First MRI- What to Expect?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
dictatedbydance

First MRI- What to Expect?

Post by dictatedbydance »

Hello, I just had an MRI done recently to see if ms is the cause of my many elusive symptoms. Talked to a few people on here and they said it sounds like ms. Also did my own research. One doctor thinks fibromyalgia, which is a possiblity. The other said "could be ms. could be" in her slick russian accent- then patted me on the shoulder and said "moose and squirrel. moose and squirrel." ...at least i wish she did try to comfort me by saying that. Haha...

[clears throat] Anyway, was wondering what to expect. Will they be able to tell for sure? I know a lot of people have trouble diagnosing this. Should i get the opinion of two doctors who have reviewed results?

Just want to get this over with asap. Can't really operate as much as my 50 old mom because of symptoms! So any advice that would get accurate results asap would be very beneficial. I know it could be fibromyalgia, but there's been progression and vision problems that aren't typical of fibro. I just want to be certain when a doctor gives me results. So i'm not trying to treat one thing and have another. American healthcare is terrible. Even read an article of a highschool student diagnosing herself in biology class, when doctors weren't giving her anything constructive. But poor healthcare system is a whole another huge topic. Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.

~sam
queenie
Family Member

Post by queenie »

Have you had an LP yet? If your mri shows lesions (with ms, it may or may not), then the LP would be diagnostic.
Docs seem reluctant to dx ms without definitive data. I think this is because it is so lifechanging, they don't want to hang that tag on anyone without being sure.
I am a nurse (RN) and have travelled quite a bit, and have family overseas. I can tell you that I think our healthcare system is the greatest - at least the best available.
If it IS ms, don't be disheartened. Get on a tx regime, and you may find yourself improving. Knowing is better than NOT knowing. Knowledge is power/
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

just in case you don't know what LP is ...Lumbar puncture

What the MRI is looking for is enhanced lesions, white matter and gray matter difference....research ms & mri's and you may get pics of diagnosed subjects.
dictatedbydance

Ack! A spinal tap. Frightening.

Guess it'll be obvious if there are lessions or anything.

What's the tx regime?

Oh, also i wanted to ask if ms weakens your immune system. Recently got two infection super easy. Not sure if it's even related... am sickly in general anyways. Stress from symptoms, too, and i know stress can weaken your immune...

Thanks for the advice. I'll just be glad to get a diagnosis of whatever (don't care at this point) and start treatment. MS is just the lead suspect and what we are looking into at the moment.
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

I can't help w/ tx regimine but having ms does not weaken the immune system...it is our immune system attacking our nervous system. We are cautioned to avoid immune boosting supplements and foods so not to give the immune system any additional power.
dictatedbydance

Hey, thanks for the help. No lessions. So yay! Still gonna try to see a nuerologist. The soonist is sept. but going to look around for another near by to get in sonner (not many around)...

Oh, also final got a name for my eye blobs i get. Phosphenes. Someone, on a fibromyalgia forum, gave me a helpful link, i glanced at on my own before but ended up reading all the way through... Read a few test that i could on my own and found out something interesting that may offer much help. Walking heel-to-toe... i laughed with shock at my inability to pull this off. Also closing my eyes and standing feet together i was all twitchy. But when my pain pill kicked in, ultram (which is more closely related to anti-depressants than an opiate), i could do all these things no problem. Wondering if anyone would a clue what is proves..?

Here's the link http://www.mult-sclerosis.org It looked like an excellent site. I read the diagnosis page. Very informative. Where i got phosphenes again, which will be extremely helpful in symptom description for doctors. I've had these for years... five years ago i think was the first time. Anyway.. Just trying to return the favor, since you guys have been a lot of help... although i'm sure the website doesn't have too much you don't know already.

Welp, thanks again. All of you are making the process of figuring out what the hell is wrong with me a lot easier.

Return to “General Discussion”