Vision...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Mike56
Family Elder

Post by Mike56 »

Nothing wrong with the cheap drug store cheaters option, Bubba. My eyedoc recommended I save my money and buy those rather than buy some expensive designer glasses from his office. At 53 years old, I'm up to 1.75's now. I keep them scattered all around the house, vehicles, etc.. Because I only need them for reading, if I had only one expensive pair, they'd never be where I need them anyway.

Aging is a wonderful thing......well....at least it beats the altenative!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

http://www2.kemc.co.uk/clients/msrc04/d ... isease.pdf

Plasma homocysteine has repeatedly been identified as a strong independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease, as well as several other disorders...

Krumdieck and Prince (34), for example, have called attention to the close parallels between the hallmark manifestations of homocystinuria (with serum homocysteine concentrations typically >100 µm/L), ie, occlusive vascular disease, osteoporosis, mental deterioration, and ectopia lentis, and the counterpart manifestations of “normal” aging (with serum homocysteine concentrations between 10 and 100 µm/L), ie, occlusive vascular disease, osteoporosis, dementia, and presbyopia.

http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/3401
Biochemistry of homocysteine in health and diseases
The amino acid homocysteine (Hcy), formed from methionine has profound importance in health and diseases. In normal circumstances, it is converted to cysteine and partly remethylated to methionine with the help of vit B12 and folate. However, when normal metabolism is disturbed, due to deficiency of cystathionine-b-synthase, which requires vit B6 for activation, Hcy is accumulated in the blood with an increase of methionine, resulting into mental retardation (homocystinuria type I). A decrease of cysteine may cause eye diseases, due to decrease in the synthesis of glutathione (antioxidant). In homocystinurias type II, III and IV, there is accumulation of Hcy, but a decrease of methionine, thus, there is no mental retardation. Homocysteinemia is found in Marfan syndrome, some cases of type I diabetes and is also linked to smoking and has genetic basis too. In hyperhomocysteinemias (HHcys), clinical manifestations are mental retardation and seizures (type I only), ectopia lentis, secondary glaucoma, optic atrophy, retinal detachment, skeletal abnormalities, osteoporosis, vascular changes, neurological dysfunction and psychiatric symptoms. [hmmm...] Thrombotic and cardiovascular diseases may also be encountered. The harmful effects of homocysteinemias are due to (i) production of oxidants (reactive oxygen species) generated during oxidation of Hcy to homocystine and disulphides in the blood. These could oxidize membrane lipids and proteins, (ii) Hcy can react with proteins with their thiols and form disulphides (thiolation), (iii) it can also be converted to highly reactive thiolactone which could react with the proteins forming -NH-CO- adducts, thus affecting the body proteins and enzymes. Homocystinuria type I is very rare (1 in 12 lakhs only) and is treated with supplementation of vit B6 and cystine. Others are more common and are treated with folate, vit B12 and in selected cases as in methionine synthase deficiency, methionine, avoiding excess. In this review, the role of elevated Hcy levels in cardiovascular, ocular, neurologial and other diseases and the possible therapeutic measures, in addition to the molecular mechanisms involved in deleterious manifestations of homocysteinemia, have been discussed.

if a patient happens to be Type 1 - interesting, interesting...:

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content ... 21/12/2080
Vascular Outcome in Patients With Homocystinuria due to Cystathionine ß-Synthase Deficiency Treated Chronically
An inborn error of metabolism, homocystinuria due to cystathionine ß-synthase deficiency, results in markedly elevated levels of circulating homocysteine. Premature vascular events are the main life-threatening complication. Half of all untreated patients have a vascular event by 30 years of age. We performed a multicenter observational study to assess the effectiveness of long-term homocysteine-lowering treatment in reducing vascular risk in 158 patients. Vascular outcomes were analyzed and effectiveness of treatment in reducing vascular risk was evaluated by comparison of actual to predicted number of vascular events, with the use of historical controls from a landmark study of 629 untreated patients with cystathionine ß-synthase deficiency. The 158 patients had a mean (range) age of 29.4 (4.5 to 70) years; 57 (36%) were more than 30 years old, and 10 (6%) were older than 50 years. There were 2822 patient-years of treatment, with an average of 17.9 years per patient. Plasma homocysteine levels were markedly reduced from pretreatment levels but usually remained moderately elevated. There were 17 vascular events in 12 patients at a mean (range) age of 42.5 (18 to 67) years: pulmonary embolism (n=3), myocardial infarction (n=2), deep venous thrombosis (n=5), cerebrovascular accident (n=3), transient ischemic attack (n=1), sagittal sinus thrombosis (n=1), and abdominal aortic aneurysm (n=2). Without treatment, 112 vascular events would have been expected, for a relative risk of 0.09 (95% CI 0.036 to 0.228; P<0.0001). Treatment regimens designed to lower plasma homocysteine significantly reduce cardiovascular risk in cystathionine ß-synthase deficiency despite imperfect biochemical control. These findings may be relevant to the significance of mild hyperhomocysteinemia that is commonly found in patients with vascular disease... There is now evidence that early treatment delays or prevents ectopia lentis.
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

Mike56 wrote:Nothing wrong with the cheap drug store cheaters option, Bubba. My eyedoc recommended I save my money and buy those rather than buy some expensive designer glasses from his office. At 53 years old, I'm up to 1.75's now. I keep them scattered all around the house, vehicles, etc.. Because I only need them for reading, if I had only one expensive pair, they'd never be where I need them anyway.

Aging is a wonderful thing......well....at least it beats the altenative!
This is true in many cases, but make sure to get your eyes examined by a doc...you may have farsightedness or astigmatism in addition to the presbyopia and may see much better with a prescription.
richjack4

Vision

Post by richjack4 »

For me, vision problems and dizziness have been the death knell for working. I mention them both together because it seems they work in unison. As a fairly intelligent individual, I realize decreased vision acuity is a fact of aging. But MS must play a major role. In April 2006 I had 20/10 vision. That following January it was 20/300. Know I'm getting old (48), but not that fast! My vision problems literally developed overnight. There was no long, drawn out processs leading to it. Simply one day I could see fine, the next it was gone. Been that way now for almost 2 years. It's simply like living life in a blender. Everything moves around, can't get a handle on focusing. My eyes want to focus, they simply just can't. Since my left eye is the better of the two, I have become a master at closing, and at times winking, with my right eye. You can probably envision some of the social dilemas I get myself into! Regardless, it has been the toughest MS symtom to overcome. As I write this I must wear 3.00 cheaters (as Loobie refers to them!) with a screen magnification of 200%. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. But don't suggest Tysabri. Going on my tenth session and it hasn't done doodle yet!.......Rich

http://msdivorceddad.blogspot.com/
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I am having the exact same problem Rich. My eyes feel strained and they won't focus so make me feel as if I am moving around even though I am stationary. I am going to look into CCSVI as that seems to help those with head related probs. Fingers crossed it helps
richjack4

Post by richjack4 »

LR1234 wrote:I am having the exact same problem Rich. My eyes feel strained and they won't focus so make me feel as if I am moving around even though I am stationary. I am going to look into CCSVI as that seems to help those with head related probs. Fingers crossed it helps
Thanks LR......but what is CCSVI?.......thought it was a drug store....heheheheheh
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

have a look at the CCSVI board....its quite a long and complicated concept to get your head around and I know if I try and explain it I will confuse you and probably myself!!! Its a theory to do with blood refluxes in the brain and occluded veins x
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i would think about having a look into your zinc status and by association, vitamin a status. the zinc tends to be low in ms. any 'vision' problems i've had (which in my case are more about processing visual information than actually seeing straight) have resolved since i identified and corrected my zinc deficiency.
richjack4

Post by richjack4 »

LR1234 wrote:have a look at the CCSVI board....its quite a long and complicated concept to get your head around and I know if I try and explain it I will confuse you and probably myself!!! Its a theory to do with blood refluxes in the brain and occluded veins x
sounds similar to arterial ballon treatments?
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

richjack4 wrote:
LR1234 wrote:.....but what is CCSVI?.......thought it was a drug store....heheheheheh

Sweet! a another man with my line of thinking! :lol:

My vision also seemed to go south overnight. No long process. I know age has alot to do with it but since it came on so quick, I assumed MS was playing a role in it. Still have not made it to the Eye Doc yet.

I also get that "ache" behind my eyeballs wich seems to make thhe vision worse. Its not exactly an "ache" though. Its more like a pressure or it feels like I have a weight tied to the back of my eyes. Like I said, cant really say it hurts, just uncomfortable.

JL... I admit, I havent been taking my zinc like i was. Heck, I havent takin it in three months. But, I will go back on it tomorrow!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

good stuff bubba!
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

Believe me, I have great empathy for strange vision problems that some MSers have. I am looking through MS eyes as we speak. In fact my eyes are wonky right now. I am fumbling over words when trying to talk to patients, and my mind seems to be stuck in a thick cloud of blah. Thank you, MS.

Bubba's original post seemed to be as simple a problem as normal aging eyes. I am not trying to diminish other symptoms we can all have.
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

EyeDoc wrote: Bubba's original post seemed to be as simple a problem as normal aging eyes.

And I thank You very much for your responses. No better person to hear possible solutions to my vision problems thanfrom an Eye Doc! I did go back on the Zinc though. It cant hurt. Hopefully I will see some improvement. However, I am also going to see the eye doctor as well...
Thank You everyone for the responses. :D
Artifishual
Family Elder

Post by Artifishual »

i told you to lay off the monkeyspanking Bubba :?

Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”