Drinking alcohol

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Drinking alcohol

Postby hlm286 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:21 pm

I am newly diagnosed and am wondering how drinking alcohol (in moderation of course) affects others with MS and their symptoms. I have been used to having social drinks with friends, but ever since my diagnosis I am scared to even have a glass of wine. I am still experiencing numbness and other symptoms so I'm afraid of anything making it worse. I know I won't want to drink anything until things settle, but even then I'm wondering if drinking alcohol affects MS symptoms at all and how others experience this. This is not a big concern for me, I'm focusing on eating healthy, I'm just curious because I did enjoy a glass of wine with friends now and then and don't know if I should stay away from it or not?
hlm286
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby tara97 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:26 pm

i have not been diagnosed yet but whatever I have makes me intolerant to alchohol. when i take a drink all the muscles in my body cramp and burn my neck hurts and I get a headache in the back of my head. i should just stick to heroin lol.
tara97
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Well.... When I am having a flare up, alcohol,(beer for me) multiplies my symptoms. However, it does not affect me in between. I am talking about an 18 pak a day on my days off too...
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:38 pm

I only received my diagnosis about a year ago, and my symptoms have been relatively minor (lot of tingling and numbness). I don't alcohol affects this for me (and I still tend to overdo it on occasion). If it has, I haven't been able to tell.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:44 pm

patientx wrote:I only received my diagnosis about a year ago, and my symptoms have been relatively minor (lot of tingling and numbness). I don't alcohol affects this for me (and I still tend to overdo it on occasion). If it has, I haven't been able to tell.

Thats the key right there.... Drink enough, and you wont care? :D
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:18 am

Bubba wrote:
patientx wrote:I only received my diagnosis about a year ago, and my symptoms have been relatively minor (lot of tingling and numbness). I don't alcohol affects this for me (and I still tend to overdo it on occasion). If it has, I haven't been able to tell.

Thats the key right there.... Drink enough, and you wont care? :D

Until the next morning. :)
patientx
Family Elder

Postby queenie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:45 am

I have a couple of drinks most days. I haven't found it affects the ms, except in a good way.
When I was on copaxone, I would have one immediately after injecting, and it made me feel better. Also, when my pain has been at its worst, sometimes a good stiff one is the only thing that helps.
queenie
Family Member

Postby od_9 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:22 am

Drinking in moderation doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I generally have a few drinks a day [whiskey and scotch], and as long as it's a moderate amount, it's ok.
However, if I overdo it [it's been known to happen], it really screws me up for at least a day after, sometimes two [typical hangover symptoms, but more severe]. The fatigue and weakness are the worst of it, it's not debilitating, but it's not fun.
My symptoms have been extremely minor since my initial attack 6 years ago [in which my left leg was completely paralyzed, and my right leg completely numb, both problems went away after a few weeks and some steroids], some strange tinglings and occasional weakness, some blurred vision.
od_9

Postby Loobie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:32 pm

It's different for everyone, I can't drink anymore and it pisses me off because I love beer. I drank until I started experiencing lots of dizziness. Now I can't even tolerate one beer or it puts the dizziness out of control. But up until that fun symptom showed up, I drank like I always did. Not a huge drinker, but when camping and stuff I would pound like Bubba!
Loobie
Family Elder

Postby flautenmusik » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 pm

I personally do not drink, not because of symptoms, but because of my medication. I currently am taking Rebif, which has slightly increased my liver enzymes, so I stay away from alcohol just to be on the safe side.
flautenmusik
Family Member

Postby guitarguy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Alcohol doesn't affect me in a negative way at all. Fortunatly!
guitarguy
Family Member

Postby peekaboo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:03 pm

flautenmusik - may i ask if this ID is in English flute music? I love flute music and my here is Jean Pierre rom..can't get it out now..ms fart
peekaboo
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:24 pm

patientx wrote:Until the next morning. :)

Yeppers.... and I am dreading tomorrow morning... :(
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby msmything » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:36 am

I can't drink at all anymore. I guess I could if i didn't have to ever get off the couch....my balance center completely shuts down....I suppose i could train a dog to open the fridge and retrieve a beer..but then how to install a toilet in the couch.
The last time I tied one on was at a friend's wedding.....whoa....
I decided i could dance ( I can't), and on my way down in a spectacular fall i took a couple of other guests down with me. OOPS
msmything
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:34 pm

I think we all need escape to some degree, but to answer your question I have drank before, after and during a relapse and never noticed anything. I seldom get intoxicated, but do indulge daily.
Artifishual
Family Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion