I don't know where to begin. Help?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

I don't know where to begin. Help?

Postby Sportiness » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:25 pm

Hey,

I haven't been officially diagnosed, but the symptoms are speaking volumes, i.e. pins & needles, optic neuritis, depression, (no paralysis fortunately), speech problems (w/ a speech communications Master's degree ironically), and bladder problems.

I am a black female in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood, without a job, or health insurance, or a neurologist. My relapses, if that's what they are, are getting closer together, i.e. once months apart, now weeks.

They told me in college that early treatment is best, but I had no money. Ironically, I still have very little money. I don't know where to start.

Prayer can take me very far, but I still have to do something, even if it means getting down on my knees to begin with. So... fire away? :)
Sportiness

Advertisement

Postby peekaboo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:37 pm

hello sportiness -

you have come to the right place for pier support, suggestions, etc. I used to live in Chicagoland...kindred :)

suggetions...go to clinicaltrials.gov I know rush is taking subjects for one trial...

some ms meds offer patient assistance but a doc is needed to prescribe :(

If you can afford buying supplements private message jimmylegs for advice....

work on stress management...when i am stressed my symptoms are aggrevated...

and ofcourse additional prayers...you are on the list w/me...
peekaboo
Family Elder

Well, why not?!

Postby Sportiness » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Hey Kindred! :)

Thanks for replying... I'm checking out that site right away... even if I have to be a lab mouse (no rats... ew) I gotta do something...

I'm too broke for supplements... I'm eligible for two of the two trials, I think. I'm so unfamiliar with alot of the terminology. So I'm applying anyway.

Thanks! Any further advice?

Sportiness
Sportiness

Welcome, Sportiness

Postby lyndacarol » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 pm

Each of us probably has his own thoughts on your situation; but each would probably start any advice with "Take a deep breath." No one will offer a diagnosis online, even if we were physicians (which most are not). Without an official diagnosis of MS, you are in that awkward stage that many here go through.

I encourage you to find a doctor you trust--I would start with a good general practice physician, one who is willing to work with you. It would seem logical to pin down the diagnosis first. I understand the financial constraint: Perhaps the local MS Society could help you find one? Or through your church minister? Are there any free clinics in your area? Perhaps in conjunction with the med schools?

Start with a thorough exam, searching for possible causes for the symptoms you list. Eye pain?...have your sinuses been checked? By the way, most of us have had an MRI for diagnosis.

There is no accepted treatment to "fix" MS--yet; scientists don't know what causes it; but many of us here think the answer is just ahead. If MS is your ultimate diagnosis, you have time to do some reading up on it (and there is LOTS to read just at this website! I recommend you start with the Reading Nook.). In my opinion, it is not a wise idea to rush into any particular drug treatment. Do your homework first. Many of these drugs are VERY powerful, even dangerous.

As questions come to you, ask your friends here, search for answers, and share your findings with folks here. Welcome, Sportiness, and our best to you.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby chrishasms » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:26 pm

You need to go to your free hospital and they need to get you into an MRI tube. When they say you have MS, if you do the next thing they will do is refer you to a Neuro that may be able to help.

The next thing tell them you want a RX for Copaxone. The reason why is the company gives there medicine for free to those who qualify and you sound over qualified.

Shared Solutions
1-800-887-8100

That is who you will call to set up the program.

Go to the hospital now, free or not. You have got to do something now or you will hate yourself later. I waited 5 years too long!

Please keep us posted!
chrishasms
Family Elder

Re: Welcome, Sportiness

Postby Sportiness » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:15 pm

SUper thanks Lyndacarol...

I had a few MRIs and LPs (the only acronyms I really know) while I was in college.

This was back in 2004 and then I stayed for a Masters... so it's been a while since I've had coverage.

I'll start w/ finding a doctor... I believe there is a free clinic just down the street for me. Hopefully, they won't BS me around.

Thanks again!

Sportiness
Sportiness

Ok Ok Ok...

Postby Sportiness » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Well if this isn't the scariest reply yet... well... nope, this is the one. lol

(just keep smiling)

On my way...
Sportiness

General hospital info

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:26 am

In my latest AARP Bulletin there was the following general information that may be useful to someone at this website:

"Hospitals that receive federal funding are required to provide care to a percentage of their patients without health insurance coverage. Most offer so-called charity care until the hospital has reached its annual limit. Find out if the hospital gets federal funding. If so, it's required to give you the application for charity care. Ask to talk to someone in the hospital's business office, patient services department or social work department. You might also contact your state's health department to see if your income qualifies you for charity care, and your state's human services or social services agency to learn if your income qualifies you for other benefits. The federal government also suggests, at answers.usa.gov , that you ask the hospital to reduce its rates and work out a monthly payment plan."
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby ElMarino » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:11 am

Hey Sportiness

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Just to look on the bright side, there a an awful lot of people investigating the illness and advances are made every week. More and more effective treatments are being developed and, who knows, something really special might happen any day now..

Chris is quite right though, get some treatment straight away. Just like Chris, I put it off for many years and, just like Chris, I regret it.

Good luck!
ElMarino
Family Elder

:)

Postby Sportiness » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:21 pm

super thanks!

I'm checking up w/ the MSAA to see about joining one of their programs. I'm so broke... anyway. :)

Things are looking up! I'm reading about MS again... sorta... This is sooo scary. Actually, I'm quite scared about everything and I just hope I haven't completely messedup. Sheesh...

Ok before I go nuts... I'm gona eat somethin'... maybe some more Ramen... I'll tell u all about my little recipe for spicing them up later. :)

S.
Sportiness

Postby peekaboo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:32 pm

hang in there sport - although it is a scary road we take with ms ...you are not alone...please take some comfort in this and TIMS...
peekaboo
Family Elder

TIMS?

Postby Sportiness » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:03 pm

peekaboo wrote:hang in there sport - although it is a scary road we take with ms ...you are not alone...please take some comfort in this and TIMS...

What's TIMS? And Thanks for the reply. :)
Sportiness

Re: TIMS?

Postby DM » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:31 pm

Sportiness wrote:
peekaboo wrote:hang in there sport - although it is a scary road we take with ms ...you are not alone...please take some comfort in this and TIMS...

TIMS=This is MS (.com)

It is unfortunate that you are experiencing this difficult situation. I understand that in the States, universal health care is a questionable topic however living in Canada, everything for my MS is completely covered by the system, except for the drugs however I am on a test study, so the bill for all my MRIs, tests, doctors, medication, blood tests and even parking and such have so far cost me 0.

I guess in a way I am fortunate to be living on this side of the border.

I hope everything works out for you...
DM
Family Elder

Postby Sportiness » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:19 pm

DM wrote:
Sportiness wrote:

TIMS=This is MS (.com)

It is unfortunate that you are experiencing this difficult situation. I understand that in the States, universal health care is a questionable topic however living in Canada, everything for my MS is completely covered by the system, except for the drugs however I am on a test study, so the bill for all my MRIs, tests, doctors, medication, blood tests and even parking and such have so far cost me 0.

Dang Canadians! lol ;-)
Sportiness

Postby DM » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Sportiness wrote:
DM wrote:
Sportiness wrote:

TIMS=This is MS (.com)

Dang Canadians! lol ;-)

That's our socialized medical system for you. Although in certain cases we must wait a long time for certain medical things such as MRIs, and joint transplants, and maybe your hospital have even more sophisticated equipment than ours, and our wait times in emergency rooms are indeed longer, the level of health care is roughly the same. I was looked after pronto, all my tests were done in a month's time, and I am being well looked after by one of the top MS docs in the world.

However, off topic, I hate the bitter winter cold, short days, tomz of snow and all the other crap associated with winter, which is no different than Vermont, New Hampshire, northern New York State, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Montana and others. Maybe by me having grown up here was a cause for my MS, who is to know. All I can say is, is that I have never been sick all my life, and the first time I had to swallow a pill was when I started on the clinical trial.

I normally post in the Drug Pipeline area under Teriflunomide, the pill I am am guinea pigging on but I was reading your posts with interest, and decided to post here too.
DM
Family Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion