Vision...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Bubba
Family Elder

Vision...

Post by Bubba »

What is it with the vision. Please tell me something I am not expecting to hear...
I have had decreasing vision, badly, for about three months. It comes and goes, but usually, it sucks, for reading that is. I usually have decreasing vision during "Brain Fog" sessoins. Then it gets better. Now, I always need cheater glasses to see the computer screen, much less read anything. I hate this sh!t..... :(
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

when my brain was the worst, i could still see clearly, but i couldn't understand it. it was hard to drive because i couldn't put together what i was seeing fast enough to make the quick decisions you have to make. i could feel the strain like an ache behind my eye.
that was about the time i found out i was zinc deficient. i fixed it, the problem went away, and has not returned. phew!
zinc really works hand in hand with vitamin A on the vision. i haven't read anything about vitamin A being low in MS, but zinc is certainly on record as a suspect element.
it's important for so many things not just vision. when i fixed my zinc, my uric acid levels shot up into the 'healthy optimal' range for the first time since dx. and i absorb d3 in a flash compared to before.
i think zinc has many more important functions related to ms that i don't know about yet but time will tell :)
Wendigo
Family Elder

Re: Vision...

Post by Wendigo »

Bubba wrote:What is it with the vision. Please tell me something I am not expecting to hear...
I have had decreasing vision, badly, for about three months. It comes and goes, but usually, it sucks, for reading that is. I usually have decreasing vision during "Brain Fog" sessoins. Then it gets better. Now, I always need cheater glasses to see the computer screen, much less read anything. I hate this sh!t..... :(
I hate the vision problem too. I'm 52 and it is hard to differentiate between what is age related and due to the MS. I see fine for driving but my ability to "take everything in" in a split second and make decisions is slowed. I drive so little now and only on well known routes close to home.

Mine comes and goes too - right now I can see this tiny print. Other times I can't focus my eyes on it, probably more indicative of MS than age related. Even a magnifying glass won't help at that time and I've cried in frustration. I wish no one posting on this board had MS or someone they love with it but it is a comfort going some place where people can at relate. So many symptoms are subjective, the people in my life think I'm making stuff up.
Mamacita
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mamacita »

No idea if this will apply for you. However, my husband was having vision problems a ways back, and they seemed to get worse in the middle of the day and the evening. We began to wonder if it was connected either to working in front of an older computer monitor or simply just a sensitivity to sunlight. We eventually got him a pair of glasses that had the UV protection, but no actual prescription. It worked. His vision improved. There is a clear cause/effect thing happening with it for my husband. If he doesn't wear his glasses for a couple of days, his vision problems come back.

So, anyway, I know it sounds a little nutty, but there you have it.
Mamacita
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Take this for what it's worth John, but the whole time this is going on, we are also getting older. I can't even function without my cheaters now. I wear them on a 'granny strap' and everything.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Hey Lew! Your blog is great!
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Thanks Alex!
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

If you are having increasing difficulty with near vision it may simply be age related change. Are you 40ish? Asre you farsighted?
Artifishual
Family Elder

Post by Artifishual »

I'm sure your dad told you that if you kept playing with it one day you'd go blind...... :wink:
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

and it's TRUE, because doing that depletes your ZINC! LOLOL!
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

Artifishual wrote:I'm sure your dad told you that if you kept playing with it one day you'd go blind...... :wink:

Yeah he did.... Now I have to go to him and tell him he was right! 8O Hopefully, he knows howto reverse the problem!!!!

EyeDoc, Yes Sir, I am 41. My last doctor asked me if I was having any trouble seeing? This was 8 months ago. I said "no, why you ask?" He said that at 40yoa, peoples eyesight start going south. Well, I reckon I need to go see the eyedoc!

Lew.... You are probably right. However, Arti may be right as well. So I will let you know after the eye doc visit! :lol:
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bubba i'll repeat here what i said in that pm.. zinc has the potential to prevent age related vision loss. if you're low in zinc, which ms-ers tend to be, you could try correcting it and see if your vision improves at all, or at least stops getting worse. the starting point is to find out your zinc status, if you can, to see if you're low like other ms-ers.
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

41? Hello presbyopia! As in, hello glasses 8O
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

EyeDoc wrote:41? Hello presbyopia! As in, hello glasses 8O
Making an appointment tomorrow. :( :( I did get me some +1.50 cheaters from walmart though! 8)

Return to “General Discussion”