Viruses

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Viruses

Postby scoobyjude » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Please forgive me for being so medically and scientifically dense but I have a question and I know all of you are way more intelligent than I. I'm trying to get up the courage to enter the dating world again but it occurs to me that people can be carriers of many different viruses that they aren't even aware they have. As someone with MS ,which as I understand it means I have an overactive immune system and add to that that I am on Rebif, an immune supressant-am I more or less likely to contract a virus?
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby notasperfectasyou » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:38 pm

I don't think so, but I also think Kim's MS is a bacterial pathology. Ken
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Postby catfreak » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Judi,

I don't get the normal cold and viruses that go around. When I was working in an office inviroment someone was sick all the time. I managed to never get normal sick, just MS sick.

I do wash my hands a lot and that helped. Now that I am on Tysabri the Dr says to be careful about being around all of that.

Good luck in the dating scene.

Cat
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
catfreak
Family Elder

Postby scoobyjude » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks Cat. I also don't get sick very often and I used to constantly get sick. Neuro said it could be the Rebif. Who knows. I thought after I was dxed everything else that followed would be nothing but it's all the shit you have to deal with after that sucks. Life with MS makes everything more complicated. Right now I am hating my life and wanting to just crawl in a hole.

On a lighter note, Ken could you expand on the bacterial pathology angle. You've probably explained it a million times but I'm sure I didn't understand it :lol:
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Re: Viruses

Postby patientx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 pm

scoobyjude wrote:Please forgive me for being so medically and scientifically dense but I have a question and I know all of you are way more intelligent than I. I'm trying to get up the courage to enter the dating world again but it occurs to me that people can be carriers of many different viruses that they aren't even aware they have. As someone with MS ,which as I understand it means I have an overactive immune system and add to that that I am on Rebif, an immune supressant-am I more or less likely to contract a virus?

From what I understand Rebif (or any of the interferons) aren't technically immune suppressants.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby scoobyjude » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Patient, do you mean they are immune-modulating and not suppressing? I think I remember that now but remember I'm slow.
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Postby dignan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Scooby, the interferons actually have anti-viral properties, so it would make sense you are getting fewer of the illnesses going around.
dignan
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 pm

The way I understood it, we are less likely to get any cold or virus. I work with the "cream" of the crop. I have to touch and or handle a variety of people on a daily basis, some of them you wouldnt want to touch. I deal with many people who are sick, have colds ect... I never get sick.
That being said...
I did get a virus one time, and I thought I was going to die! It hit me VERY HARD. I think we are immune to alot of them, but if you do get one, be prepared; it may be a dusey! I am also on Rebif...

Bob, How do you spell dusey? doosey? dousey? :oops:
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:17 am

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:45 am

scoobyjude wrote:Patient, do you mean they are immune-modulating and not suppressing? I think I remember that now but remember I'm slow.

Yes, that's what I've always heard and read. Though I never got the term "immune-modulating." To me, it always seemed pretty vague.

So, it's not like you are taking chemo or one of the monoclonal antibodies, and are immune suppressed. Also, I am not on one of the interferons, but I have gotten colds and stomach flu since being diagnosed. So, I'm not sure I buy into the whole overactive immune system.
patientx
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion