Jelinek's website

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
LR1234
Family Elder

Jelinek's website

Post by LR1234 »

Always make me feel more hopeful

http://www.takingcontrolofmultiplesclerosis.org/

Worth a read.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I had never seen that page, thank you very much. I really appreciated it.

He won my loyalty immediately when he started out talking about MS and acknowledged that it is of UNKNOWN origin. It is my personal litmus test for credibility, if an author starts out with "MS is an autoimmune...." my bull$&*^ radar goes up.

Its in my favorites now! Thanks!
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

L -

What a great website...forwarded to other folks that would be interested too. Thank you.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I got on there also and rooted around. The thing I absolutely loved was that I had not read any of these writings yet. Maybe the guy who does the site writes, them, but he footnotes great and they're well written. I like it!
pinpricks
Family Member

Post by pinpricks »

mmmmmmm ... :?
It's written you can eat pasta, wheat ... etc
It's against the gluten free diet!
Who wrote this? any proof that it is what we have to do?
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

There are many different diets: BBD, Swank, Jelinkek's each have their own rules and theories. If you did all of them you would have nothing to eat! I kind of mix em up a bit: I eat meat (including red meat very occasionally) I don't eat dairy at all, and I don't eat gluten (although I am considering eating oats again as they made me feel well) I also do eat legumes (except soya and beans)
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

L - I agree...I look at them all and take the stuf that I can apply or when i eat/shop etc. i am aware of the diet contraints and work them as much as I can when i eat. we can go furhter with gluten, glycemic and ph balanced meals as well...ARGhhhhhh. qulity of life? H.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I'm down with the diet issues comments. I was a diet nazi for some years, eventually I progressed and I decided that in fact it was not OK that I had not had any birthday cake etc. for those years. I did feel pretty well never eating a food I was sensitive too-I had a test for food allergies at the naturopath's office--but it was true that there was almost nothing to eat.

One of the few things an MSer can do normally is eat--as in go to a restaurant and have a meal with friends. I sure can't golf or spend a day sailing with them, but I can be there for the meal and coversation part. If you are a food nazi this gets very difficult.

And if you are trying to do swank and BBD...and food sensistivities to boot, forget it! You are left eating quinoia, rice, bananas, apples and kale.

When I got my food sensitivities done I was sensitive to every food I eat regularly. Lettuce for crying out loud--LETTUCE! can you imagine a diet without that?

It'd be worth it if it stopped MS but it did not seem to. I try to rotate now and avoid a lot of any one thing. And if I get invited out, I go and I eat whatever looks good. It is a quality of life issue. :D
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Marie,

Thank you so much for writing that. I feel that way sometimes too, and I have some very strong feelings about walking the line between quality of life and taking care of yourself. While I don't think it's wise for us to simply not give a rat's butt and smoke and eat fatback everyday and that kind of stuff. It definitely gets tiring trying to live life when you're not loaded down with dough and have to work, and also try and go to the market daily for all the good fresh stuff and everything. Plus, when you're like me and you have a black thumb (can't cook to save my ass except for the grill) it's hard to make all the good stuff palateable. So I am like you in that I try to "eat really well", but try to stay on the normal side of neurotic about it. There's just so much when you try to wellness your way out of progression that makes your life regimental. Sometimes I think that makes more stress for me than allowing a few less than perfect decisions to happen. My bane was all the damn junk food I was eating. That is easy to cut out with little effort. But when I'm out camping and I get the opportunity to slow cook a brisket all day and just almost orgasm at the way it tastes with a nice cold Guiness, it really makes the endorphins fire, and I think that's important too.

Like you, I have had times where I was a drill sergeant with myself and progressed anyway. That's when I, and keep in mind this is just me, have to temper what I want to do with my diet and exercise with a bit of reality in realizing that someimes just constantly "missing out" on all the good stuff is also bad. So just making over all good decisions when they are looked at in toto is what I now strive for. So if I eat a great sensible dinner of a chicken breast and asparagus and brown rice, I can also allow myself to mow down on a ribeye steak when out with friends; I just can't make it an everyday thing like I'd done for years.

So I try to megadose my fruit and veg. and eat whole grains, and stay away from all the "factory food" I was eating. It's a lot easier, for me anyway, to do and makes me feel like I can be more spontaneous, which I think we all know is something that we definitely have less of a propensity for now.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

I think ms can be divided into stages the same as cancer, the more you become disabled you change your thoughts about life and how you are going to live it. Thoughts and decisions are directly related to the stage of your ms.Someone with little damage from ms will try things that another with moderate or severe ms will not bother with. The idea of doing things right dwindles as your ms continues. In a way though it’s a relief because the wondering of what if I did this or that is gone.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I hear you Robbie, and that's exactly what I'm talking about.