interesting article on the appendix, Lyon please read!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
scorpion
Family Elder

interesting article on the appendix, Lyon please read!

Post by scorpion »

The Appendix: Useful and in Fact Promising

The body's appendix has long been thought of as nothing more than a worthless evolutionary artifact, good for nothing save a potentially lethal case of inflammation.

Now researchers suggest the appendix is a lot more than a useless remnant. Not only was it recently proposed to actually possess a critical function, but scientists now find it appears in nature a lot more often than before thought. And it's possible some of this organ's ancient uses could be recruited by physicians to help the human body fight disease more effectively.

Darwin was also not aware that appendicitis, or a potentially deadly inflammation of the appendix, is not due to a faulty appendix, but rather to cultural changes associated with industrialized society and improved sanitation, Parker said.

"Those changes left our immune systems with too little work and too much time their hands - a recipe for trouble," he said. "Darwin had no way of knowing that the function of the appendix could be rendered obsolete by cultural changes that included widespread use of sewer systems and clean drinking water."

Now that scientists are uncovering the normal function of the appendix, Parker notes a critical question to ask is whether anything can be done to prevent appendicitis. He suggests it might be possible to devise ways to incite our immune systems today in much the same manner that they were challenged back in the Stone Age.

"If modern medicine could figure out a way to do that, we would see far fewer cases of allergies, autoimmune disease, and appendicitis," Parker said.

The scientists detailed their findings online August 12 in the Journal of Evolutionary Biology.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
scorpion
Family Elder

Post by scorpion »

Sounds like they are on the same page as you are regrading the loss of normal evolutionary conditions contributing to immune disorders.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sojourner
Family Member

Post by sojourner »

Well, mine ruptured--what's in store for me??
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

I briefly got on an appendix research kick a while back and did some studying. Seemed to me that we might lose some ability to fight infection without an appendix. I don't have mine anymore. It was removed when I was about thirteen, but I remember someone here posting that they still had theirs, so I assumed it was not an MS issue.
sojourner
Family Member

Post by sojourner »

No not recently, when I was 8 (I was very ill indeed). So far so good for me except for persistently swollen lymph nodes of unexplained origin.

MS skipped me, went to my sister and my husband, and they both have their appendix(es).