Placebos Are Getting More Effective

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Placebos Are Getting More Effective

Postby zap » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Very interesting article about the history and changing power of placebo medications ...

http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/maga ... ntPage=all
zap
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby notasperfectasyou » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 pm

So thinking ...... of how can I pressure Lyon to comment on this - hummmmm.

Where are we now on the possibility of bringing back Tovaxin? Opexa still exists, but I don't follow it anymore. Ken
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:00 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:53 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 am

this is going back a few years and i don't remember what was being tested, but the placebo pill was a quercetin capsule. spare me!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby notasperfectasyou » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 am

Lyon wrote:something more specific??

I was just referencing that one of the issues everyone got upset about was that the trial had a much better than historically normal placebo response. At least that what I remembered. Ken
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Re: Placebos Are Getting More Effective

Postby NHE » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 pm

notasperfectasyou wrote:I was just referencing that one of the issues everyone got upset about was that the trial had a much better than historically normal placebo response. At least that what I remembered. Ken

Opexa's explanation for the observation that you're referring to was that the patients were randomized to the treatment and placebo groups independently of their lesion burden. As it turned out, since lesion burden wasn't taken into account, the patients in the placebo group had an overall lower lesion burden than the treatment group. This characteristic of the study groups and was just by chance. A larger study population may have allowed for a more equal distribution of patient types between the two study groups, i.e., equalized the lesion burden. With a smaller study, such as Opexa's Tovaxin trial, it may have been benefical to have taken lesion burden into account when assigning patients to either the treatment or placebo groups. This would have assured that both groups were starting out on equal ground and would have made for a better assessment of the treatment's potential effectiveness.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby zap » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Mind-body Connection In Placebo Surgery Trial Studied By University Of Denver Researcher

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 084240.htm
zap
Family Elder

Postby notasperfectasyou » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:27 pm

NHE wrote:Opexa's explanation for the observation that you're referring to was that the patients were randomized to the treatment and placebo groups independently of their lesion burden. As it turned out, since lesion burden wasn't taken into account, the patients in the placebo group had an overall lower lesion burden than the treatment group. This characteristic of the study groups and was just by chance. A larger study population may have allowed for a more equal distribution of patient types between the two study groups, i.e., equalized the lesion burden. With a smaller study, such as Opexa's Tovaxin trial, it may have been benefical to have taken lesion burden into account when assigning patients to either the treatment or placebo groups. This would have assured that both groups were starting out on equal ground and would have made for a better assessment of the treatment's potential effectiveness.

NHE

Dang! That is impressive.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby fernando » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:37 am

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=1248

Interesting discussion by a blogger regarding this article. The best part is in the comments section where the author himself addresses several issues.
fernando
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion