Trigeminal Neuralgia

A forum to discuss living with trigeminal neuralgia for people with MS.
Pookie
Getting to Know You...

Trigeminal Neuralgia

Post by Pookie »

Does anyone out there have trigeminal neuralgia?? What are your treatments for it??

Thanks!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia

Post by HarryZ »

Pookie wrote:Does anyone out there have trigeminal neuralgia?? What are your treatments for it??

Thanks!
Friend of mine who has MS had this problem a few years ago. Went to the neuro with her and he diagnosed it quickly. Apparently there are two causes for it...one being from the nerve damage of MS which is easily treated with the drug Tegretol. I forget the second cause but remembering the neuro stating you really didn't want the problems associated with the latter.

Harry
Pookie
Getting to Know You...

Post by Pookie »

Thanks, Harry!

It's my fiance who has the MS and Trigeminal Neuralgia. His neuro put him on Gabapentin but after taking it 2 days, he got rubber legs and fell. Was not good! The neuralgia did stop for awhile - but it's back with a vengeance!

Thanks again.

Marlene
beerduff
Family Member

Post by beerduff »

Pookie wrote:Thanks, Harry!

It's my fiance who has the MS and Trigeminal Neuralgia. His neuro put him on Gabapentin but after taking it 2 days, he got rubber legs and fell. Was not good! The neuralgia did stop for awhile - but it's back with a vengeance!

Thanks again.

Marlene
Hi Pookie
I found this post a little late.
I hope it might help.
My wife was also diagnosed with this.
The walk in doctor first said that it was an ear infection.
We then went to our own GP and he also thought it was an ear infection, he did say if it got any worse to go to the hospital.
I purchased the drops as directed and as soon as i administered the drops it set off the pain.
We finally had to go to the emergency at the hospital it got so bad, the doctor at the emergency shook his head when we told him of the first diagnosis.
She told me that it was the worst pain she had ever encountered, we have three children so she has understanding of pain.
She was put on Carbamazepine 200mg x 2 twice a day.Seems to be doing the trick with no adverse reactions.
Just a thought, i wonder if there is some link to the CCSVI seeing as this problem is in the veins.
hwebb
Family Elder

ccsvi and facial pain

Post by hwebb »

hmm, this is very interesting to me. I have a neck vein problem (Can't wait to get my vein unblocked.

hwebb
hwebb
Family Elder

trigeminal neuralgia caused by enlarged blood vessel

Post by hwebb »

Apparently (according to wikipedia at least) research has indicated an enlarged blood vessel can compress or throb against the trigeminal nerve/s causing pain in the ear, eye, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, teeth or jaw on the side of the face.

There can be other causes too (like tumours).

There are a variety of treatment options:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal ... ite_note-5

strangely, none of the treatment options are focussed on reducing the enlarged blood vessel (all are focussed on altering the nerve in some way).

hwebb
freshface

Trigeminal Neuralgia

Post by freshface »

During the course of my MS, I have been diagnosed with trigeminal and occipital neuralgia. One of my neuro's (who tries more unconventional treatments) said he read of trying a low (so low, the other neuro said it could not do anything) dose of a blood pressure medication. I have been trying to find which one it was, I do not remember, but it worked and it has not come back. I took the blood pressure medication for a short time only. Prior to taking it, the pain was so severe, I almost crashed my car. Now with this CCSVI info, it really makes me curious as to the vascular issues. Did you have any vertigo also?
rainer
Family Elder

Post by rainer »

Cold compress.

Alternating hot and cold is also supposed to work well.