Pfizer drug studies fudged, report says

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby Thomas » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:11 am

Analysis of a dozen published studies testing possible new uses for a Pfizer Inc. epilepsy drug found that reporting of the results was often misleading, indicating the medicine worked better than internal company documents showed.

According to the report, when a company-funded study’s primary finding wasn’t favorable, that result was usually buried and something else positive was highlighted, without disclosing the switch.

The documents used in the review were obtained by lawyers suing Pfizer for refunds on prescriptions paid for by insurers and consumers. The lawyers, who are seeking class action status for the cases, claim Pfizer concealed evidence the epilepsy drug Neurontin didn’t work for those unapproved uses, including nerve pain, migraines and bipolar disorder.

Read the whole thing on MSNBC: http://tr.im/F0nJ

I´m starting to lose faith in pharmaceutical companies.
Thomas
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby sou » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:57 am

Did you really have faith in them?

sou
Shortest joke: "We may not be able to cure MS but we can manage its symptoms."
sou
Family Elder

Postby Thomas » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:13 am

no, not really. 8) But I didn´t think much about it before I got MS. After my diagnosis I´ve learned more about how they operate......
Thomas
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:14 pm

pfizer can suck it. half the reason i didn't go with the recommended rebif (or any pHARMa product) was because i didn't want to put 20,000+ a year into their pockets every year for the rest of my life.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion