Coenzyme plus

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Absentee
Family Member

Coenzyme plus

Post by Absentee »

HI folks,
I am wondering if anyone is taking coenzyme plus currently or has in the past. If so, what has your experience been? I had to go to urgent care totday for an ear infection and the doc there gave a hearty recommendation for the benefits of that for MS. Usually an MD does not do things like that so it has me thinking. Ideas on dosage would help if you have had a good experience.

THANKS!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, i went looking for stuff on coQ10 (which is what i am assuming you mean) and at this stage i have seen it both recommended for and advised against for ms patients. i have taken it in the past but didn't stick with it.

it's an antioxidant. one of your body's own powerful antioxidants is uric acid, which is known to be low in ms (avg 194) and does fluctuate, getting lower in relapse (avg 160s) and higher in remission (avg 230s). healthy controls sit in the 290-300 neighbourhood. uric acid status is correlated with zinc status. when i boosted my zinc (healthy controls avg 18.2), the uric acid level came up with it. last check, zinc 16.1, uric acid 278.

also ran across this by chance:
Serum levels of coenzyme Q10 in patients with multiple sclerosis. de Bustos F, Jimenez-Jimenez FJ, Molina JA, et al. Acta Neurol Scand 2000;101:209-211.
To elucidate whether serum coenzyme Q10 levels are related with the risk for multiple sclerosis (MS) or are a marker for the activity of the disease, we compared serum levels of coenzyme Q10 and the coenzyme Q10/cholesterol ratio, in 31 patients with MS (during exacerbations) and 19 matched controls using a high performance liquid chromatography technique. The mean serum coenzyme Q10 levels and the coenzyme Q10/cholesterol ratio did not differ significantly between the 2 study groups. The values did not correlate with age, age at onset, and duration of the disease. These results suggest that serum coenzyme Q10 concentrations are unrelated with the risk for MS and are not a useful marker of activity of the disease.
and this, not by chance:
Am J Med Sci. 1986 Nov;292(5):289-92.Oral zinc therapy normalizes serum uric acid level in Wilson's disease patients.
Umeki S, Ohga R, Konishi Y, Yasuda T, Morimoto K, Terao A.
The authors investigated changes in the serum uric acid (s-UrA) level seen in a Wilson's disease patient who had to undergo oral zinc therapy because of the occurrence of D-penicillamine-induced acute sensitivity reactions, including neutrophilic agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia, and skin eruptions. Although s-UrA levels were low before oral zinc therapy (mean +/- SD, 1.60 +/- 0.20), they increased (mean +/- SD, 2.63 +/- 0.32) to within normal range (2.8-8.0 mg/dl) after therapy. There were no significant changes in the renal tubular reabsorption of UrA during oral zinc therapy. This therapy also produced an improvement of the decreased cholinesterase (ChE) values usually seen in Wilson's disease. These results suggest that oral zinc therapy can normalize UrA metabolism in Wilson's disease by improving liver dysfunction and increasing UrA synthesis
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

JL, I have to say that zinc is amazing stuff. I had an eye spam for the first time ever, which was going about a week. It was driving me insane! I don't have MS, either, so I am wondering, what the hell is wrong with me....well I read about your link with stress leaching zinc and started taking the zinc I got for my husband....couldn't believe it, 2 or 3 days later it had just stopped...I just noticed it had disappeared.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi Absentee
I take Co-enzyme Q10 30mg, 1 per day every day.

I started a low dosage of Amitriptyline 25mg last year, because the nerve pain down my right side had got to the point where I wasn't sleeping. The Ami really helped but I found out that it tends to use up CQ10 so I added it to my supplement regime. See here: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/coen ... 000706.htm
Riboflavin also is used up by Ami, but I get enough of that in a multi-vit - it has high levels of B vits. I take products by an Irish company called www.sona.ie

Although I've read in places that it can be an immune stimulant my MS has been very quiet over the last year, thank goodness. I have no reason to stop taking CoQ10 at the moment, I feel very well.

By the way, JL is right about zinc, I added it to the supplements I take and suddenly my Vit D3 levels normalised - it had taken ages to get them up to 150nmol. I take 100% RDA in the multivit and about 3 times a week I take a bit extra in another supplement to give it a boost.
HTH
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

JL, I have to say that zinc is amazing stuff. I had an eye spam for the first time ever, which was going about a week. It was driving me insane! I don't have MS, either, so I am wondering, what the hell is wrong with me....well I read about your link with stress leaching zinc and started taking the zinc I got for my husband....couldn't believe it, 2 or 3 days later it had just stopped...I just noticed it had disappeared.
that is just awesome, i am glad to hear it, and i hope you have the opportunity to pass it on!
By the way, JL is right about zinc, I added it to the supplements I take and suddenly my Vit D3 levels normalised - it had taken ages to get them up to 150nmol.
ww. fantastic. it has to be helping build those 'zinc fingers' on the d3 receptors, seriously.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

jimmylegs wrote: that is just awesome, i am glad to hear it, and i hope you have the opportunity to pass it on!
You bet I have... :lol:
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

thanks for your advice everyone. I guess I will just give it a go with the co-enzyme.

Return to “General Discussion”