recovery
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Same for me, flora! I'll be thinking of you, too!

Hugs!

Deb
flora68
Family Elder

Dear Jill, Aaron, and Deb

Post by flora68 »

Thank you so much for your warmth and support. Your wishes for an uneventful surgery and a gentle recovery must have been heard. My surgery not only went well, but it actually started on time! And the best part is that, except for a slightly sore throat, I'm feeling fine :D ! I haven't even felt nauseous! They must have made some serious advances in general anesthesia since the last time I had it (about 15 years ago I think). I'm six hours post-op and have already eaten ice cream and actually enjoyed it. That's the silver lining...I love ice cream, and for awhile I can eat it pretty much guilt-free.

As for the MS, the anesthesiologist didn't seem concerned either. He just asked me if my RRMS was pretty much in remission, and I said yes, as far as I can tell it's basically stable with nothing much happening unless I overdo it. I guess that's the key to recovering from surgery too-take it slow, don't push.

Thanks again for your sweet messages of support. You guys rock!
BioDocFL
Family Elder

Post by BioDocFL »

flora68,
Good to hear everything went okay. I believe they use combinations of anesthesia nowadays so that they can use less of each of them and thereby reduce the possible side effects that any one of them might cause.
Enjoy the ice cream. We are envious.

Wesley
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Hi, flora!

That's great! I'm glad to hear your surgery went so well!

And I'm with Wesley.......I've been craving ice cream lately. :)

Deb
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Excellent news! Cheers to a continued speedy recovery!
Jill
Family Member

Post by Jill »

yay flora! this is great news, thanks for the update. enjoy your ice cream, have a scoop (or 2, umm 3, maybe 4???) for me! :lol:
flora68
Family Elder

Last update and thanks

Post by flora68 »

I wanted to thank all of you once again for all of your kind and encouraging words. They really helped. Seriously.

I also want to let you know that everything was benign and I'm already all healed up! :D One lesion (a squamous papilloma) had been visibly growing and would have continued to, so I'm relieved that it got taken care of so early when it was easier. And I can even yawn now without trepidation, and it's only been 11 days. I know I said it already, but I'm just amazed and grateful to have had such an easy time of it, and no MS flare-ups either. Woo-hoo!

As I've also said before, I've had numerous major and minor surgeries throughout my life, and until last week's I'd always had a dramatically difficult time of it, with the anesthesia and the drugs, and this was the first surgery since my RRMS dx in 08/03.

I wasn't quite as concerned about the pain, because with constant practice and an allergy to all narcotics I've gotten really good at dealing with it. But I had ample reason to expect another really rough time post-op if only because of the anesthesia, and my family doc expected the same, having seen me post op more than once. :oops: If this surgery had gone half as badly as all the others did, we were concerned that it might have triggered my brain to start chewing on itself in confusion. Thank goodness it didn't.

I did made a big point of following orders (soft diet, lots of rest, etc.). The only residual effect is that I lost a little strength and flexibility from all the lovely resting, but I'm getting it back. I'd had a slight cold and a bit of asthma for a few days about a week before the surgery, so I hadn't been able to work out at the gym for almost 2 weeks, which is also extraordinary for me. It was the first time in over 5 years that I missed even one week of work-outs, much less two! (It's not that I'm all that dedicated; it's just that I have this spinal problem and some arthritis, and the workouts help a lot with pain and stiffness.) I finally had a light workout day-before-yesterday, and it felt pretty good.

Anyway, I'm fine now and I thank you for your kind support :)
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

wonderful to hear that it went so well. It's our pleasure to have lended you some support! :)
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
puppy0898

Re: Having surgery tomorrow, first since MS dx

Post by puppy0898 »

I have a few surgeries since my Dx. And I can say I had no problems. I think my only problem was I had to remind them to give me my MS meds while I was in the hospital and I had to ask my doc should I inject myself (on Copaxone) prior or after the surgery. Good luck and it should turn out well.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Having surgery tomorrow, first since MS dx

Post by jimmylegs »

welcome to TiMS puppy :) watch the dates on posts you reply to.. that one's pretty ancient!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.