Whats your favorite phrase?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby fernando » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:05 am

Does fictional doctors count?

It really makes me laugh a lot when Dr. House diagnoses someone with MS and says to his team "start with interferon immediately, double dose". And later on, the same day, his team says "the patient is responding to the interferon".

I really prefer Dr. House over some neuros.
fernando
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby jml945 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:36 am

No one on House is every diagnosed with MS, sometimes they are misdiagnosed with it but it usually happens early on in the episode when they think it's MS. And we all know the real dx comes at the very end.
jml945
Family Member

Postby fernando » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:14 am

Yes, that's true. The last episode I saw the patient had sarcoidosis at the end. But so far whenever he says "it's ms" the interferon line follows.
fernando
Family Elder

Postby gibbledygook » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:29 am

Wonder how much advertising revenue the House makes on these mentions!
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Postby msmything » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Oh the anxiety one, love it, i think if you are a woman with 'vague' symptoms you leave an office with antianxiety drugs, and an antidepressant..
My favorite from various ignoramuses is 'oh well, you're still walking, you must not have it too bad..........argh, I can't drive, think, or see less than double, and am really good at falling, but I can walk....
msmything
Family Elder

Postby MrsGeorge » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:57 am

fernando wrote:Does fictional doctors count?

It really makes me laugh a lot when Dr. House diagnoses someone with MS and says to his team "start with interferon immediately, double dose". And later on, the same day, his team says "the patient is responding to the interferon".

lmao - I always think that is ridulous!

For about every symptom I get 'well I've never heard of that as an MS symptom'
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Postby Wonderfulworld » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:46 am

Yes I get that too Mrs George. "That wouldn't be a common symptom of MS".

Or
"that would be an extremely rare symptom with MS". I just sit there and think that then, given my 11 year diagnosis, I probably HAVE the flipping extremely rare symptom, right?

I love the "you should try to avoid stress / take aloe vera / see a reflexologist / try salt-cave therapy / listen to relaxation cd's / see a holistic healer" brigade. :roll:

Best one was courtesy of the retired neuro "You are an interferon failure". No question of the drug failing me. Just the other way around.

Oh oh! Just remembered - Hubby asked the same man what were the side effects of the Mitoxantrone he was proposing for me. "Well, death is one" he said. You have to laugh.

[/i]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Re: Whats your favorite phrase?

Postby Leannedale3 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:08 pm

scorpion wrote:There are phrases I hear and read over and over again relating to MS research that drive me crazy. I thought, to lighten things up a little, we could all list some of the phrases we have all come to know and love. My personal favorite is :

"HOLDS PROMISE FOR THE TREATMENT OF MS"

The one that takes the cake for me was my husbands friend says "so, I hear you have a *little bit* of MS?"

yea, ok, so what the heck does THAT mean? IMHO, you either *have* MS or you don't! I've never heard of having a little bit of ms, LOL
Leannedale3

Postby rainer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:13 pm

Leannedale3 wrote:
yea, ok, so what the heck does THAT mean? IMHO, you either *have* MS or you don't! I've never heard of having a little bit of ms, LOL

You didn't hear? They let you specify quantity now when you order! And with a special coupon they'll thrown in neuropathy and incontinence at half price!
rainer
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:17 am

euphoniaa wrote:"Well, you have definite MS, so pick a drug - it doesn't matter which one."

and the quote "it's never been a better time to get MS"

Yep, heard both of them from my first neuro.... :roll: [/list][/quote]
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby Needled » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:51 am

The one that always gets me going is "Well, you look good."
I guess that means I don't look as awful as they thought I was going to. Terrific. I know they mean well, as do most people, but I get so tired of hearng it. So I just say Thanks. What I really want to say is "Yeah, well, if I looked like I felt most days, you'd probably lay me out in a casket. Wouldn't be looking so good then, now would I?"
Needled
Family Elder

Postby msmything » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:12 am

Exactly Needled, what do they expect us to look like? As lost, confused tired and in pain as we are. they don't know the effort it takes to 'look good'.
It does make me want to come up with a clever response to that genre of comment....ie, you must not have it so bad etc...i have a friend with it for 25 years and she's fine...
By clever I mean something other than the barrage of **** ***** you have no idea how I feel......

Anyone have any ideas????
msmything
Family Elder

Postby Leannedale3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 am

rainer wrote:
Leannedale3 wrote:

You didn't hear? They let you specify quantity now when you order! And with a special coupon they'll thrown in neuropathy and incontinence at half price!

HAHA, now that's funny! I'd like to change my order then and request no more pain, lol
Leannedale3

Postby MrsGeorge » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:14 am

I'm also sick of hearing 'you're copng really well'

like i have a bloody choice! I could curl up into a ball and cry non-stop but then who would pay my rent and bills! I have to find a way to keep going because I have to find a way to keep going!
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Postby Wonderfulworld » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:07 pm

The "you're so brave" cr*p is another line.
What, you expect me not to live just because I've MS?
Brave does not come into it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion