Drinking alcohol

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

Artifishual wrote: I seldom get intoxicated
YEP, Me niether.... 8O
flautenmusik
Family Member

Post by flautenmusik »

peekaboo wrote:flautenmusik - may i ask if this ID is in English flute music? I love flute music and my here is Jean Pierre rom..can't get it out now..ms fart
I am actually a flutist. :) I perform and also teach. If you like Rampal, you should also check out Emmanuel Pahud. He is my personal favorite.
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

During these last three days off, I tried to drink the bottom out of budweiser. Only thing I did was increase the stock value in tylenol. Simply put... Did ALOT of beer drinkin the last three nights, to the point of not remembering going to bed, niether night. It didnt seem to bother my MS at all,...
Mamacita
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mamacita »

The beer problem people are mentioning may be more connected to gluten than to alcohol. Gluten seems to be a big problem for a lot of people with MS, and several MS sites--like Ashton Embry's Direct-MS website--recommend going completely gluten free.

The Direct-MS site says beer, whiskey, and other malt beverages contain gluten. So you might want to avoid those.

My husband, who has MS, drinks wine with dinner on a regular basis. We're on a pretty restrictive diet, and we're pretty good at telling when he has an issue with a certain food. The wine doesn't seem to bother him at all. We're definitely moderate drinkers though.

Since we're believers in the diet connection, we avoid all the mixed drinks from bars/restaurants for fear of what crazy ingredients they put in the pre-packaged mix. But when we have a party or go on vacation, we make our own mojitos and margaritas (with 100% agave tequila) from scratch. I actually just posted a mojito recipe on my personal blog (http://multiplesclerosisrecipes.blogspot.com). I'll try to post the margarita recipe we use, also. You can check it out if you want, but you can also probably just google for recipes. As a bonus, the homemade drinks actually taste much better :D

--Mamacita
lyndacarol
Family Elder

A question for Mamacita

Post by lyndacarol »

Mamacita -- I have a question that I hope you can answer; as a nondrinker, I do not know about these things, but I have suspicions.

I believe that excess insulin has a fundamental role in MS; I try to avoid everything that will trigger the pancreas to produce more of the hormone; I follow a low-carb diet, especially avoiding sugar and artificial sweeteners. I know that beer contains the sugar maltose -- is there a great difference in the amount of sugar found in beer versus the amount of sugar found in wine?
Mamacita
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mamacita »

I have no idea what the sugar content for beer is, so I can't offer a comparison. Way back when, we did look up sugar contents for wine though because we try to limit our sugar intake, also. The dry wines have very little sugar because the sugar of the grapes is converted to alcohol when it ferments. I think the dry wines are kind of "done" when the sugar is gone. I don't remember any of the actual stats that I found (you can google for sugar content of wine), but I usually guesstimate 4g per bottle, to be on the safe side. The 4g came from some sort of European regulation for how much sugar could be in a liter of dry wine. As far as I know, the US doesn't have those same labeling rules, but it was a number I could latch onto, so I did.

The sweeter wines and dessert wines have more sugar. I don't even have a guesstimate for those though because we don't drink them.

-Mamacita
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

This is what drinking alcohol does fer ya.... and I am a professional, kids, don't try this at home. Scene: Yesterday, I fell asleep in the water at the beach after drinkin to much, wife had camera in hand....

Return to “General Discussion”