Pregnant Cat Cures MS!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
dignan
Family Elder

Pregnant Cat Cures MS!

Post by dignan »

Not really, but look out for that headline at a tabloid near you. Seriously, this article looks at importance of remyelination in pregnant cats with some kind of disorder. It highlights the importance of remyelination, which I've been wondering about since there seems to be demyelination and a neurodegenerative element to MS.

Study of cat diet leads to key nervous system repair discovery

March 30, 2009 - Scientists studying a mysterious neurological affliction in cats have discovered a surprising ability of the central nervous system to repair itself and restore function.

In a study published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a team of researchers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison reports that the restoration in cats of myelin — a fatty insulator of nerve fibers that degrades in a host of human central nervous system disorders, the most common of which is multiple sclerosis — can lead to functional recovery.

"The fundamental point of the study is that it proves unequivocally that extensive remyelination can lead to recovery from a severe neurological disorder," says Ian Duncan, the UW-Madison neuroscientist who led the research. "It indicates the profound ability of the central nervous system to repair itself."

for the rest of the article:
http://www.physorg.com/news157654992.html
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

Digna - Great find...I love cats too they are worth there warm fuzzy attention!
flautenmusik
Family Member

Post by flautenmusik »

Now if only my cat would remyelinate me! :D I have enough of them that I would be fixed.
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

Love this!! :D

CF
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

It is indeed important. However, the study is about cats, which are not closely related to humans. It would be more interesting if it were about monkeys.

If we assume that the human nervous system has the ability to remyelinate, why doesn't it? Is it because the MS process is not halted? If that were the case, Lorenzo Odone's brain (who doesn't have MS at all) should have been remyelinated by now.

sou
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

I'm not a cat person -sorry all you cat people :)
but this is a cool study dignan.
sou wrote:It is indeed important. However, the study is about cats, which are not closely related to humans. It would be more interesting if it were about monkeys.

If we assume that the human nervous system has the ability to remyelinate, why doesn't it? Is it because the MS process is not halted? If that were the case, Lorenzo Odone's brain (who doesn't have MS at all) should have been remyelinated by now.

sou
But the human nervous system can remyelinate, sou. I put up the research from Luccinetti at Mayo on the "types of lesions" thread....
Dr. Lucchinetti, leading an international group of collaborating scientists in the MS Lesion Project, identified over 700 people worldwide with MS who underwent brain biopsies. From these tissue samples, they discovered evidence of remyelination in humans. In the process they also uncovered four distinct patterns of tissue destruction in MS. These subtypes explain some of the variability of symptoms between patients. Two of the MS patterns showed evidence of strong natural remyelination. Two did not. They also found that strong remyelination in a given patient in the early-stage MS may not translate into good remyelination in late-stage MS.
http://discoverysedge.mayo.edu/de07-4-n ... cchinetti/

My personal paradigm is that the level of venous insufficiency and blockage correlates to the CNS's ability to remyelinate.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

Hi.
cheerleader wrote: My personal paradigm is that the level of venous insufficiency and blockage correlates to the CNS's ability to remyelinate.
I only hope that it is true. But then, adrenoleukodystrophies must have something to do with blocked veins. It is very unlikely. So, why doesn't remyelination of the CNS occur in other conditions?

Actually, it doesn't really occur in any condition. To make myself clear, when I say remyelination, I mean it to a degree that allows a person to function normally. This includes going jogging on a hot day. Ok, I would be happy even if the day were cold or not going jogging at all. But what we see is that spontaneous remyelination is more than inadequate. And, while blocked veins could only make things even worse, I doubt that this is the only reason remyelination fails. I wish I prove wrong!

sou
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

sou wrote: But then, adrenoleukodystrophies must have something to do with blocked veins. It is very unlikely. So, why doesn't remyelination of the CNS occur in other conditions?

sou
Actually, leukodystrophies have an etiology that is known. They are a genetic disease, caused by a defect in which the child's body cannot break down sulfatides or long-chain fatty acids. This eventually leads to the demyelination in the brain white matter.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

But still remyelination fails, even if the patient adjusts to a diet that prevents further disease progression.

sou
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

true
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Found this on a website, take it with a pich of salt but worth sharing.

Factors that Promote Remyelination

The Ciliary Neurotrophic Family :

CNTF, leukemia inhibitory factor, cardiotrophin-1, and oncostatin M have been shown to induce a strong promyelinating effect by promoting oligodendrocyte maturation, mediated through the 130 kDa glycoprotein receptor to the CNTF family (86).

Thyroid:

T4 administration to experimental allergic encephalomyelitis animals resulted in an up-regulation of oligodendrocyte progenitors and mature oligodendrocytes in the spinal cord, ofactory bulb, and subventricular zone (11).

Thymus:

Ikehara reports that the success rate of bone marrow transplants in patients over 45 years of age is low, due to the aging of the thymus. BMT plus embryonal thymus grafts can be used to treat late-onset autoimmune disease in mice and can be a valuable strategy for treating older patients with various intractable diseases, including autoimmune diseases. (33). NatCell Thymus, a thymus extract providing a broad spectrum of thymic peptides (www.atrium-bio.com) is being used successfully to restore immune balance in patients with autoimmune disease who are not on immunesuppressants.

Adrenal Support:

Krenn presents a case of Adrenoleukodystrophy that mimicks the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Both conditions include lesions of the white matter which may be alleviated with adrenal support. (44). Adrenal insufficiency is present in 85% of the childhood cerebral forms and in about 70% of the adult forms of adrenoleukodystrophy (26) and may contribute to white matter lesions in multiple sclerosis as well. Since adrenal extracts may also promote corticosteroid-induced stem cell injury, products such the Atrium adrenal extracts should be used several weeks before stem cell therapy to strengthen the adrenal glands.

Interleukin-1:

Mason writes that interleukin-1 beta promotes remyelination and CNS repair through inducing astrocyte and microglia-macrophage-derived insulin-like growth factor-1 (55).

Interleukin-10:

Interleukin-10 was found to protect against oligodendroglial death evoked by lipopolysaccharide and interferon-gamma. IL-10 downregulates the function of inflammatory cells and promotes survival of progenitors and differentiated oligodendrocytes. (60).
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

The reason why the cats became sick and developed the neurological problems and loss of myelin in the first place was irradiated food. Can't believe I missed that in dignan's first article.
While looking into why pregnant cats on a special diet of irradiated food began to have problems with movement, including paralysis and vision, University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers found that the felines' nerve fibers had lost the fatty myelin insulation that helps signals pass along these axons.

Once off the diet, though, the cats' bodies reestablished thinner myelin sheaths that allowed the cats to recover fully, but slowly.
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/hscout/2009 ... 25606.html

Food irradiation is the process of exposing food to ionizing radiation to kill bacteria, microorganisms, viruses. When this happens, electrons become unpaired and free radicals are released. I talk about the problem with free radicals and nitric oxide in the endothelial paper. The FDA has approved of irradiation for these foods: beef, pork, lamb, poultry, wheat, wheat flour, vegetables, fruits, shell eggs, seeds for sprouting, spices, herb teas. Irradiation is used in over 40 countries....
hmmmm,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

That is awful! Is organic food irradiated?

Return to “General Discussion”