Cannabis shows promise for reducing MS patients' symptoms

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Cannabis shows promise for reducing MS patients' symptoms

Post by MSUK »

ImageDoses of cannabis might help multiple sclerosis (MS) patients subdue their body spasms and move about more easily, according to a new review of recent studies. However, the authors of the paper note, the patients' apparent relief could also be a matter of perception.

After reviewing six trials that tested the effects of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) extracts on muscle spasms in a total of 481 MS patients, the authors found "evidence that combined THC and CBD extracts may provide therapeutic benefit..............." More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseact ... ageid=1815
bigfoot14
Family Elder

Post by bigfoot14 »

it does seem to help my wife....

both by reducing her leg spasmisms, and controlling her nerve pain (better than the combo of valium & vicodan that her Drs proscribe)
which lets her sleep through the night

At her last appt. her neuro suggested she try it, so we found some
(honest officer, it was just laying there in the street)

it seems (for her at least) that smoking it works better than eating it in brownies
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

quoting eve:
I found this interesting piece on the effects of Cannabis on the BBB. I've looked for a recent discussion on BBB but could not find one really. So i'll just post it here, if it's in the wrong place - sorry... (moved from CCSVI sticky)

Cannabinoids inhibit HIV-1 Gp120-mediated insults in brain microvascular endothelial cells.
Lu TS, Avraham HK, Seng S, Tachado SD, Koziel H, Makriyannis A, Avraham S.

Division of Experimental Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA.

HIV-1 infection has significant effect on the immune system as well as on the nervous system. Breakdown of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) is frequently observed in patients with HIV-associated dementia (HAD) despite lack of productive infection of human brain microvascular endothelial cells (HBMEC).

Cellular products and viral proteins secreted by HIV-1 infected cells, such as the HIV-1 Gp120 envelope glycoprotein, play important roles in BBB impairment and HIV-associated dementia development. HBMEC are a major component of the BBB.

Using cocultures of HBMEC and human astrocytes as a model system for human BBB as well as in vivo model, we show for the first time that cannabinoid agonists inhibited HIV-1 Gp120-induced calcium influx mediated by substance P and significantly decreased the permeability of HBMEC as well as prevented tight junction protein down-regulation of ZO-1, claudin-5, and JAM-1 in HBMEC.

Furthermore, cannabinoid agonists inhibited the transmigration of human monocytes across the BBB and blocked the BBB permeability in vivo. These results demonstrate that cannabinoid agonists are able to restore the integrity of HBMEC and the BBB following insults by HIV-1 Gp120. These studies may lead to better strategies for treatment modalities targeted to the BBB following HIV-1 infection of the brain based on cannabinoid pharmacotherapies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18941231
rob257

Post by rob257 »

I have seen it relieve muscle spasms......
Apuman
Family Elder

Post by Apuman »

In my experience, it's made certain symptoms worse directly after use (namely, balance and coordination issues) but has had a more positive overall effect in the following days and weeks.
Slumby
Family Member

Post by Slumby »

I suuggest vaporizing over smoking, I use the vapir brand mini vaporizer, it runs about $100 last I knew. It's a bit of a learning curve, vaporizing, but after a year or so of dipping my toes in the water, I have a system and much prefer it for medicationg. More gentle effect than smoking, I find.

It is also said the the 2 main strains of mj (indica and sativa) effect you differently, but I have not tried a pure version of either.

I'm interested in trying a tincture.

I like to vaporize every 2 days currently, otherwise I can get lazy and depressed. It does seem to help with the spasms and tremor.
Laura

Secondary progressive
14mg aubagio
Edss = 8
Check out my blog!
Laura5myMSstories.blogspot.com