No more Tysabri, starting Copaxone, will wait for Cladribine

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ewizabeth
Family Elder

No more Tysabri, starting Copaxone, will wait for Cladribine

Post by ewizabeth »

I just spoke to my MS neuro and I'll be starting Copaxone again as soon as the insurance approval comes through and they send it out to me.

I did ok on it and I can take it until Cladribine is approved.

It wouldn't make sense to start Tysabri again for a short time then have to take a drug holiday before starting Cladribine.

I call tomorrow to get the shipments of Copaxone set up and ok'd with my insurance.

So, no more Tysabri for me and I think this is a good plan.

BTW, he thinks Cladribine will still be approved in 2010 but maybe not as soon as he had hoped.
Take care, Ewizabeth Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone RRMS ~Tysabri, 31 infusions, ended 9/09. Starting Copaxone 12/09, waiting for Cladribine to be approved in 2010.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

Yes Bob, I had 31 infusions and I just didn't feel good taking it with all the new PML cases cropping up here and there. Copaxone stings like heck but it works ok for me.

There's been a setback with Cladribine since they somehow messed up the application with the FDA but it should still come out in 2010 sometime. (At least I hope so!)
Take care, Ewizabeth Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone RRMS ~Tysabri, 31 infusions, ended 9/09. Starting Copaxone 12/09, waiting for Cladribine to be approved in 2010.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dejibo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Dejibo »

welcome back to the copaxone cutie club. 8)
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Re: No more Tysabri, starting Copaxone, will wait for Cladri

Post by RuSmolikova »

ewizabeth wrote:BTW, he thinks Cladribine will still be approved in 2010 but maybe not as soon as he had hoped.
Latest news:
http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseact ... ageid=1629
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

Lyon wrote:I've never mentioned it to anyone but if Jamie's MS progressed, Cladribine is what I'm most interested in of the options to be available in the near future.

Her neuro in the Tovaxin clinical trial was trained by Kurtzke at Georgetown and the first thing she told us, almost seemed to be bragging, was that, of her patients on Copaxone she had never had one progress to the wheelchair. That always seemed impressive for some reason. I should have asked her what the hell it meant exactly.
And it has a long safety record too. They also sometimes use it alongside Novantrone for aggressive MS, starting with Novantrone infusions then follow up and stay on Copaxone (I think that's how I recall it.)

The only bad thing for me is the skin dents but I can live with those for another year or two if I have to.

I have more fat than the last time I took it so maybe that won't be a problem as much this time. :oops:
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

Thanks Dej. :)

Thanks for the info Ru. I hope it isn't something that will delay it for too long. They really messed up though because now they might not be the first oral med on the market.