Itching?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Itching?

Postby 71jules » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:13 am

Hi, does anyone get or did you have extreme itching anywhere on your body before diagnosis or now?

I have now had to add this to my list of symptoms and had pain in my leg like an electric shock and the same in my left eye.

The symptoms list is getting longer and longer and longer.

Thanks guys.

Jules
71jules
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby CureOrBust » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:30 am

I recently had a week or two of profuse itching, scalp mostly. I also noticed my skin felt more sensitive to discomfort around the same time.

I am currently on a monthly dose of Prednisone, so it went away when that started.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

ta for that

Postby 71jules » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:43 am

Hi again, my foot and back have been scratched red raw and even used a kitchen ustensil on my foot, yuck, yes it went in the bin, lol.

Nothing can relieve it, very bothersome at night when you are trying to sleep or in public and it looks like I have fleas....

Good night.

Jules :wink:
71jules
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:43 am

the only time i ever had profuse itching was 20 yrs ago after trying a tanning bed. not a good idea for this gal. how can you be *allergic* to uv?? i was not burnt at all. but itchy i sure was.
more recently i got itching of a diff kind, because of folic acid overdose. happened to my mom both times that she was pregnant and the docs were telling her to take lots of folic acid. i've heard of the itch during pregnancy from others too but haven't heard back yet if they've had their folic level tested.
unfortunately, no connections that i can see to ms!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Terry » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:55 am

Jules,
My face, mostly the right side, itched like crazy in '06. If I'd bend my head forward my hair would fall forward also, sending me into a face-rubbing frenzy. My eye also itched and I used eye drops to no avail. The itching finally cleared. Only on occasion do I have it now and it is momentary.
I hope yours clears soon. I know it is miserable.
Terry
Terry
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:14 pm

actually, I had another thought.

Logically, the itching is most likely either:
1. A symptom of MS, and therefore in your CNS.
2. You have some hideous skin condition
3. Your as crazy as me.

I have a cream called "Emla" that is a rub-on local anaesthesia, which I purchased from the chemist without a prescription way back when I was on Rebif (injections).

Now, if I ever get a big annoying mosquito bit that itches like crazy, I apply some of this stuff and it goes numb, ie no itching. Its the best!

Maybe you could try some of this cream and see if the itching reduces. If it does, it would logically implicate that its not your MS, its peripheral and needs separate attention. Just a thought :?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Marie mentioned this in another thread on celiac disease and gluten ataxia...maybe look into gluten allergies?

Dermatitis herpetiformis is an autoimmune disorder characterized by chronic, intensely pruritic (itchy) symmetric groups of vesicles, papules, and wheals (hives), that may occur on the elbows, knees, arms, legs, shoulders, scalp, buttocks, neck, and face. Dermatitis herpetiformis, which is also known as Duhrings’s disease, Brocq-During disease, and dermatitis multiformis, usually occurs in people with celiac disease and well as milder forms of gluten sensitivity, and less often, in people with autoimmune thyroid disorders.

Dermatitis herpetiformis has also been reported to occur in people with vitiligo, type I diabetes, Sjogren’s syndrome, dermatomyositis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

link
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

ta guys

Postby 71jules » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:55 pm

I had seen a dermatologist two years ago who ruled out everything even tinia, found no reason why there should be itch.

I will mention it to the GP next time and see if the blood work might pick something up.
I find when getting results back and you are told they came back fine, you go through them yourself and you find levels marked as either higher or lower than normal in bold. Worrying I think. I have had hormone levels checked to be told they are fine and they are way out of balance. I always request a copy of my results so I can check them.

I thank you all again.

Jules
71jules
Family Elder

Postby msmything » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 am

I think the itching, if it's like mine anyway, is one of the travelling annoyances. i meant travel from one part of your body to another,

The itch seems to be underthe skin, scratching provides little relief

Sometimes a warmish bath with lots of colloidal oatmeal soothes me away from violent scratching. Then I lather up with a skin calming cream..Aveeno makes one. The game is to not give in to the 1st scratch.

Sometimes, you just have to go ARGGGH and go at it.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
msmything
Family Elder

hi ya

Postby 71jules » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:07 pm

I agree, the scratching does seem to be under the skin and you can't get to it and can't relieve it in any way.

I have had it on my foot, back, legs and stomach.

Will keep in mind what you mentioned.

Thanks

Jules
71jules
Family Elder

hi again

Postby 71jules » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Just a thought, wouldn't you think if two dermatologists could find nothing to explain the severe itch they may have suggested someone else who might help or ask about other symptoms I had have?

Maybe not I suppose because a Dermatologist prob doesn't help you guys with MS who are suffering itching.

Curious........

Jules
71jules
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:45 am

the under-the-skin-can't-scratch-it itch was exactly what i had the last time. that was the time that my folic acid was too high.
when i cut back on the folic the itch disappeared and has not returned. i decided it was just a problem with a b-complex product that was out of balance. last time i looked i did not find documentation on folic acid excess symptoms - it doesn't seem to be out there on the medical radar... yet...
my colleague's friend, who suffered itching during pregnancy (including folic acid supplementation), complained to the doc of the itching. the explanation given was about the skin stretching. again with resorting to a visible, physical explanation. the patient's complaint was that she was hardly swelling in her legs and arms so why would she be itching there more than her belly??
gotta check up on that scenario at work today and see if i can get an update on that story.
also will have to read up again, on the relationship between b12 and b9 (folic acid) and see if i can make some sense of this.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Wonderfulworld » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Itching is a recognised level of pain on the MS-pain spectrum. See: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/pare ... thesia.htm

At the moment the back of my head, now right eyelid, now right knee, my chin, next my arm, back to face....itch. It moves, it crawls, it drives me flippin' mad!! It can be slightly relieved by amitriptyline but not completely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

hi again

Postby 71jules » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Thank you guys, wonderfulword so sorry to hear about your terrible time with the crawling sensation.

Jimmylegs I am unsure if they check folic acid but maybe it is when they request a full blood count.

I thought the dr was rather rude in leaving the door open during the consultation when I was emotional and giving him the low down on all the symptoms. He only shut it when he checked my reflexes and poked me with a pin everywhere, which I didn't cope with due to needle phobia. Even though he wasn't piercing the skin I got frightened and he acted as though I was a pathetic girl.

Oh, man I am having trouble thinking and writing and making sense to myself. I have been staying away from people because of this.
I think I am coming across as though I have been drinking. I asked for white sugar the other day at maccas. Come on Julie, white sugar? Ok I told myself you can buy brown so maybe it didn't sound that bad.

I will post this in my other area of the site too guys.

Thanks again

Jules
71jules
Family Elder

Re: hi again

Postby CureOrBust » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:07 am

71jules wrote:Jimmylegs I am unsure if they check folic acid but maybe it is when they request a full blood count.
I just had a battery of blood tests today, and I listened as the two nurses discussed how their protocol had recently changed, that when a B12 and a Folic Acid test (ie separate tests) were requested, they now use two separate tubes.

71jules wrote:I thought the dr was rather rude in leaving the door open during the consultation
That's not only out of the ordinary, its unacceptable. This was a consult? not an emergency admission right?

71jules wrote:he acted as though I was a pathetic girl.
Unless he is an unbelievable neuro, get a new one. How can you trust someone that decides what is worth complaining about. Symptoms next?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion