hello and question

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

hello and question

Postby reneelucia » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:13 am

Good Morning,
I am brand new to this site. Was diagnosed with ms in october but was sick for about 2 years before they could figure me out. I "present" differently from others with ms. (whatever that means) I go to the ms clinic in Portland but live out in eastern oregon.
I have the strangest symptoms which have gotten bad the last month. All of a sudden my arm starts seizing up and I can feel an electric shock thing up to my head and down my back. It is so painful when it peaks that I cry. Also last time my arm started bouncing around but I couldn't feel it.
What is this? I can't believe it is a muscle spasm. Pretty much tires me out for the rest of the day. Doc has me trying neurotin. Started last night after resisting that for a while. Seems like the lesser of 2 evils for now.
So has anyone had arm attacks like this or am I the only one?
Thank you for being there,
Renee
reneelucia
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby chrishasms » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:28 am

I believe it is the L'hermittes sign and 95% of us have it here. It usually comes from a lesion in the spinal cord at neck level.

I use Baclofen and Marijuana and a steady supply of supplements. Ask Jimmy legs if you are interested because she would know what to do for you!
chrishasms
Family Elder

Postby scotty » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi There,
I am only new to this. As yet i am undiagnosed but i get the muscle spasms where my left arm can go from sitting freely by my side to slowly end up behind my head on the right side of my body, then it will eventually release. I also get like a Boa constrictor tightening around my chest to the point of the first time it happened i thought i was having a heart attack. From what i have read it is called the MS Hug and is caused by lesions in the spine. I am glad i am not the only person with these strange sensations. I have just come out of hospital with the worst case ever of the squashing chest to the point of not being able to breathe and then when i could i had a very coarse cough.
Thanks for listening.
Scotty
scotty
Family Member

Postby cheerleader » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Welcome Renee and Scotty-
Sorry you find yourselves here, but this is a good place for support and learning how to deal with MS symptoms. Sounds like you both have some painful spasms and MS hugs.

My husband's spasms have been greatly relieved with diet and supplements (his are in his legs mostly, sometimes his diaphragm- the MS hug). The one supplement that helped spasms the most for him is magnesium. Use the search function (upper left corner) and you'll get lots of posts on magnesium supplementation. That, and vits. B12, D and the minerals zinc and calcium have taken the edge off the pain for him. He also exercises regularly on his bike or elliptical machine, and that helps, too. It's a scary when these symptoms start showing up, but there is relief- just knowing what they are can help you deal with them.
best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby reneelucia » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for all this. I guess with my right arm anyway, I can't tell if its muscular or nerves...kind of like a seizure that goes up to my head, around my back, etc. There is an intense tightness in the beginning that Scotty described and it gets so bad for a few minutes that the pain is way over the 10, then things slowly get back to normal over a few hours. The md and I are trying to figure out if muscles should be treated or nerves (hence the neurontin). The muscle relaxers, etc. didn't seem to have an effect. Feels more electrical, for the few hours afterward it feels like my arm is waking up after being asleep..
Thanks for the info on the supplements. still packing away the vitamin D.
Fun, fun fun.
Hope you get better soon Scotty. I'm not so into hugs but I have felt them around my ribs.
Renee
reneelucia
Family Member

Return to General Discussion