Interesting thoughts

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

I guess they're saying the re-growth of these neurons is a good thing? And that the treatments that suppress inflammation might inhibit this re-growth?
I thought they were saying these are good and those treatments are killing them off along with the other things.

All I can say is that you have an awesome memory. I vaguely remember it. I looked it up and that conversation was a full year ago.
I remember it because I still think it is very important. I heard through my daughter that one of my cousins had recently been diagnosed with MS. She didn't know which one- I have many. I said I bet it is Cindy. It was. Why did I know that? Reddish hair and freckles.
You're referring to the "ccvi" thing that cheerleader and mrhodes40 are all excited about?....MS as a vascular disease?
Yes, and unfortunately from that I get the feeling it is just another symptom. The venous issue starts in the white matter. Not that we can't make it better, Jeff has already done that. But perhaps not the complete answer we are all looking for. ?
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Quote:
You're referring to the "ccvi" thing that cheerleader and mrhodes40 are all excited about?....MS as a vascular disease?

Yes, and unfortunately from that I get the feeling it is just another symptom. The venous issue starts in the white matter. Not that we can't make it better, Jeff has already done that. But perhaps not the complete answer we are all looking for. ?
It absolutely could be just part of the syndrome that is MS. The research is not done yet.

From here:
CLICK
A major challenge in multiple sclerosis research is to understand the cause or causes of remyelination failure and to devise ways of ameliorating its consequences. This requires appropriate experimental models. Although there are many models of acute demyelination, at present there are few suitable models of chronic demyelination. The taiep rat is a myelin mutant that shows progressive myelin loss and, by 1 year of age, its CNS tissue has many features of chronic areas of demyelination in multiple sclerosis: chronically demyelinated axons present in an astrocytic environment in the absence of acute inflammation. Using the taiep rat and a combination of X-irradiation and cell transplantation, it has been possible to address a number of questions concerning remyelination failure in chronic multiple sclerosis lesions, such as whether chronically demyelinated axons have undergone changes that render them refractory to remyelination and why remyelination is absent when oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs) are present. Our experiments show that (i) transplanted OPCs will not populate OPC-containing areas of chronic demyelination; (ii) myelination competent OPCs can repopulate OPC-depleted chronically demyelinated astrocytosed tissue, but this repopulation does not result in remyelination--closely resembling the situation found in some multiple sclerosis plaques; and (iii) the induction of acute inflammation in this non-remyelinating situation results in remyelination. Thus, we can conclude that axonal changes induced by chronic demyelination are unlikely to contribute to remyelination failure in multiple sclerosis. Rather, remyelination fails either because OPCs fail to repopulate areas of demyelination or because if OPCs are present they are unable to generate remyelinating oligodendrocytes owing to the presence of inhibitory factors and/or a lack of the stimuli required to activate these cells to generate remyelinating oligodendrocytes. This non-remyelinating situation can be transformed to a remyelinating one by the induction of acute inflammation.
thought that one would add a little bit to the discussion of inflammation helping......
mommasan
Family Elder

Post by mommasan »

My parents came to visit and just happened to bring this huge picture of me when I was seven- lots of freckles and auburn hair. We have tons of redheads in the family. Are redheads more likely to be RRMS?

Sandy
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Red hair and freckles here. Interesting stuff.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Well are we all Irish? Very high incidence of folks with that background too. I'm 1/2. Part o' the Dougherty clan don cha know?

My hair is reddish brunette and I have freckles and am very fair...burn to a crisp if I don't watch it.
mommasan
Family Elder

Post by mommasan »

Nope, not Irish. In my childhood everyone thought I was. Eastern European Jewish on both sides.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Wow that is wild...I don't mean this like it sounds...considering the malice of the mid 20th Century it's amazing you have those genetic anymore to pass on. Good show Sandy!!
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

same as me mommasan!
Eastern European and Jewish on both sides

L
mommasan
Family Elder

Post by mommasan »

Well, Chris... My grandparents on Mom's side were born here in the early 20th century. My paternal grandfather left before the holocaust- his other 12 siblings were slaughtered. They had huge families in those days.

Sandy
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I think my mum's grandparents came from Russia and then moved to the UK.... I know Crohn' disease affects a high percentage of the jewish population, not sure about MS
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Wow Sandy that is wild! My wife's families mothers side were Polish and her Grandparents actually survived the Holocaust and moved here but I believe they were the only ones who survived as well. Shows what a truly small world we live in.

Off subject but I remember being a kid of maybe 7 at a Catholic Church and seeing a guy there with a number tattoo on his forearm. I told him, "My gramps has a tattoo on his forearm too!" My mom looked down and turned 15 shades of red. The man smiled politely and told my mom it was OK.

I went home from church and my Mom explained exactly what that was. It started me on a life time of becoming a WWII buff. I never saw the man again unfortunately.