Disability/What to do next?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
glyn

Disability/What to do next?

Post by glyn »

My beautiful lady has just applied for her disability in FLA and had her first interview.

She was diagnosed with RRMS earlier this year.

She had left work on temporary disability just last month. The temporary disability has yet to start (mid next month.) She isn't on unemployment.

No insurance and Medicaid won't cover her because of the temporary disability to come.

We recently paid for an MRI and bloodwork out of pocket. My family helped us to have this done.

Within the last month and a half her doctor informed her that her MS/lesions progressed 3 years in 3 months.

I'm on unemployment as well. (hopefully to change very soon but you never know.)

Between us we have a combined 5k in the bank (to LIVE on.)

Our wonderful government has asked for a NEW MRI(without contrast) (do they think the lesions are just going to disappear?), NEW bloodwork, Psych Eval. and at least one other test. All this redundancy comes to a whopping 4k they expect us to just have hanging around to flush down the toilet again.

Oh, and she's on Rebif at the max dosage. We know what that costs.

SO . . . .

My question is . . . . Any suggestions on how to fight through this. Ways we can get the testing done for a more reasonable cost without ending up sleeping under a bridge? Other avenues? Organizations that can help? Clinics for the testing?

Sounds like we have 5 weeks to get all this done. We're on the clock.

Please, any suggestions????? Yes, now we are desperate.

Glyn
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

It's a very tough situation you describe. I feel for you (I know that's little comfort).

One organization you can check with is the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, or your local chapter. I have read (though I have never verified this myself) that they will help pay for at least one MRI.
glyn

Just

Post by glyn »

Thanks for the thoughtfulness

It DOES help provide strength.

I just got off the phone with them (MS Society)

They provided a number to check into some relief for the MRI.

This goes through the MRI Institute.

You're right it is possible.

The Voicemail is there.

Now I'm crossing my fingers and saying my prayer.

G!
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

That's good to hear. I went to their website, to try to find some confirmation of what I wrote, but it was tough navigating through their maze of links. It didn't seem like they provided much concrete help. Mostly I saw advertisements for their fundraisers. It'd be nice to know the money from them goes to more than the half million a year for the director's salary.

Let us know how this works out.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

Glyn,

Did you get any help with testing for your wife?
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

About where in Fla do you live? Close to any universities? sometimes you can get onboard with them at no cost. Not real sure bout that, but thats what I have heard. I go to USF Dept of Neurology. If you are close to here, I can check on it for you.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Glyn
I just sent you a private message
Lori
jay123
Family Elder

Post by jay123 »

I hate to say this because my taxes are high already, but I would think about moving to a state where you could get medicaid a lot easier rather than go totally broke. I know some states you can move to for 30 days and apply for everything, like NY.
Course it might cost you a fortune in warm clothes!!

Good luck