Thyroid problems and MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Alicia
Family Member

Thyroid problems and MS

Post by Alicia »

Hi,

I recently went in for a physical exam and had some bloodwork done. They called be back today and told me my thyroid levels were off and to come in for more tests, that this could be related to an autoimmune disorder. She asked me if I had been feeling lethargic lately. I told her I don't think I could tell the difference. I always fell tired from the MS. This thyroid deal coupled with the other health problems I have been having lately is making me feel picked on. Has anyone else had thyroid problems related to their MS?

Thanks,

Alicia
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I have Hashimotos as well. I did have high antibodies to my thyroid but now the LDN and or abx seems to have sorted that as they have returned to normal!! (I am having my bloods checked again next week)
Alicia
Family Member

Post by Alicia »

Hi,

I would like to thank you for your responses. I don't live by any of the great lakes.

Thanks,

Alicia
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi alicia do you know what your iron and zinc levels are?
lmacalus
Family Member

Post by lmacalus »

I hear y'all on feelin "picked on" - I've thrown on a good 30+ lbs in about twice as many days - no change to diet & low & behold my thyroid is abnoramally "enlarged". labs were drawn yesterday & ultrasound is scheduled for Friday... what next? I'll post the levels 7 results when I get them back. Sadly, I am glad to see I am not alone on this one... has anyone actually seen the weight come off at all... my MD cautioned that once my levels are corrected at best I can hope to lose a pound a month... thus it would take well over a year to get back to baseline - not accounting for fatigure, etc already associated with the MS. Geesh if I was depressed before!
me_x_5
Family Member

Post by me_x_5 »

HELLO,I have not been diagnosed yet with MS but Ive had hyper thyroidism during and after I had my son in 07-08,then everthing with MS started 09.And jeeze yeah picked on is the right word.When my thyroid stuff got really bad,I ended up in the ER because I could not even pick my head up off my couch I was like a zombie,with 0 energy.And i had a 1 year old and a new baby!!OMG I thought I had cancer or something,but couldnt even get help to see,Im alot better now,I have to get test done every 3 0r 4 months and my test are always 1 or 2 point different than the last!!
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

First diagnoxed with probable MS in 1984 after birth of first child (ON). Then 4 years later about 1 year after the birth of my second child I was diagnosed with Graves disease. Resolved with Rx treatment of PTU. Once my throid levels were brought into the normal range, my cholestrol went up to about 230 and has stayed in that range ever since. Normal triglycerides though.
Alicia
Family Member

Post by Alicia »

Sorry, I have not checked this post in a while I have been busy dealing with my doctor about thyroid issues. I am so confused about this thyroid problem. I was wondering if any of you could tell me how high your TSH level was when your doctor started treating you. I am getting conflicting information from my doctors office and I am not sure what my next step should be. My TSH in 2001 was 2.69 and now it is 4.63. My Free T3 is 282 and Free T4 is 1.2. I have been told that yes I do have antibodies that are attacking my thyroid and no that I do not. Yes if I were treated for this I would feel better or I could just leave it alone because it was within a normal range. Come and follow up with more bloodwork to see if anything has changed in 8 weeks or 4 months. I have a hard enough time making decisions in the first place and this is enough to really confuse me. I am thinking I should see someone different that knows a little bit more about thyroids, but who? Should I try for a different general physician or someone more specialized like an Endocrinologist? Or should I just give up and leave it alone? I am tired and have a handful of other symptoms that have to do with thyroid disease but most of the symptoms I have could also be MS symptoms. If I were placed on a medication for this other than bloodwork I don't know how I would ever tell if the meds were working. I had a complete blood work test done and nothing was said to me about having low zinc or iron levels. I do take a multivitamin every day. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alicia
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Time for an endocrinologist

Post by lyndacarol »

Alicia and others--A good General Practice physician can handle problems, testing, etc. with the thyroid; but if you are not satisfied with his answers, it is time to see an endocrinologist. Start at the beginning, ask for retesting of the related thyroid hormones, and while you are at it, ask to have a "fasting serum insulin test." (That is INSULIN, not glucose.) I think that excess insulin has an important role in many "autoimmune" diseases.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

I have a theory that the lesions MSers might get in their brain, affect the pituitary gland which sends the hormones to the thyroid. I thought this was an interesting article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/05/magaz ... NOSIS.html
and maybe that is why LDN helps with MS:
http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index. ... row=203919
Not like the most scientific proof, but just a little thought, so I mention it.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

alicia, mx5, forgive me for not checking in on this earlier.. but have either of you had vitamin d3 bloodwork done?
me_x_5
Family Member

Post by me_x_5 »

NO, I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT DONE,AND I CANT EVEN FIND MY PAPERS ON MY TEST BUT I WILL AND POST,OK,THEN YOU SEE MY LEVELS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok good i'll keep an eye out for that
you know to test 25 hydroxyvitamind3
NOT
1,25 dihydroxyvitamind3
right me?
Alicia
Family Member

Post by Alicia »

No, I have not been tested for vitamin D3.

Alicia

Return to “General Discussion”