Axonal loss in PPMS less dependent on demyelination

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Axonal loss in PPMS less dependent on demyelination

Postby marcstck » Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 pm

This study showed that axonal loss is one PPMS is less dependent on demyelination and in SPMS, providing further evidence that PPMS is not simply SPMS that skipped the RRMS phase.

[S17.004] Axonal Loss in Primary Progressive MS is Less Dependent on Demyelination than in Secondary Progressive MS
Emma C. Tallantyre, Nottingham, United Kingdom, Lars Boe, Bergen, Norway, Lowe James, Nikos Evangelou, Nottingham, United Kingdom.

The questions examined here were whether axonal loss correlates with disability, and are there different patterns of axonal loss in PPMS and SPMS. Cervical spinal cord autopsy sections from 17 PPMS subjects, 30 SPMS subjects, and 7 controls were stained for myelin and neurofilament (a protein in axons). The extent of demyelination was higher in both white matter and gray matter in SPMS subjects compared with PPMS. Most lesions in both groups were classifed as "chronic inactive." SPMS and PPMS subjects had similar amounts of axonal loss overall, which correlated with EDSS scores immediately before death. However, in lesions, axonal loss was higher in PPMS than in SPMS. So while there were fewer plaques in the PPMS samples, those plaques had higher levels of axonal loss. The research team will be doing a similar analysis lower down the spine in the lumbar region to see if the same pattern exists there.
Last edited by marcstck on Fri May 08, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcstck
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Axonal loss less in PPMS dependent on demyelination

Postby cheerleader » Fri May 08, 2009 5:03 pm

marcstck wrote:This study showed that axonal loss is one PPMS is less dependent on demyelination and in SPMS, providing further evidence that PPMS is not simply SPMS that skipped the RRMS phase.

The research team will be doing a similar analysis lower down the spine in the lumbar region to see if the same pattern exists there.

Glad they're looking outside the brain!
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: Axonal loss less in PPMS dependent on demyelination

Postby marcstck » Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 pm

cheerleader wrote:
marcstck wrote:This study showed that axonal loss is one PPMS is less dependent on demyelination and in SPMS, providing further evidence that PPMS is not simply SPMS that skipped the RRMS phase.

The research team will be doing a similar analysis lower down the spine in the lumbar region to see if the same pattern exists there.

Glad they're looking outside the brain!
AC

PPMS quite often involves the spinal cord more than the brain. So much so that it was been called "Spinal MS" in the past...
marcstck
Family Elder

Postby peekaboo » Sat May 09, 2009 7:25 am

thanx for the post marc...i'm a ppms'r I will be going to stanford june 2 and i do wonder what my veins will look like and where the stenosis will appear. I do have dawsons fingers (brain) but i know my cervix and spine must have areas of concern. i know a man who had spinal injury and his leg spaticity is just like mine....
peekaboo
Family Elder

Postby robbie » Sat May 09, 2009 7:35 am

I do have dawsons fingers

what is that peekaboo ?
Had ms for over 19 years now.
robbie
Family Elder

Postby peekaboo » Sat May 09, 2009 8:03 am

Robbie:

check this cool website out..it can show you better than i can tell it

http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/455 ... bf2fc34950
peekaboo
Family Elder

Postby mrhodes40 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:04 am

what a totally awsome website PKboo! love the pictures!
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7318-0.html This is my regimen thread
http://www.ccsvibook.com Read my book published by McFarland Health topics
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Postby robbie » Sat May 09, 2009 11:28 am

interesting peekaboo thanks
Had ms for over 19 years now.
robbie
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion